My new talon - Page 5 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My new talon
Monday, December 22, 2008 7:22 PM
well i tried to start the talon 3 times but the battery seems to be fubar lol. its chargin still since the last 3 times was just trin with a booster pack.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:54 AM
Check out this Talon at www.hesspower.com,they had it for sale for $22,900

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:03 PM
Checked out their site. They do some nice work.
Big news tho

She got started!!!! Charged the battery and turned the key and VVVOOOOOOOMMMM! started with no problem. She has alittle miss to it but everthing will be worked out soon. I'll post a video maybe toniht or sometime tomorrow.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:24 PM
well i cant win with this car. Temp sensor was leakin so i went to tighten it down and the @!#$in housing split!!! Now im pissed.
Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:40 PM
well ordered a new housing. hopfully it'll be here soon. other then that nothing new.
Friday, December 26, 2008 8:34 AM
Any plans on boosting?I heard the 420A's are really only good for 6psi or so on a stock motor

Friday, December 26, 2008 3:19 PM
That's the truth. The 420a's take low amounts of boost fairly well. But for the price of a turbo setup you could sell your car and get a TSI with the 4g63... Although you may have some fun trying to make that engine work well. Or finding a car in nice condition... And yeah I know, crankwalk...

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:13 AM
actually yes i am goin to boost it when the sunfire is finished. Basicly just for @!#$s a giggles. I have all the turbo parts here from the 2.4 build i was gonna go do. More updates tonight.
Sunday, December 28, 2008 12:48 AM
55mm tb. got it installed tonight. now just waiting on the new thermostate housing.

Thursday, January 01, 2009 11:52 PM
welp the new housing came in and installed it. Talons up and runing again. Heres some pics
gauges showing proof that its running:

I'll have a video up in the morning of it running
Also started on the sub and amp set up
Took the old spare tire cover out that was busted all to hell:

and traced it onto MDF

and the amp and sub, Amp is a Rockford P2002 and the sub is a Alpine Type-E

Same stuff i had in my sunfire
And this showed up at my door couple weeks ago but i forgot about it

guess whats inside.........

Thats right Tokico Blues. Im goin to use Eibach Prokit on them.
Also i picked these up over the summer for my sunfire, but since the sunfires going to be all show im gonna use 18"+ rims so im gonna put these on the Talon instead

More tomorrow.
Friday, January 02, 2009 1:29 PM
wow your talon look really better than the start congrats for your good work

Friday, January 02, 2009 10:43 PM
well the video wont upload right now. anyways took it for a ride to night and wow def a upgrade from the 95hp 2200 sunfire lol
Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:22 AM
And so it lives.... Took it out tonight and wow i love driving it. At first 3rd gear was really weird. First and 2nd would pull bad ass, then i'd hit 3rd and bbbaaaahhhh it would bog out hardcore then 4th and 5th would pick up. After driving it 3rd picked up and worked fine. Got a vaccum leak to track down now. Start the car and it idles at 1.5k and when warm around 2k not good lol. Im going to take it outthis week for a photo shot. I'll post them then
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 2:26 AM
found the leak!! seems when they did the TB they actually overbored it to much and cut into a vaccum chamber before the butterfly, witch inturn left air in when the plate was shut. So i just blocked off that vaccum line and moved it to one of the other hose connects on the intake and all is fine now.
Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:35 AM
Looking good. For cheap, a junkyard Jeep TB can be fitted to give 57mm. Good job de-ricing it, so far.

Earlier in the thread, somebody mentioned that the 420a was only good for 6psi on factory internals, that is false. It is not a limitation of the internals, rather the fuel system used on most budget-built turbo kits. The 12:1 FMU and 255HP FP can safely push you around at ~8psi. (on a 50-trim sized turbo, 9-10psi on the tiny 14b or T-25) With a proper fuel system and tune, (read: MegaSquirt) the factory internals have held up fine to 14+ psi on a 16g turbo. A cheap but reliable turbo-kit can be pieced together for under $1000.

Somebody also mentioned the 4g63 being prone to crankwalk - any engine can crankwalk, but it is true that some of the 4g63's were more likely to suffer from it than others. The 7bolt found in 2g's were susceptible to crankwalk until '99. The '93, '94, and '99 7bolts did not have the crankwalk problem, nor the 6bolt's. The 420a does not have this problem.

Check out http://www.dsmtuners.com and http://www.2gnt.com if you haven't already.

---
Locke
'99 Eclipse
Thursday, January 08, 2009 2:30 PM
The 4G63-7Bolt (1992.5-1999) A select few of the 7-bolt engines built from 1995-1999 have had issues called "crankwalk", which refers to excess axial movement of the crankshaft. Most people suffering from Crankwalk had modified their engines for more power, therefore voiding warranties from Mitsubishi Motors. Although it is a known fact that the 7-bolt configuration is more likely to crankwalk vs. a 6-bolt configuration under more power than they were originally designed for, it does not mean that a rebuilt 7-bolt block is guaranteed to crankwalk. Albeit enthusiasts still recommend a 6-bolt block when rebuilding the 4G63. Note that it is possible for any engine to crankwalk, but because of the increased volume of enthusiasts rebuilding their 1G and 2G Eclipses, the community of DSM owners have noted that rebuilt 7-bolt blocks are more likely to Crankwalk over rebuilt 6-bolt blocks.

Wiki page

Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:12 PM
yea im on both of those sites and DSMtalk and DSMsource. The Jeep TB is 60mm so i dont wanna go that big till i turbo it.
Friday, January 09, 2009 2:59 PM
WElp got it allgood and LEGAL today so now i can start actually driving the damn thing. More pics of the system tonight
Friday, January 09, 2009 5:19 PM
awesome work on it, man! can't wait to see it in the spring all done!
Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:04 PM
sub box all cut up and put together and ready to drop in when it stops snowing.
This will sit down insde the the spare tire well.

and with the sub in

and i sprayed rubbized undercoating on the inside of the box, bottom of the face, and all around the seams ( had a big can i wanted to use up)

The reason i went with a set up like this is becuase i wanted something that didn't take up space in the hatch and also didn't slide around alot. Since the hatch area is massive i really didn't wanna lose any of that. Plus this will sit down under the carpet so now one will know its there unless they look for it.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:44 AM
welp so far i put 140 miles on it and so far so good. Ordered a Symborski shifter kit for it that showed up today. Basicly it replaces the rubber bushings that are inbetween the shifter base and the shifter with metal ones. i'll get pics tom.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:01 AM
some up date pics
since this is what my headlights look like now after all the work i put into them. I guess they were just to far gone to save.

These showed up at my door couple days ago

MMMM new and CLEAR!!
this is the shift kit i got

Dont you look it when winter helps two tone your car

Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:14 PM
little bit of a shoot tonight. My cam sucks in the dark and living in a small country area there really isn't many places to take pics at. Plus it was 4* out... thats cold for me!!!

action shot!!!! ( not really i was shivering)

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:32 AM
This car has come a LONG way. Looks really good compared to when you first got it.

Really makes me miss driving my Eclipse. Eh...I'll get it fixed sooner or later.

Keep up the good work.
Friday, January 16, 2009 2:24 PM
thanks man. I wanna work on it so bad but its freakin 4* outside today again and i dont do cold very well. Tell you one thing these things are so god damn noisey inside. Theres no sound deadening in them at all. its a nice car tho. Has heat and it runs so im happy. I know your not suppost to talk about this onhere but o h well, i beat a smart ass kid in a mazda 3 yesterday in on my way to work. he never stood a chance
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search