New to me - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to me
Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:31 PM
Here is our story. "97" Sunfire Convertible 2.4 Loaded.  Paid $1600.00 and a old Taurus sitting out back for the next teenager.   18 year old girl bought it for $3985.00, got a dui can't afford insurance, back window smashed out, Stereo stole, check engine light came on for EGR and TRAC OFF light staying on.  Mechanic tells her needs alignment, two front tires and brakes.   So lets do the math: New rear curtain (materials plus labor) 3 quote average here in Denver $1000.00 Stereo $250.00 with installation EGR 185.00 Trac off light $65.00 an hour/minimum just to diagnose. ??? On Cost to repair. Two tires an alignment and front brakes/rotors  $350.00. Wow poor girl was already up side down. Only had it for a week.   Now for me. Best friend owns shop. EGR taken off cleaned, replaced gasket.  Snap-On diagnostic tool to acuate the internals and makes sure all was good, set it back to 0%. Same Snap-on tool to check TRAC OFF, no codes at all, turns out thumb switch just needed cleaned. Only bought a gasket so far. Found rear curtain online $200.00 ordering today. $150.00 for a stereo. $500.00 for a Set of tires and 17" rims online, them today to. My wife its a manager at a very large parts werehouse so all new Premium brakes/rotor, hardware, ball joints, tie rod ends and links $200.00 with employee discount. Ill do an entire fluid flush and this little car will be new again.   I still have a little money left over from my original $3500.00 budget for a fuel efficient commute car so any ideas would be appreciated. I was thinking cold air intake and exhaust. Not really looking to make a tuner but a little hot rod never hurts.

Re: New to me
Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:27 AM
Welcome to The JBO! Wow! Sounds like you got a killer deal on the Sunfire! Glad to hear you're getting all the issues worked out with it and getting back in tip top shape. An intake and exhaust definitely sounds like a great way to spend your extra money. Post some pictures of your 'vert when you get a chance .

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search