My new talon - Page 3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My new talon
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:48 AM
wont have pictures for alittle bit. Cam to a @!#$ on me.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:09 AM
Damn that sucks. Hope everything works out

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:09 AM
From rice to nice....

Like seeing this project take some form. Best of luck with everything dude.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:56 PM
Short Hand wrote:AND Most of the 2nd gens still on the road with a 4g63 are all patched up and fixed,

Correct you are sir!

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:00 PM
That paint is gonna be a b!tch to prep for real paint. It gums up sand paper.

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:44 AM
im not ever gonna really paint it.

pics!:
the under drive pulley

painted cam gears

intake manifold spacer

new tires

egr block off plates

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:23 PM
Nice work so far on the Talon. I may be getting a Talon myself but its gonna be a 92. ( only if the guy decides to trade me it for my gold Cav.LOL) I can't wait to see your finished product once its done.

JBO Member since 2006.
Friday, October 31, 2008 10:23 PM
more pics!!!!!!!

Finally after working on it for 3 weeks on and off inbetween work and stuff. The head is finally off!!
The engine bay:

I dunno if you can see it or not but theres still good crosshatching on the walls:

The pistons are kinda black tho:

The head:

The cams:

This intake is so damn big that they needed to use 2 bracets to support it lol these wont be put back on:

Tonght im gonna clean the head up, Gasket match the head and intake and do alittle head port work. Then polish the exhaust ports up nice. Then install all the aftermaket stuff then paint the intake and fuel rail.
Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:24 AM
didn't get as much done as i wanted too. Got the head apart and the intake taken apart. The inside of the intake was coated with oil? This notmal? i didn't think it was.
Head by itself:

Freakin Valves are burnt bad. guess i gotta take them out and clean them. anyone have any tips on cleaning them??

Started the gasket matching but this looks like its alot of metal to remove. Anyone else think this is alot?

Inbetween the 2 little red lines on each pic. Sorry the lines are really small.
and of coarse the lonly intake

Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:34 PM
heads up start searching for new transmissions, Beat the piss out of it all the time and you are prone to blowing the spider gear out the bottom of the tranny, seen it first hand on my buddies 420a 5-speed eclipse. I would own one the handle like they are on rails.......keep the pic's commin nice job on the paint.
Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:31 PM
If its the same trans as the Eclipse mentioned above then ya........ My friends Eclipse has gone through like 4 rebuilds in like 6 months. No 3rd when he got it. Then bad clutch. Then clutch again. Now 5th is out. It would go into the gears but not out without stopping and yanking it out.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:18 PM
Well i went out and got myself a valve spring compressor the other day and came home to find out that you need a speical one to compress the springs in the 420A head. The tool costs $197.... F*ck that. After searching ebay for something that might work i found one. Ordered it and it wont come in for another week or so. So being the impatient person and wantin this head cleaned and painted i made myself one. This is what i come up with lol

I took a peice of 2" thick round bar and c clamped them to 2 steel saw horses im using for a table, then used a peice of angle iron for a handle then a peice of pipe that fit on the spring retainer. Pull down on the handle and the spring compresses. Used a magnut to pull the stops out and bang done!. Only took me maybe 20 mins to do all of them. Not pretty but it works!
Pics of the bare head:

Anyone have any suggestions on what to soak the head in to clean the grease, oil, and carbon out of the head?
Pics of inside the ports. The exahust is really bad with carbon:

Springs and such:

Valves soaking in Carasine:

Other pics
Painted fuel rail:

also i tried to port the intake but this happened:

The grinding tip got clogged with the metarial from the intake. I really dnt know what to do now. Any suggestions?
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:06 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:
The Redneck wrote:never understood the point of a 15 inch tach on a car that has a tach from the factory. have fun and thanks for de-ebaying it before putting it back on the road.

Most factory tachs are calibrated to be "smooth" moving not accurate. They didn't expect you to be racing it.

Seriously.... my 07 G5 has a 700rpm lag in the tach... you'll hear it bounce off the rev limiter about 4 times before the tach catches up to it...

G5CLUB.net
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:31 PM
Why are you revving the @!#$ out of your G5?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Monday, November 10, 2008 11:56 PM
more pics:
Painted the lower half of the intake

started to port it too

And i was told to soak the head in this stuff called Puple Power. This @!#$ is awsome!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:53 AM
Heres the head fully cleaned
Inside the exhaust ports it left some kinda white build up but now that its dried out it comes off like powder?

and it kinda funked up the out side

but its clean as hell.
After pulley the head out i stuck the top half of the intake in it to soak for awhile. Here some pics of the inside of it

All that oil and @!#$ is from the EGR. And you wonder why im blockin it off.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:54 AM
forgot to post this yesterday. I got this is the mail. Its all the vaccum hose i need to replace everything in the engine bay.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:42 PM
so something special showed up today : )
My Valve Cover!!!!

Only thing i dont like about it is that they sanded the letters down again.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:27 PM
Just don't be an idiot like a kid I know and use that silicone junk for your brake booster vacuum haha.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:58 PM
nice progress on the talon man keep it up...

------

http://corpsemangler.fortunecity.com
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:21 PM
The 6 bolt 4g63 have no more crank walk than the 7 bolt and I believe from '90 to prior to April 92,the TSI 4g63's could handle 500 hp on the stock internals but nice pickup for the money.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:53 AM
thanks guys. I kinda got a major issue with the head now. That purple power left a powder like crap all over the inside of the head. It only comes off it i scrub it or wire brush it. Im gonna take it to a shop today and see what they think about it. Hopfully they can clean it. if not i guess i'll be getting a new head.
Friday, November 14, 2008 12:35 AM
so its been one hell of a day. First i've deicided that the head is basicly beyond anything i can do to save. Im gonna take it to a machine shop tomorrow morning and see if they think they can clean it up and deck it for me. 2nd i believe the valves were beyond bring back to life their burnt pretty bad. 3rd My dremal took a @!#$ on me toniht in the middle of me porting out the intake. So that wont be finshed. This projects taking longer and longer
Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:01 AM
like my last post this entire week just sucked major dick! My dremal over heated on me and fried, so i cant finish the porting because i dont have money to got get a new one since i had to buy a new head (story later!). I pulled something in my leg so i can barely walk. Girl at work quit so im pickin up the slack (keep telling myself, more money for the cars, more money for the cars). Because of bad advice from a org member here the head that came on the engine is worthless now. The degrease i was recommended to use to clean it basically ate the head and casued it to form a powder on everything and it wont come off. So i had to get a head. Found a guy selling one for 125 shipped with everything and it came from a running engine and guarantees its good, we'll see. onto pics
since i dont really have anything to do till the head comes i assembled the intake mani:

After

Here you can see the intake spacer and EGR block off plate

I never really looked at the TB till now and wow its all kinds of F*cked up

The plate is covered in crap from the EGR. Tried to take it apart to clean it and of coarse one bolt snaped and all the others will not budge. Guess it'll work till i can get a 58mm one.
I wanted to get red hoses that matched the rad hoses from OBX and i thought i found some that matched. NOPE
This is what i got

This is what i need

And a good old Pic of the worthless head

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:00 AM
Yesterday i walk out to go to work and it was freakin SNOWING!!!! that made me think Well maybe i should get my ass in gear and get this project done so i can use it for my winter beater. So i wake up nice and early this morning to work on it.

My pile of parts

Yeap ladies and gents thats ice on the windows

Me wrapped up like im goin to war in russia

I can see my breath

the engine just like i left it

just a bit rustier, that aint good
So my first order of business is to swap the water pumps
Old

New

The i went to get my torque wrench to get the bolts set. Yea i get to use my brand new torque wrench thats been sitting around since last x-mas!!!! NNNOO its a 3/4 in drive... God damn it. time to run to sears.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search