There's a first time for everything! - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
There's a first time for everything!
Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:30 PM
Hi guys, just a quick hello since this is my first post here.

I'll just start off by saying this was my first time ever at the track, not only with this car but with any other car. So it was basically a learning experience. Car is :

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 Ecotec
Automatic transmission
Base model no option what so ever
Bone stock from A to Z
On the stock 4 seasons Goodyear Conquest, no lowering the tire pressure nothing

This was done on a friday Street car night. Entrance is 5$ so there is no track prep what so ever, 0+0=0! No glue no cleaning up no nothing.

Best out of 8 runs.

Reaction : .007
60' : 2.319
1/8 : 10.192

1/4 : 15.921
MPH : 87.159

I backed this up with 15.933, 15.975, 15.983 and the others in the 16's flat with 16.008, 16.041, 16.063 and 16.076.

My 60' were steady in the 2.3xx range. It was very difficult to launch decently and everyone was affected by this problem. I think I did a really good job on my starts and did not miss a single one.

Like you can see by my reaction time I'm really good with anticipation and thank god I have good reflexes. I was beating low-mid 15 sec cars at the end only on the reaction. None got passed the 60' before me and I went against 13-14 sec cars also. This is a resume of my reactions, warning it's pretty sick! I don't think I'm quite normal in that department.

So this was a first, and it was big time fun. I will return very soon with the only difference in a set of g-Force T/A DR 205/50/R14 on 7" steelies. I believe an automatic Sunfire Ecotec could clock fairly easy a 15.6-15.7 in optimum conditions. With the spare and jack everything, like I said 100% bone stock and nothing removed.

I will post an update as soon as I go and test for the 2nd time. Wish me luck.

Sunfire 2005 Automatic - GMPP S/C + Motor Mounts + Drag Radials - 14.244 @ 96.497

Re: There's a first time for everything!
Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:07 PM
Oh and btw car is a 4 door.

Sunfire 2005 Automatic - GMPP S/C + Motor Mounts + Drag Radials - 14.244 @ 96.497
Sunday, July 16, 2006 5:29 PM
Drag Radials will help you out more if you have some sort of boost. supercharger, turbo, even nitrous. or if you have a high power NA engine.

good times.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 16, 2006 6:08 PM
Yes the main plan right after this is to go with the basic bolt-ons and then a 55 shot. So the DR's are going to be put to the test that's for sure.

Ever heard of 15.6-15.7 stock automatic Eco's? I'd like to know if it's been done already and how often.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 6:33 PM
Nice times for a auto. I have a friend with a 2004 Sunfire auto. I will have to see what they have ran, with a filter and muffler. Those times are very good for a auto and for stock. Lower the tire pressure and play some more. I really do not think drag radials are needed for you, but still good job.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:24 PM
lol i dunno what it is with the auto sedan's, but they always seem to hold it down pretty well in almost-stock trim. Pretty sweet for the first time out man, good job!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 17, 2006 2:29 PM
What do you guys predict I can pull with only DR for a change? And also the day I go might be one that actually has track prep, no el cheapo 5$ night!

Monday, July 17, 2006 5:34 PM
don't run dr's on a practically stock car, its lame. if you really wanted to though, the biggest difference would be seen with tires that are a little smaller in diameter than your stockers, as it would increase your gearing and help you accelerate faster.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, August 05, 2006 5:10 PM
So here's the update, I'm going this Wednesday on the 1/8 (no times) at the Street Drag Night and Friday on the 1/4 for the real deal. I'm hoping for not too hot temperatures because last week it was 40+ C here outside! I will post the new times, hope to atleast drop in the 15.8!

Saturday, August 05, 2006 10:39 PM
2.2 60's should be more than doable on street radials.

5pointO

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:46 AM
I'm shooting more for 2.1x but we'll see when we get there.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:50 AM
2.1's-2.2's will leave you at around 15.5-15.7

It's probably gonna be tough to pull 2.1 60's with no mods and the auto tranny. 15.7 would be pretty good for what you have.

5pointO

Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:45 AM
Oh and after all I went with a pair of 215/60/R14 with 6" steelies. They are on the car now at 26 psi (dead perfect fit) for one week to break them in and once at the track I'll start them at 18-20 psi and move down if necessary.

Monday, August 07, 2006 9:20 PM
good job. stock eco's have gone faster but for your experience thats damn good.

when you go back, COMPLETELY EMTY the trunk. including spare, and carpeting. if you don't like crusing like that all that stuff goes back in just as easy as it came out. also, air up your rear tires to about 40-44psi. and take out the bong(imo, a bongless cavi is still stock)

and let the auto do the shifting. don't try to manually shift it. a stock internal eco doesn't benifit from revving over 5800rpm. there are many, many dyno charts out there to back this up.

tell us how you launch, I think there is still more time to be had in that car as it is now

------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:57 PM
NUTCASE . wrote:good job. stock eco's have gone faster but for your experience thats damn good.

How fast? Don't forget I'm talking bone stock here. Dealer ---› Track

I can say I have a stock Eco but install motor mounts, strut bar, aftermarket suspension etc but I still have a stock Eco powerplant. That's the thing that leads to confusion when people talk using the term "STOCK".

Don't worry on the 1/4 I shove it on D and I let the tranny do the work. On the garbage Goodyear Conquest I was launching at 1500 since I did not mess around with the tire pressure at all (31 or so), on the DR I tested at 2500+ and flooring it right away and it hooks without spinning even with the tires at 26 psi for street use. When I get at the track I'll start at 20 psi and move down, since it's a stock car I don't think I'll need to go really lower (maybe 18).

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:45 PM
if you hook on the street with 26psi you will def hook on the track with that. I think 18 is a bit accessive, you don't have that much hp. remember, take out just enough pressure so that you hook, any less pressure will hurt your traps

as far as whats stock, there can be alot of grey area. with the smaller mods like removing the bong I think its an "imo" thing weather its still stock or not. the things I said to do in the above post I was leaning more towrds the free things you can do to lower your times.(like never racing with more than 1/4 tank of gas)

Quote:

How fast? Don't forget I'm talking bone stock here. Dealer ---› Track

this might help you get an idea what many people run stock http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=48&i=16707&t=16707

keep us updated

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:14 PM
Well I don't think I see anything better auto & bone stock in that thread.

There's some flat 16's and that's about it for best there.

Friday, August 11, 2006 10:26 PM
Update is here!

Rained out, twice in the waiting lines and twice the storm restarted. Result a big 0 run made.

Returning this coming Sunday.

Friday, August 11, 2006 11:29 PM
I f'ng hate those days.

especially when I'm doing brackes and I get to the final 8 or something. s'it makes me want to punch a baby sometimes

Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:47 AM
Yes it's entrance fees for nothing, gas burned for nothing to ride down there and somewhat of time lost since nothing came out of it. The only positive is that I met with some J-Body friends and we talked during the night. Meteo was saying the weather would be 20% chances of shower in the late day and 0% during the night, hell we even had rain during the night. Plus the drive back home in the rain with the Drag Radials up front that you must be careful with big time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search