My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7
Friday, July 10, 2009 10:16 PM
well, today i picked up my new project. its a 1976 jeep cj-7. its got the 4.2l motor, 258ci with a 4 speed manual tranny. runs and drives great! the 4 speed is a far cry from any 5 speed cavalier lol. It takes a little getting used to.

The body is pretty well gone, so i'll be looking for a used cj or wrangler tub very soon, otherwise i've got a lot of work to do on the original tub.

I only got one pic of it from when i picked it up, so here it is. hopefully tomorrow or sunday i can get a couple more pics to post up.

Not too bad for an $800 running project.

Check out my build thread!

Re: My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7
Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:36 PM
4.0 ho head swap jeeps are fun here in the winter i have a zj my self

see ya!

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:46 PM
Love it!!!

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:49 PM
Just finished putting a new valve cover gasket on it, and hooked up the choke. The exhaust was shot, so yesterday i threw a cherry bomb on it for the time being.

Hopefully tomorrow i'll be welding in some patches in the floor until i can locate a different tub.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:14 AM
nice project man!

my roomie just picked up a 78 cj5 about a month or so ago. 258 w 3 spd. runs like a champ, but we are also looking for a new tub. im trying to get her to save up for fiberglass and im watching forum classifieds and craigslist for a good deal on a used one, but her stock tub is still do able for awhile, even though its already been rewelded with sheet metal.

immediate plans include: just rebuilt the carb and will be replacing the tranny over winter most likely, and im going to have to rig up a cd player for her since she doesnt even have a radio in it right now. but im def havin fun workin on it!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:31 AM
mine doesn't have a radio in it either at the moment, so i'll be putting a cd player in it fairly soon.

right now, i'm just focusing on getting it to run like a top, i think it needs a new ignition coil or a distributor, so that'll get fixed then i plan to rebuild the stock carter carb to replace the motorcraft thats on it now. then i'm gonna have some fun with it!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:38 AM
nice grab! Excited to see your progress.

I'm currently looking into either a CJ or a Scout project. The Scout really has my eye, but the old CJ's are just so high on the coolness factor.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:12 PM
RuggedZ wrote:mine doesn't have a radio in it either at the moment, so i'll be putting a cd player in it fairly soon.

let me know when you do this. even though im sure its a simple thing to do, i havent the slightest idea when it comes to the old cj wiring for the stock radio into the harness on a newer cd player. or if i get to it first ill let you know how it goes...

RuggedZ wrote:i plan to rebuild the stock carter carb to replace the motorcraft thats on it now.
let me know if you need any carter parts. we bought a new (used) carb to rebuild and put on it so ive got the stock one sitting in pieces in a box in the closet.

J03Y wrote:but the old CJ's are just so high on the coolness factor.

word. get a cj! plenty of parts, both aftermarket and stock, and the interchangeability spans 20-30+ years on some things. ive been reading up on swapping a wrangler tub onto the cj frame for a quick, easy fix for the body.

also, ive got the haynes manual in PDF format if either of you are interested in it.

edit: btw....here is a short, pointless vid i took a few weeks ago

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:15 PM

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:24 PM
best toy ever! congrates on the buy!
i myself had an 86 cj7

Sunday, November 01, 2009 1:18 AM
well i've made a little progress on the jeep. it was pretty "afro-engineered" (excuse my poor wording) so me and my dad spent some time getting it to run right and cleaning up the engine bay. so far we cleaned up some of the blocked off lines, installed a manual choke, added a breather, rebuilt the motorcraft carb, and replaced the air cleaner that was stolen off it with an edelbrock air cleaner.

this weekend we made a trip to Minneapolis and picked up a YJ tub and front clip, for $475. couldn't pass up that deal. now we won't have to waste the time on fixing the current tub.

right now, the plan is to paint the cj7 yellow, the shade the new wranglers are, with some black rock-guards and more than likely a black painted roll bar.

i'm very excited about putting the yj tub on. it needs a little body work, but since this is my first real "project vehicle" i can't wait to start on it. it's got a few dents and creases right now, and i don't expect it to end up being perfect, but hopefully it will look good enough to hit up some trails. right now, i'm thinking about converting the yj fenders to tube fenders and throwing them on, as my cj fenders have a little rust on the inside. also on the to-do list, a heater core, and a new windshield.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:37 PM
i dunno if anyone's interested, but i made a little more headway on the cj this weekend. sorry no pics to show any progress i made, but i started the teardown on the old tub, got the seats out and the front clip unbolted. i guess the most work i got down was cleaning up the garage and building a new workbench and shelving unit. now that the garage is cleaned up, tools in order, i should be able to get quite a bit of work done over winter break.

progress is slower than i'd like, with classes and everything. i'm definitely hoping to find some time to tear it down more this weekend. i'm not sure if i'll get around to it though, with shotgun deer season opening. we'll see i guess. i really want to get the old tub off so i can start working on cleaning up the frame a little bit. oh joy, i can't wait for that.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:36 PM
Nice! I had done some rubicon replica decals for a guy who wanted his older jeep jazzed up some. Let me know if theres anything i can do for you through a PM

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:29 AM
i just might need a set made up. i'll definitely let you know when the time comes!

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:38 PM
Looks like that Yj tub needs some work. Good luck buddy.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:02 PM
^ definite understatement lol but thanks. it needs quite a bit of work, but its a much better base than my current tub. my grandpa and my uncle both know body work inside and out so that will really help. it will definitely be a learning experience. but, its my first real project vehicle, and its a jeep, so it doesn't need to be perfect. and i don't expect it to be either. chances are it's gonna get dinged up on tree limbs and such out hunting and riding trails anyway. it will just be a treat to drive it without big holes in the floorboards.

my real is to have a street legal daily driver that i can have some fun on the trails with on weekends.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:14 PM
thats gonna be a fun project for sure! keep us updated man!
Friday, December 04, 2009 11:45 AM
RuggedZ wrote:^ definite understatement lol but thanks. it needs quite a bit of work, but its a much better base than my current tub. my grandpa and my uncle both know body work inside and out so that will really help. it will definitely be a learning experience. but, its my first real project vehicle, and its a jeep, so it doesn't need to be perfect. and i don't expect it to be either. chances are it's gonna get dinged up on tree limbs and such out hunting and riding trails anyway. it will just be a treat to drive it without big holes in the floorboards.

my real is to have a street legal daily driver that i can have some fun on the trails with on weekends.

I've had 3 CJ's in my lifetime, so if you have any type of question, need parts tracked down, or mods, let me know. I am your man! I still technically own two CJ's.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.
Friday, December 04, 2009 4:13 PM
^ sounds good! thanks! i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions for you soon enough lol

Monday, March 08, 2010 7:51 PM
aaaand the parts are finally coming in.

Smittybilt tubular front and rear bumpers. Picked up the pair for $40 total.

rear bumper will stay as is, front bumper will have a tubular push bar fabbed onto it.

i've got more parts on the way from quadtratec.com. Hopefully they'll be in this week.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:24 AM
If i were going with that era of Jeep, I'd go with the Golden Eagle graphics . Looks good, though.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:39 AM
i do love the golden eagles, but i dont wanna badge it as something its not. i'll probably keep graphics to a minimum on my beast.

i am, however, kicking around the idea of painting it OD green.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:27 AM
got these 2 packages from the nicest UPS guy:

open them up to find these goodies:

my complete urethane kit and new fender flares!

i should be getting an additional 3 packages in the next week; those will be my windshield, driver's side front fender, and the Monstaliner bedliner kit i ordered to do the interior of the tub with.

Friday, March 12, 2010 10:29 AM
windshield came in this morning! if anyone here has a jeep that they need parts for, definitely go with quadratec.com. great prices, and super fast shipping! i ordered my parts on monday and had them here yesterday.

back on topic, heading to the parts store today to pick up a valve cover and a turn signal cam. i haven't had any time lately to do any actual work to the jeep, but i'm hoping to tomorrow and sunday.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:58 PM
finally got around to workin on the jeep a little bit. it took longer to dig it out of the snowbank it was parked in but we managed to pull it out with the old chevy truck.

took off the hood, fenders, spare tire carrier, unbolted the windshield, spare tire carrier, took out the dash and pulled all the wiring. i'm hoping to have the new tub mounted this coming weekend.

also found out i need new winshield hinges (boo). $100 for those @!#$s.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 11:00 PM
i demand more pics....i want to get a jeep as a toy.

selling my truck....let me know if your interested.
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/1600725733.html
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search