Questions about what's legal - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Questions about what's legal
Monday, November 19, 2007 11:52 AM
Ok the cavy I have has set in my yard for to long now. So I have decided to turn it into a little racer but I want to stay street legal as for I want to drive it around every now and then. My question is what do I have to keep to remain street legal and what all can I get rid of? I want to go as light as possible but still be functionable for the every now and then trips around town. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Adam

Re: Questions about what's legal
Monday, November 19, 2007 12:43 PM
what do you plan on doing that makes you think it wont be "street legal" ???
Monday, November 19, 2007 3:27 PM
I basically want to strip everything out of the inside except what is necessary and I want to put fiberglass hood and fenders on as well. I will be putting a roll cage and two front seats but don't really want anything else.
Monday, November 19, 2007 5:46 PM
you have to keep the restrictor plate on.

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:02 PM

Not sure about legality but the cop that saw it earlier last week didnt say anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 19, 2007 6:03 PM

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:09 AM
There's someone that isn't getting laided in his car.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:26 PM
^^^^ Hahahahahahahaha

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:45 PM
I did something similar, but I still have the dashboard, but no door pannels.

Caution: Redneck Posting
pic042707_6.jpg
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:31 PM
Only reason for the door panel is so that there is still one armrest for use and the door has a lot of sharp objects on it.

More weight will come out next year.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:04 PM
Quote:

Engine: 2.2L OHV
Transmission: Automatic

I know the OHV groupies are gonna get on my case, but a motor and tranny swap should be first on the list.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:10 PM
nope gonna throw money into this money pit and build up the OHV just to prove some stuff to my friends and a few other people.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:14 PM
Also if I did a swap I would go for the 3800 series engine. Will it fit with out to much trouble and if so what all would I need to have for the swap? Still gonna build up the 2.2 but wonder about this cause I know where I can get a 3800 series engine around here for like $150 then I would build it as well. Just questions.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:55 PM
^
Look for topics started by Raven.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:51 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Only reason for the door panel is so that there is still one armrest for use and the door has a lot of sharp objects on it.

More weight will come out next year.

true, on the sharp objects, I cut the crap out of my arm on the bracket that supported the armrest, but all I have to do is drill out the rivets that hold it on. That will probably solve the annoying rattle I hear when I accelerate, the noise of the Megan Racing "muffler" is so much that everything in there vibrates.

pic042707_6.jpg
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:55 PM
Try having a brace welded to your exhaust and bolted directly to your floor pan.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:00 PM
geez, why'd you do that?

pic042707_6.jpg
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:05 PM
Because no matter how well a 3" system may have been designed and built it just doesnt sit right on my car without the brace.

I dont like my exhaust 1.5" off the ground.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:09 PM
OK, that would be a good reason. I am going to change my exhaust with a custom minimal mandrel bent one, just got to insulat the gas tank, so I'll understand what its like to have a low hanging exhaust.

pic042707_6.jpg
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:17 PM
Adam Foster wrote:nope gonna throw money into this money pit and build up the OHV just to prove some stuff to my friends and a few other people.

thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Why the hell would you dump money into your "money pit" just to proce a point? Hell you can send me a few hundred bucks and prove the same point... that your an idiot.

cavs are a waste of money to begin with, knowly modding the worst engine ever to put in a J is just to prove a point is an even bigger waste of money

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:56 PM
lights, belts and wipers. all you need to technically be legal

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:36 AM
You sir are a dumb ass.......referring to Darkstar the jackass.........what I do is my choice. I didn't put this up here for an idiot to come in and pop off at the mouth when he don't know Sh*t!!! Why did you come in here anyway, wait I mean why are you even on this site and why do you own 2 Cavaliers if they are such pieces of sh*t.

I better stop there before I get myself in trouble. I also wanted to say this....you went to UTI and chose to learn about German @!#$e. Why? Do you not like american made stuff? Oh, wait I forgot your a dumb ass.......

Everyone else thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:09 AM
I now know how to post pics(Bout freakin time) my interior

Golfbags not in there anymore

pic042707_6.jpg
Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:10 AM
oh, and I painted everything flat black.

pic042707_6.jpg
Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:23 AM
Adam Foster wrote:You sir are a dumb ass.......referring to Darkstar the jackass.........what I do is my choice. I didn't put this up here for an idiot to come in and pop off at the mouth when he don't know Sh*t!!! Why did you come in here anyway, wait I mean why are you even on this site and why do you own 2 Cavaliers if they are such pieces of sh*t.

I better stop there before I get myself in trouble. I also wanted to say this....you went to UTI and chose to learn about German @!#$e. Why? Do you not like american made stuff? Oh, wait I forgot your a dumb ass.......

Everyone else thanks for the comments and suggestions.

HAHA best response ever dude he hates VW's with a passion haha. Plus they keep breaking so thats job security.

I too know a cavalier is a pile of crap. I think we all do. The reason we do stuff to them because its not only fun but hey why not?

Trust me had the 2200. its a waste. i never put money into it for anyone else. not even me. Now that i have an ecotec, im building it for me. not to impress ford drivers, or anyone else. its because i want to impress me.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:01 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:im building it for me. not to impress ford drivers, or anyone else. its because i want to impress me.

Pretty much the only reason anybody should mod their car. If you want to say it's to impress others or whatever, that's fine. If at the end of the day you're not happy, then you've just wasted your money.

By the way, just looking at your signature for a few minutes and... I love your car. That color is ridiculously sexy. I'm going to steal your car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search