Convertible or Sunroof? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible or Sunroof?
Friday, December 10, 2010 10:42 AM
I'm getting a sunfire in a few weeks, years 96-99 just wondering the pros and cons of either the conv or sunroof. If i get the sunroof I will have to replace the canvas, any thoughts / opinions on either?

Re: Convertible or Sunroof?
Friday, December 10, 2010 12:08 PM
The main issue you will come across is a higher chance of leaks. If you get a drop top on my vert lasted 12 years before you really could call it poor condition, but it spent most of that time garaged which really helps. Maybe someone else can chime in on how the sunroof holds up?
Friday, December 10, 2010 6:14 PM
Yeah, most likely would store it outside for the summer and then inside for the winter... One problem with verts is the decreased security. I just don't like the idea of someone cutting my top to steal my subs. I'll have to go sunroof instead, if only I didn't have to park it in the ghettos. ><
Friday, December 10, 2010 8:06 PM
If they cut your top youre going to be more worried about that than your subs. Since redoing the tops usually gets quoted out over $500+ for just labor.....

A good condition vert is hard to find too.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:44 AM
Yeh no vert for me.
Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:40 PM
verts are heavier, and thus, slower than their their similarly powered counterpart.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:44 PM
My first cav had a sunroof/moonroof, my current one is a vert. Never had any problems with leaking. Convertibles are very expensive to work on and parts are hard to find. Still I love my drop top and wouldn't trade it. The convertible is definately going to be alot more maintenance.

Also, if your subs are in your trunk, they can't get to them by cutting the top, there is no access to the trunk from the cabin like on the sedans and coupes.

Sig'less since '02!
Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:14 PM
IMO Sunroof>Vert just for the maintenance issue....but goddamn in the summer verts are THE BEST warm nights cruising on the highways..

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:03 AM
@ 95LsCoupe yea that would be soooooooooo niceeeee.... Oh well I just let my friend know I won't be buying his vert... It's a shame people are evil and destroy things for no reason.
Friday, December 17, 2010 10:29 PM
Well, maybe im biased, but i LOVE my vert. yeah there heavier, and such, but with a 00 vert, they cant open the trunk from the inside, and there is no way in hell that they can get the subs out from the inside of the car. So dont worry about stealing stuff. Plus, with a coupe, sedan or vert, if they want ur subs, it is actually easier to get them in a normal hardtop then a vert. The hardtop coupes and sedans have bigger opening from the backseat to the truck, and they can fit it out through there. But its ur choice. I have a 00 vert, my girl just today bought a 00 vert, and she use to have a 96 vert, and I got lucky and found a 99 vert parts car I got for 100. So you can do it, just really means how much do you want to work on them. Any cavalier is going to have issues, but verts are a little more needy. But ill tell you this, THE SUMMER NIGHTS ROCK!!!! I will never give my vert up for a hardtop no matter what. Goodluck to ur choice! Either way its cool with me, bc its still a J.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:06 PM
I would have to say get both lol. Oooo theres a red z24 vert in a nearby pick your part... I wish i could get it and fix up.. Trouble is, interior is half gone and the top is ripped pretty bad... maybe... make it a summer car, no need for the top

Monday, January 03, 2011 12:45 PM
theres no comparison....vert all the way

Monday, January 03, 2011 5:48 PM
vert.

if i had the abilty i would gladly trade my coupe with sunroof for a good condition vert any day even with all the mods i have done already.

the sunroof is nice, but living in phoenix i could use the drop top 80% of the year, that would be amazing.

Eat my shift
Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:04 AM
As long as you have a cover or a garage, vert > coupe all day. I <3 my convertible and I've had it for 4 years now almost. My top is due for a little maintenance, but nothing serious. And the rain/leak issue kind of sucks, but its not that bad. Plus, as mentioned, spring, sumer, and fall are glorious with the top down.

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:31 AM
dont mean to resurrect old threads. but how much/what maitenence difference is there with the vert over hardtop besides the actual vert top. everything else is the same isnt it?
Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:11 AM
I have a sunroof and like it! I live in a 4-season place and have one car, so I don't think I'd personally ever do a convertible...then again, maybe if I tried one, I'd love it!
Monday, June 27, 2011 8:43 PM
Depends on the condition of the top. Mine was re-done before I got the car, but due to a factory defect in the folding mechanism/frame, I have 3 small puncture holes in the roof, 4 years later. They're patched, but the top replacement can run you like $1,000 if you have a shop do it, so take that into consideration. Sunroofs are typically less expensive/maintenance, but verts are a ton of fun.

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search