Not allowed to go racing... - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Not allowed to go racing...
Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:44 PM
Marcus Williams wrote:Well it's good to see you got to go, and you had fun...

It's funny though reading posts like this - you're 17 and your parents weren't going to let you. I'm 26, that's 26, I've been basically moved out since I was 18, and my mom still tries to tell me that I should or shouldn't do certain things with my car - i.e. modifying it at all or going to a track. I have definitely modified it, however I haven't yet gone to a track (not because she told me I shouldn't, but simply a matter of my schedule never seeming to work out right). Don't expect your parents to necessarily stop telling you what they do or don't want you doing just because you turn 18.

I agree though, try to get them to come with you and watch - they may end up glad they did. I know my dad has even gotten a little more interested in cars since I started modding mine, although he still can't stand the sound of pretty much any modified exhaust - he says they all sound the same, and to him the same means they all sound like one giant fart.

It is even funnier when you are taking care of them and they tell you what to do.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...

Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:45 PM
On that note, my 70 y/o mother still tries to tell me not to race mine!

I've taken my 8 y/o daughter with me the couple of time I have gone to the track. She could care less about most of the cars, except for the really loud and fast cars, but she definitely cheers me on! She's got a mild intrest in cars and racing and I'd rather she learn the right way and by example, if she wants to do it herself when she's old enough.

Friday, May 12, 2006 6:34 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:tell them that they can always pick your carcass up off the side of the road after you street race because thats the only outlet they allow you for your hobby....

in all seriousness, there have probably been fewer deaths at 1/4 mile tracks in the last 50 YEARS than there have been deaths on public roadways in the last 3 months.

Precisely. I used to be the same way. My parents wouldn't let me go racing, they knew I had a fast car and were convinced I'd get myself killed. I told them I'm probably gonna race anyway, they might as let me do it in a legal, safe, supervised setting. Surprisingly it worked. It also helped that my neighbor, who was an avid racer, talked to them and even offered to be there to make sure I didn't get stupid.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:20 AM
at first all I did was tell my parents that I went to watch... and then I got a small video of me racing and sat them down, talked to them and showed them exactly what happens at the track. Of course they were a little peaved that I just did it out of the blue, but at the same time after witnessing it they had no problems from then on out. Just gotta prove to them that things will be cool, and they'll eventually understand. Now my parents ask me every so often if I've done anything to my car recently... like "so did you get that thing you were talking bout...?" its kinda funny...

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:06 PM
Bring them, bring the dad, they'll change their attitudes!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search