Not allowed to go racing... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Not allowed to go racing...
Friday, May 05, 2006 3:41 PM
OK, here's the short of it, I'm 17 with a clean driving record, paid for the car and all repairs myself, good kid with good grades. I want to go to the local dragstrip tomorrow with two friends (an E36 BMW and a Civic) for their "High School Bracket Races", and being the tool I am, I came home and asked my parents if that was cool. And they say no, because of three reasons:

1. It's dangerous - bear in mind my car is slow and would run 17s...
2. The car's not insured on a racetrack - because there are so many obstacles...
3. What if you break something? - remember I said I fix and pay for it myself?

So my question is whether you guys think this is reasonable or not. They said I could go with my friends and watch them but not drive. Now, frankly, that says to me I can just tell them I'm watching and race anyway, but do you guys think this is reasonable and what would be your suggestions on things to tell them?

Hoping especially for input either from parents or teens who dragrace...

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.

Re: Not allowed to go racing...
Friday, May 05, 2006 4:25 PM
J H wrote:

False - you have a better chance of dieing driving to the track than actually racing on it.

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:50 PM
Thankyou, that was my argument also.

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:53 PM
Are you talking about High School Nationals @ Milan Dragway tomorrow? I'll be there.

And my parents use to be the same way until they actually got to see how it works etc. Then they supported it.
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:10 PM
start talking to them about it, then say "hang on, since u wont let me race im gonna go outside and roll a dewbie.. be back in a bit and we can talk about better ways to spend the time"..

i used that when i wanted to buy this car since i needed a cosigner.... my dad was like 'ok, lets go' after i told him that i might as well just use the 15000dollars i have saved on drugs lol

15.1@90.34mph
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:22 PM
tell them that they can always pick your carcass up off the side of the road after you street race because thats the only outlet they allow you for your hobby....

in all seriousness, there have probably been fewer deaths at 1/4 mile tracks in the last 50 YEARS than there have been deaths on public roadways in the last 3 months.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:31 PM
Just invite them to go. Let them see it in action. Soon, they will see it your way.

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. And to Aaron, yeah, it's that one, I'll look out for your car.

Friday, May 05, 2006 9:45 PM
Parents will be parents; mine were absolutely against the idea of boost but look at me now (blown and loving it). Just bring it up now and then, ask them to come along, tell them you want them to see how you actually enjoy your hobby. With a little bit of persistence, perseverence, and No Complaining I think they'll end up listening to you.

Blown.
Friday, May 05, 2006 10:32 PM
J H wrote:

2. The car's not insured on a racetrack - because there are so many obstacles...
3. What if you break something? - remember I said I fix and pay for it myself?

1. its not anymore dangerous then going to the mall. or the Store. or even playing football. and if something does happen. they have medical people there
2. obstacles? do they think there are trees in the middle of the track or something? and most tracks ive been to have a speed limit in the pit area. dont act like a jackass and keep a look out when moving thru the pit area and you'll be fine
3. yeah you might break something but at least you had fun doing it. and when you fix whatever broke, you can make it better by using better parts

have them come along. they might enjoy seeing there son doing something fun

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, May 05, 2006 10:54 PM
It wouldn't be dangerous in that car!!

@!#$, they don't know anything about cars.

It is not like you step on it and are risking blowing your pinion or twisting a driveshaft. J's have no HP. The chances of losing control are so minimal.

Go do it. As long as your car has fairly low mileage there is no risk of breaking anything. The cars simply don't have the power.

As for the insurance, I have heard that before but I really don't see WHY they care because insurance only seems to work on public roads anyways. If you have a wreck off in the woods they don't cover it. So if you are on the track why should your insurance go up if they aren't going to cover it anyways? It is profiling.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...

Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:47 AM
Nice of you to trash the platform and be helpful at the same time ^^^

Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:07 AM
Haha, true, but David S is right, my car doesn't make enough power to hurt itself and barely enough to hurt me. Well, it's the morning of and my dad thought about it all night and says so long as I'm careful I'm all set. Any last tips?

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:51 AM
I was 18 and at college when my mom said I couldn't so I did it anyway. Car was in my name, I was making the payments.

Now my belief and the same thing I tell everyone else if my car can't survive an autocross it shouldn't be on the road. The same should go for track, especially bracket racing. You can go fast in bracket racing but you don't need to its consitency that wins.

On the other side you could ask one of your friends for a co-drive if your parents are that worried.

Are they worried about you or the car?

Its your parents job to protect you till you know the "worldy ways" and this their probably afraid of something they don't understand.

-Chris

Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:07 AM
Ha, my parents would've done the same thing to me. So I didn't ask them. I called my Dad after I made my first run and told him to guess what I was doing. He heard the cars in the background, didn't believe me. Then I told him my time...then he laughed. I guess he's okay with me dragging now.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283
Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:16 AM
Well, I went... 17.79 woohoo. But I had a ton of fun.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:45 PM
Well i just forged my waiver form......Dad said it was okay at the time because he couldn't go. LOL Tell you parents to go with you and see it before they judge it. Some tracks even allow a passenger. Take your parents for a run down one time if you can do so. I am sure they will see the positives and change there reasoning.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Monday, May 08, 2006 2:06 PM
a car with 20 whp is enough to loose control of , hell you can have a accident just trying to put your socks on

even getting out of bed is dangerous , lol and we do that daily

Monday, May 08, 2006 2:39 PM
I am confused as to why someone would post this in the first place..... I actually got a chuckle out of it. I mean everyone is just telling him what he already thinks. It's not like we can call up his parents and say "You must let him race!" Parents will be parents... Mine were the same way, you just deal with it. Seems pretty trivial.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, May 08, 2006 11:12 PM
You have to get them to go with you next time. I did when I used to race, pretty soon my dad was letting me race his car to see what time it would put down. Its good safe fun....except for once. I got beat a little in my 68 firebird by a new built camaro and at the end of the track his steering locked and he buried the brakes and spun sideways blocking the whole track. I stopped less than a car length from t boneing him....whew...talk about a rush. But with a helmet, sidewalls and emergency crews there I couldnt think of a safer place to crash while racing. Once the parents see how it is and realize that you could be out drinking or doing drugs they will probably come around and support you in it.

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:24 PM
I grew up at the track...... watching Harley drag races..... now thats dangerous......

dont feel so bad, I'm 27 and my (almost) wife says I cant race my car ........ not my street car at least...... not with her knowing

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:24 PM
kids are going to do what they want reguardless and you cant shelter them forever but you can teach them about smart choices, if racing at a track is something they dont want maybe they should consider what would happen if its on the street

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:43 PM
Well it's good to see you got to go, and you had fun...

It's funny though reading posts like this - you're 17 and your parents weren't going to let you. I'm 26, that's 26, I've been basically moved out since I was 18, and my mom still tries to tell me that I should or shouldn't do certain things with my car - i.e. modifying it at all or going to a track. I have definitely modified it, however I haven't yet gone to a track (not because she told me I shouldn't, but simply a matter of my schedule never seeming to work out right). Don't expect your parents to necessarily stop telling you what they do or don't want you doing just because you turn 18.

I agree though, try to get them to come with you and watch - they may end up glad they did. I know my dad has even gotten a little more interested in cars since I started modding mine, although he still can't stand the sound of pretty much any modified exhaust - he says they all sound the same, and to him the same means they all sound like one giant fart.
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:08 PM
don't ask, just do

thats one of life's most valuable lessons

you'll be happier, you'll get more accomplished, you'll advance your career, and you'll get laid more

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:21 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:...and you'll get laid more

Is THAT how some guys get so much when they're single? They don't ask...they just do?

But yeah, I agree, once you MTFO, you're better off to just do it, without mentioning it to anyone (i.e. parents). They'll always have an opinion, not always the one you want to hear either.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search