Corvair lowrider update - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Corvair lowrider update
Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:36 PM
Some may remember this thread: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=214191&t=199307&p=1 Well It's been through a few changes since I updated it last. Basically I restored the engine bay, swapped out the Camaro 15" wheels for 17x7 eagle alloys with 215-40-17's riding on a 3" drop with 3 way adjustable shocks. I removed the stock strut rods with blown 45 year old bushings and camber adjusting bolts and modified C4 corvette adjustable strut rods with heim ends for camber. I swapped in amber high beams, swapped in '65 tail lights and plasti-dipped the rear cove area. I modified the fuel system for a front mounted electric fuel pump, and replaced/re-routed all the lines. I'm sure there's a million things I've done in between. but that's the interesting stuff.

engine before with swiss cheese battery tray:

Now:

Ass end plasti-dipped:

It was lowered just last weekend, and turned out great!

And here's the car as of yesterday

Re: Corvair lowrider update
Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:53 PM
That sir is pretty damn cool .

Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:21 PM
Mother @!#$ing pimp!
Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:36 PM
Friggin beautiful sir.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:41 PM
I've always loved it. Followed the old thread for sure... BUT. As clean, mint, and absolutely gorgeous as it is, why amber highs? I mean... fog lights are amber to cut through fog easier. You turn your high beams off in the fog. So you're cutting down their effectiveness for what?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:33 PM
Pretty slick little ride there!

Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:32 PM
not what i would call a lowrider, but def looks good nonetheless. interior pics?

keep it up

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:47 AM
looking really good. love a nice clean engine bay, and really like that color blue as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, May 16, 2011 6:47 AM
That car would turn a ton of heads where I live.

I love it.

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:53 AM
Love that car I always wanted to build a corvair, done exactly how I would do it wanna trade?

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:01 AM
i dig it

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:52 AM
That thing is amazing. And I remember following the progress thread.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:47 AM
Boxer engine, air cooled engine is WINNING!
I hated Ralph Nader for doing what he did with this car, he was biased and against this car, but not Porsche with the similar setup and suspension design... what an asshole.
I absolutely love your car man. And it looks spectacular. Totally well done. Please keep us updated.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:21 PM
That thing is wicked!! I love it!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:58 PM
Thanks everyone, It's nice to get a 'younger' perspective on the car as I'm usually talking to retiree's
I guess the car isn't a "lowrider" per-se, but in the world of corvairs, it is. The amber lights are purely for looks, however they do perform well in fog. They are era correct, and a common modification. I think the old thread has interior pics, but it's nothing to write home about, just swapped in Mazda3 seats, re-wrapped the dash pad, new floors, new carpet, new din radio bezel with modern radio. My door cards are next. Cheers!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:02 PM
looking good. any tips on rebuilding the engine? i have one i recently aquired and she turns freely but has sat many years.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:39 PM
Nothing is much different in terms of rebuilding. Why do you think it needs rebuilding? I'd check the compression, set the valves, rebuild the carbs and re-seal the engine. Unless it's in need of something serious, run it. A good rebuild will run upwards of $3000, which is $1000 more than I paid for my car......

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:11 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Boxer engine, air cooled engine is WINNING!
I hated Ralph Nader for doing what he did with this car, he was biased and against this car, but not Porsche with the similar setup and suspension design... what an asshole.
I absolutely love your car man. And it looks spectacular. Totally well done. Please keep us updated.

Nader was right about some of the things he wrote about, but that was directed towards pre 1965. From that point on the cars were fixed and relatively safe for that era. If that book hadn't been written and people weren't scared away who knows maybe the Corvair line would have never died, I wish it hadn't.

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:31 AM
so damn sexy !!

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Friday, May 20, 2011 4:21 AM
well im not sure if it does or not. the motor thats on this chassi has been sitting outside exposed for some years(now resting comfy and warm in the garage lol). i do know the carbs are probally fowled from the gas. i have yet to try but the prior owner has said it did turn freely when spun by hand so at least shes not locked. yea thats 2500 more then i paid for my car lol. I would like to save this motor and run it since the car does need other work. I just also wanna have a lil peice of mine that if i drove say two to the beach that she will still get me home aswell. any good manuels or books i should look for that could help fixing up this motor. any way to tell what year motor i have as well(if motors were diff)? i appreciate the input.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:17 PM
My favorite manual is the 1965 GM manual. It lists every system, and all the maintenance required. Another is "How to keep your corvair alive" by Richard finch. I'd bank on rebuilding the carbs, you can get the kits at napa for $20 each. Find the engine number (top of the engine, on the casing just forward of the fuel pump) if it has a generator, it's an early (60-64) an alternator means it's a '65-69. You could have anything between an 80hp, 95hp, 110hp, 4 carb 140hp or single carb turbo 180hp. there are a lot of differences in engines.

Car got rained on today while I worked on the daily's rear brakes. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:27 PM
i love how it gives off that euro feel.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:52 AM
Car looks great as always but where is the center grill for the rear above the exhaust?

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:49 PM
Sitting in my garage, It's not in the condition I'd like, plus I've been doing some tuning and it's a bit easier to tell when the engine is up to operating temps via the 2 rear flaps, which the air grill covers.

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:59 PM
what no wayders love for the rear panel? lol

car looks great man!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search