The Buick. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Buick.
Monday, April 12, 2010 7:04 PM
So... my Father and I have a new project... should be a bit more fun than the Cav

1940 Buick Special, with a 1986 Z28 rear end and front suspension, power disk brakes, a 350 swap and a 3 speed auto on the floor... Runs and it's road legal. It needs some work, but most everything seems to be done the right way. It's set up to drag and my Dad is looking for a cruiser, but I think we can come to a good middle ground

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Re: The Buick.
Monday, April 12, 2010 7:09 PM
Lol, what the heck is up with people posting OTHER cars in the wrong forum this week?

Btw, that should be fun to work on

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, April 12, 2010 7:13 PM
Oh... damn... sorry

Yeah I'm pumped

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, April 12, 2010 7:21 PM
Love the wheels lol

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:00 PM
WHITECAVY(the bash falln one) wrote:Lol, what the heck is up with people posting OTHER cars in the wrong forum this week?

Btw, that should be fun to work on

Yeah, what the @!#$????????

Supercharged 2002 Cavalier Z24
J-Body Bash Veteran
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:02 AM
Yeah I'm an idiot...

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:33 PM
i see a cav in that last pic so i say it counts. looks tits man and hope you have some fun with it

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:37 PM
looks good but seems like someone half assed the car together before you guys got it.
Monday, April 12, 2010 10:42 PM
Nice! You'll have fun with this.

I just got done putting my father-in-law's 1939 Oldsmobile on a 1980 full-size GM chassis. Perfect match in wheelbase and track width. Perhaps I will post some pics here in a new thread if you guys are interested.

Keep that old iron running!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:48 PM
^Do that, bill!

nice old buick! have fun with it.

Check out my build thread!

Monday, April 12, 2010 11:04 PM
even if it was done nicely. i wouldn't like it. never did, never will.

WiGM-Tuners member.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:10 AM
The car is an effing mess.

Seriously though...

I love those old 40's cars. So much character. The body looks so pristine, its a shame the previous owner skimped out on the interior and doodled that fuel cell together. I love the car. Are you going to install a standard gas tank? The steel dash would look great either just polished metal, or painted black.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:18 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:Nice! You'll have fun with this.

I just got done putting my father-in-law's 1939 Oldsmobile on a 1980 full-size GM chassis. Perfect match in wheelbase and track width. Perhaps I will post some pics here in a new thread if you guys are interested.

Keep that old iron running!

Definitely post that up, I'd be interested in seeing how you did things. This car actually had the front frame chopped off, and the front end of the Camaro welded on, along with the rear end boxed in.

ScottaWhite wrote:The car is an effing mess.

Seriously though...

I love those old 40's cars. So much character. The body looks so pristine, its a shame the previous owner skimped out on the interior and doodled that fuel cell together. I love the car. Are you going to install a standard gas tank? The steel dash would look great either just polished metal, or painted black.

Yeah the guy seems to have just thrown it together. I'm not sure if we are going to put a stock tank in it or a fuel cell that sits flush with the bottom of the trunk. We've got some clean up work to do, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:52 PM
Thanks to which ever mod that moved the thread, I appreciate it

Bit of tinkering tonight, I got the voltage gauge working, which was only connecting two wires, lol, and dug a bit deeper into the car to check things out. The fuel level sending unit was also wired incorrectly.

But, we found out it has an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and a Summit Racing 4 barrel dual pumper carb on it

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:11 PM
Looks like a good start. I have a 34 plymouth four door. You don't find too much love for four doors but you get them cheap compared to two doors. Sounds like you need to really go over all of the wiring and make sure it's safe and clean it up. I wired my car with a Ron Francis kit. I also got a stainless steel gas tank from Rock Valley pricey stuff but top quality and they make tanks for most older cars and can do custom tanks. Do you guys have any plans for it in the near future?
Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:00 AM
meh buick to me has to have a 3.8 V6 in there

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:10 AM
Chopped34 wrote:Looks like a good start. I have a 34 plymouth four door. You don't find too much love for four doors but you get them cheap compared to two doors. Sounds like you need to really go over all of the wiring and make sure it's safe and clean it up. I wired my car with a Ron Francis kit. I also got a stainless steel gas tank from Rock Valley pricey stuff but top quality and they make tanks for most older cars and can do custom tanks. Do you guys have any plans for it in the near future?

I've never cared for sedans, but the rear suicide doors make up for it

We were looking at the wiring better last night, it definitely has a universal wiring kit in it, and he didn't make the smartest connections, but it won't be too hard to go through and clean everything up.

Tentative plans are to relocate the battery to the trunk, clean up all the wiring, tuck the engine bay, lower the back end, wheels, shave the holes in the front bumper, buy headlights with the amber signals built in, LED tail lights, custom fit reverse lights into the bumper holes in the rear bumper and get the wipers working. Then we'll probably swap to the stock fuel tank, move the engine back, and about an inch higher.

For the interior we want bucket seats for the front, but the back is going to stay a bench. decent sound system, with everything hidden, and a radio that looks like it came in the car. Possibly a 10" sub hidden in the trunk, nothing huge, just so it sounds nice.

Long term we want to switch to EFI, have the interior redone perfessionally, better brakes, and of course, more POWAAAAA

Rodimus Prime wrote:meh buick to me has to have a 3.8 V6 in there

So I've broke 300 and now you wan't me to go back?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:27 PM
I threw some pontiac fiero buckets in mine real cheap and a sporty looking seat. The best thing about my plymouth is all four doors are suicide from the factory.
Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:21 PM
i had a 41 buick if u do a search u will find it here .never did do anything with it tho.send it to a more loving home with more money i thought anyway.it has just sat since should buy it back.beautiful 40.hope u have a better time finding parts than i did 41 was a 1 yr car

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:43 PM
We're pretty lucky, all the drive train is pretty new, so the main components are still pretty easy to find. Not to mention all the body panels are in great shape. We just have some chrome we need to find, but that' why we're going down to Spring Carlisle

Both my father and I agree, restoring it to its original state would cost a fortune, and be kind of boring. So we're leaning towards a clean old car on the outside, and all the bells and whistles on the inside, but all hidden from plain sight.

We got the plates on tonight, and pulled the stupid front plate mount off. I figure if I can drive around with no front signals, no reflectors and no seat belts completely legally, they can shove their front plate right up their ass.

Took it and got it washed, looks much better without bird @!#$ all over it, haha. Pics of it clean tomorrow.

This car is beyond awesome to cruise around in, it's a hand full without power steering and just a gear steering box, but I kept finding myself grinning ear to ear. Stopped to get gas, everyone just stops and stairs at the car, start it, everyone stops and stairs at the car rev it a bit to smooth the idle out, and some lady gives me a dirty look. Go to the store, everyone stops and stairs at the car, pull out of the store, one guy actually stopped and pointed, hahahaa. Man what an experience... And wow does it pull at 60mph, it just GOES.

My Cav isn't going to get any attention at this pace...

Also, found out the extra pair of chrome exhaust tips I have that didn't fit on my Cav, fit the Buick perfectly, so they might be going on soon.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:24 PM
Found the reason that our fuel gauge wasn't working, turns out the magnet that closes the reed switches fell out of the float, luckly we found it on the bottom of the tank.

That led us to a new problem though, we've tried switching all the wires we can, but no matter what we do, the Autometer fuel gauge shows full when it's empty, and empty when it's full. Any ideas?

We also went down to the junkyard and pulled a power steering pump off of an 89 Camaro RS, it cleaned up nicely, but I think I'm going to have to emphasize the use of masking tape and light coats to my father...

Then we started pulling the front end apart to make room for the power steering pump and a cooler that we ordered from Napa.

We just have to make some brackets to mount the power steering pump and alternator.

Power steering cooler will be going on the front side of the radiator, and we think we're going to hide an electric fan up there too, so we can ditch the engine fan.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:26 PM
A simple power steering pump installation has escalated quite quickly... hahaha

Pulled the whole front end off, and found out that the radiator was all plugged up and unfixable, so, a new brass radiator with the tranny cooler built in is on the way. I think we might possibly run the old tranny cooler as an oil cooler. Not sure yet. Also pulled the fan the second pulley, and painted the water pump black.

Power steering pump has also been mounted, lines will be hooked up once Napa gets them in.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:05 PM
Alternator bracket has been started, and we installed the water pump. We also decided we wanted a different mount for the power steering pump, so we are working on a new mount for that also.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:06 PM
We went down to Spring Carlisle last weekend, picked up a few cool parts for cheap

$10 for a Buick air cleaner stud, it was the only one we saw there all day and the guy kind of flipped out on us when we asked to buy just it, since it was paired with a really small Buick air cleaner. Turns out we were like the 20th person to ask to just buy the stud, haha. We set it down and turned to walk out and we here from behind us... "FINE, $10! I'm sick of people asking about the damn thing!"

We also picked up a chrome flywheel cover from the same guy, we were missing one and it was only $20.

On to the progress... we picked up a Zirgo 3000 CFM electric fan to replace the engine fan, with a wiring harness and electric thermostat... Still waiting on the radiator re-core to come back so we can mount everything.

The power steering pump lines we picked up turned out to have different threads than the gear box that was on it, so we ran down to the junkyard and picked up a different gear box. Brought it home to take it apart, and when we tapped the spindle to take the linkage off, the back of the housing just snapped off...

Luckly! That cover just swapped from the old gear box. We also realized that the splines were different, so we had to tear the gear box apart and swap the valve. Very cool how these old power gear boxes work...

All installed, just waiting for the radiator since the low pressure line runs out in front of the car as an oil cooler.

We also finished up the accessory mounts, still room for an A/C compressor

Interior isn't half bad for being 70 years old...

Worlds biggest back seat... I wonder how many people got laid in the back of this thing... LMAO

Lastly we pulled the valve covers to clean the chrome up and check the rockers out... turns out it has 194 cast iron heads, which aren't crazy for power but they are bullet proof, some porting will fix that though

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:24 PM
I like. I like. Dont see a lot of love for old cars anymore.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search