So... Much... Sanding... WARNING! NO FINGERPRINTS LEFT INSIDE! 56k... well your screwed - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
So... Much... Sanding... WARNING! NO FINGERPRINTS LEFT INSIDE! 56k... well your screwed
Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:45 PM
As many of you know, rust plagued my cavalier pretty badly for a long time, I took the skirts off last year and the car has been in a pretty sad state for awhile... well, finally got around to painting it...and brought something different to the table...

Here is the rust... http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&t=415482&a=2

It was far worse than me or my painter expected so after I got back from winter break... I started...

Antenna hole had to get in on the action...

Stripped down, moving over to the rack so I can start on them quarters

HOLY @!#$!

Sectioned the rockers too...

Pile of crap...

POR 15... a great project

Three panels in total including the corners of those structural beams were rusted through... this is a panel I made out of rediculously well fitting pieces of flourescent lamps

pass side rocker, also needed a patch...

First fitting of quarters

Not a bad fit...

Shaved antenna!

Rockers patched, door sills reestablished

Back in the body shop

Previous quarter work...

Cool macro...

more macro... patching one of the holes from the license plate mount

Filler blocked out... Primer sprayed..

Primer blocked out... once...

Second round of primer being blocked out..

Door sills

In the booth!

Wait... thats not white...

Sunburst orange mettalic

Taped off the sunburst... Storm Grey Mettalic going on..

Nissan Winter Frost Pearl

Untaped...

Ready for the shiny stuff!

Clearcoat

Out of the booth!

Closeup of the colors... starting to get a good idea of the pearl... Winter frost pearl, Storm Grey Metallic, and Sunburst orange Metallic

Bumpers. skirts, spoiler, handles, and fuel door...

Almost done!

Got her outside..

Wetsanded... Buffed, Waxed and cleaned...

Enjoy! C&C welcome, Robert Richwine pointed out it looks just like phlatcav's but I promise, painter talked me into pearl, then talked me into the two tone... no infringement meant... also the pinstripe and orange are on the trunklid too as opposed to his.

The grey is a 1/2" pinstripe that divides the orange and pearl white.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards

Re: So... Much... Sanding... WARNING! NO FINGERPRINTS LEFT INSIDE! 56k... well your screwed
Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:51 PM
VERY cool. Love the new look man, good job.

Re: So... Much... Sanding... WARNING! NO FINGERPRINTS LEFT INSIDE! 56k... well your screwed
Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:58 PM
love it... nice color combo.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:04 PM
Awesome!!! I wish I had those metal fab skills. I've got some rust on my 95 sunfire that needs some immediate attn. I like the orange/white mix.

What happen to the rust behind the rear bumper/ trunk area? Did it get repainted too?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:23 PM
Yeah it resembles aaron's a lot. but its still your own colors and scheme.

not sure how much i like the little jump up in front of the mirror.

It needs something else.... idk wheels maybe? not real sure...

Overall i like it. love the color combo's for sure. When I saw sunburst, i was like DAMN, another one! haha. but i like how its all tied together.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:34 PM

I like it. lil sceptic over the point by the mirrors but props for the design. I keep thinking of refreshing mine up this winter or spring but need to decide on the colors.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:49 PM
i miss seeing his builds.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:29 PM
i love the color choice looks mint

Monday, January 23, 2012 12:20 AM
Looks good Alex.

Monday, January 23, 2012 2:12 AM
Well done sir looks great, nice build!
Monday, January 23, 2012 3:45 AM
Well done man. Looks great.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:49 AM
i approve

looking good

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:51 AM
I like it alot!!!

FU Tuning

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:23 AM
Love it, perfect. Im glad your still rockin the old Razzi sides. I used to have those and loved em.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, January 23, 2012 4:35 AM
I approve the use of lighting fixtures in frame work, mostly because I bet half the people who do body work would have just stuffed that with news paper and bondo;ed over it. Looks great too, maybe could have gone a little more pearly/creamy on the white but still came out real good.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, January 23, 2012 5:16 AM
*clapping

Very nicely done two tone, excellent patch work, and lovin the new look! Mad props Alex!

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:42 AM
looks awesome

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:44 AM
looks amazing, man! great job. was always a fan of that scheme on aaron's car. and storm grey, mmmmmmmmm love that color as well.

few things stood out to me, though... when fixing the rust you just por 15'd over some of it on the bottom stitch weld. whats up with that? rust will find a way...

you did ALL that work but didnt remove the windows? hopefully the clear doesnt start receding after a few years by those moldings..

and only thing i dont like about the scheme is what a lot of others have said.. the little droop under the mirrors. ill never understand why people like to "Droop" a two tone line lol but whatever, to each their own!

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, January 23, 2012 6:20 AM
I can dig it.

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:36 AM
Pure win! I love it! New wheels are awesome aswell!

Monday, January 23, 2012 8:19 AM
nice work. cant say im a fan of the way the paint was divided, esp the rear....looks crooked...but props on the work anyway

Monday, January 23, 2012 8:26 AM
Monday, January 23, 2012 8:50 AM
Nice work. That's one hell of a transformation. How did the door jams turn out?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:15 AM
When I first opened this i thought it was a rust fix and touch up job..

And then BAM! Full paint with a nice 2 tone and dividing stripe.
I'm a fan, well done.

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:16 AM
Door Jams unless you had another J next to it you would not be able to tell it was repaired, we just blew in some regular ole white and clear there since the jams get dirty and never really get seen anyway.

I agree on the pearl, kinda wish it would jump out at ya more... But oh well, in the sunlight it really pops around all the curves... So its cherry :-)

The POR 15 was used mostly on top of some surface rust, I cleaned it up as best as possible and even then struggled to find clean metal to weld to, nevertheless every weld joint with the exception of the exterior joints, (like those on the quarters, rockers, and antenna hole) was properly spot welded, then seam sealed using the factory methods to minimize burn back of the coating that I put on the inside of the repair panels.

Thanks for all the kind compliments guys! This has been a long time coming.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search