My 98 GAGT - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 98 GAGT
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:21 PM
what it has become. was fully stock. 8000k headlights and fogs. upper prothane insert, lower prothane dog mount, WAI, lowering springs, V6 z24 stb, custom dual exhaust, new L/R tyc headlight assembly.

Re: My 98 GAGT
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:31 PM
Nice car are the hids 35 watt or 55?

i ordered the same intake you did lol good old ebay

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:44 PM
Why isn't the intake bolted to the power steering mount?
Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:45 AM
^Thought the same thing.

A debadge would do wonders.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:18 AM
What is the deal with the fender stripe thing? Never got why people do that to any and every car lol

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:30 PM
Well?
The car isn't awful. But HID's in stock halogen headlights are not only dangerous for other drivers, it's tacky. Lose the fender hash marks, it's cool on Corvette Grand Sports...and nothing else really. It's not a Corvette, it's not even a Chevy, I say ditch them, The car will look much cleaner without them because........You have too much black going on, on that car. The rims, the grille, the stripes, the tail lights. The stripes just add too much to that contrast. Contrast should complement the cars look, not over power it..

Ditch the stripes (trust me it will look so much more clean and less "boy racer")
Have a reliable guy or shop make retro projectors for you so your HID's don't glare all over the place. (and you'll have a truly cool and original custom part)
Re-paint the wheels a lighter gunmetal color or even get a set of used 5x100 Z24 or Cobalt SS wheels.

You're off to a good start though. But IMHO the first thing you need to do right now is pull those stripes. Followed by hunting down a set of Cobalt SS rims at a junk yard or online somewhere. I think the SS wheels would look sick on there, they even came from the factory in optional gunmetal.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:59 PM
uhhh..... cobalts aren't 5x100 bolt pattern! his car (96-98 ga are 5x100) the 5 lug balts are 5x110. even if it was a newer ga.... those are 5x115. not saying they can't be done w/ adapters tho.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:43 PM
I just have to say i don't feel welcome at this site after posting pics of my car. everyone picked it apart.

and as far as the fender stripes are concerned I love them and no its not a corvette. but mopars had them back in the day too. the original meaning behind the the fender stripes it was actually done with tape back in the 60's on the pit side of the car to tell the difference between cars. so its not just a corvette thing. I am going to debadge it. just hasn't been on top of my to do list. and retro fitted HID's are cool and all but I think projector headlights are ugly as sin. and not every factory car with HID's has projector headlights. and the intake is yes from ebay so it doesn't mount to that bracket properly. I painted the nostrals of the car just because. the front bumper needs to be replaced anyway. and too much black? hmm ok to each their own... and I am not going to change my car because one person doesn't like it...and as far as the wheels go you guys probably won't like this idea either. but I am trying to find some 16x8 in. staggered wheels not the traditional 40 offset.
k im done ranting lol

and the HID's are 35 watts.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:00 PM
Hey. I think it's nice. It is yours and like you said, do whatever you want. Not everybody here is nice. I too give people crap, but only for stupid posts. This is not a bad post and welcome to J-Body.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:02 PM
Quote:

I just have to say i don't feel welcome at this site after posting pics of my car. everyone picked it apart.

Hey you are welcome here. People were just pointing out remarks about your mods.

I think everything is ok minus the fender stripes.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:38 PM
You post pics, you get opinions. whether we like it, hate it or otherwise. People will always speak their mind. Just read past the remarks you don't want to see, and keep living your life. You seriously need to not let the words of some fools on a forum discourage you. With that said, I think your car has been modded in a fairly tacky manner thus far.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:46 PM
I think its kind of a mess to be honest.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:56 PM
I wasn't mean, just giving you solid advice on things you can do to clean it up. You're totally welcome here. But know anytime you post pictures of your car online you will get positive comments and constructive criticism....and of course just get blasted by people that hate what you did. As long as you know that going in, and realize that what you think is cool might not exactly be as cool as you thought and grow a thick skin to criticisms about it you'll be fine.

Seriously though the HID's in those stock housings are not only illegal, but dangerous to other drivers. There's nothing cool about blinding people just to look cool. I'm saying that to make you feel unwelcome or to be mean. that's just truth man. Sorry.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:58 PM
02_redbadged wrote:uhhh..... cobalts aren't 5x100 bolt pattern! his car (96-98 ga are 5x100) the 5 lug balts are 5x110. even if it was a newer ga.... those are 5x115. not saying they can't be done w/ adapters tho.

Damn. seriously? My bad then i thought the older SS 'balts were 5x100. Ok, forget what i said....unless you get adapters. Which might not be bad a set of adapter and used wheels would still be cheaper than after market wheels.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:28 PM
i can dig it.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:37 PM
Dan Kindelberger wrote:and as far as the fender stripes are concerned I love them and no its not a corvette. but mopars had them back in the day too. the original meaning behind the the fender stripes it was actually done with tape back in the 60's on the pit side of the car to tell the difference between cars. so its not just a corvette thing.
I wasn't aware that Grand-Ams were a Mopar product from the 60's, or that your GAGT was "track" car. With that cleared up I'm glad you did it, It makes perfect sense now. I wouldn't want your pit crew to confuse your Mopar Grand-Am with one made by Pontiac during a race. As long as it's functional that makes sense, I think we all just assumed this car was your daily driver and you put ugly stripes on it because it looked cool with your eBay HID's. /sarcasm
Dan Kindelberger wrote:retro fitted HID's are cool and all but I think projector headlights are ugly as sin. and not every factory car with HID's has projector headlights.

Yeah and those cars come with housings specifically designed to to be used with HID systems. Yours is designed for Halogen bulbs....VERY different ways that those lights work. By putting HID's in a stock halogen housing your just scattering light all over the place with no cut off. Blinding people for no reason other than because you think they look cool. And completely ignorant to how HID's work.
Dan Kindelberger wrote:I painted the nostrals of the car just because. the front bumper needs to be replaced anyway.

I actually like the grilles black. Keep those. that caught my eye first and I dug it.
Dan Kindelberger wrote:as the wheels go you guys probably won't like this idea either. but I am trying to find some 16x8 in. staggered wheels not the traditional 40 offset..

I for one love this idea. I'm really liking the staggered/stance look that's hot right now.

Don't be so defensive when someone says something about your car you don't like. It's like blood in the water.

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Friday, April 15, 2011 8:44 AM

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:32 PM
lol poptarts.

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:57 PM
I like how it looks. Good so far. I would do two things that really stand out like a sore thumb.
-Remove the fender stripes
-Adjust the fit and finish of the hood. First start at the hood latch and bring it down to lower that gap. Then on the two rubber stops at each end, lower a little to the point when you close the hood, it becomes flush to the fender.

I wouldn't change anything else especially no debadge.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, April 15, 2011 7:53 PM
the gap you see isn't the hood. its the bumper. i think the core support is facked... but I think I am leaving it as is for awhile. just got a new job and saving for a V8 car or another S13
Friday, April 15, 2011 10:05 PM
I miss my s13... good times.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:38 AM
Overall, a really nice GAGT ! Everyone has pretty much already covered what I don't like about it. The HIDs are a no no (I agree with you about projector headlights being ugly though), the fender stripes and the black grilles look out of place to me and I definitely think a de-badging on the doors would give it a much cleaner look. These are just things that I would change if it were my car. I am in no way bashing you or the car. It's your car and as long as you're happy with it, that's all that really matters.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:15 PM
i will debadge it but someone before me did a @!#$ty job on trying to repaint the fender and painted it on the car instead of by itself, and used the extra clear all the way down the side of the car. so long story short debadging the other side would look like garbage cuz they clears over the badges...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search