A Car from Downunder... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A Car from Downunder...
Monday, May 02, 2011 12:20 PM
First of all, let me say...WOW, i had no idea there was any where like this forum for these types of cars...

so...I am from Australia, and own a 1988 Nissan SVD Pulsar, now as odd as this may seem to some, in aus, our local built pulsar's through a deal with holden down here saw these cars fitted with the GM Family II 18LE motor that was also in our Camira's... The best we had to look forward to, was basically a stock 1.8L with nothing else...no turbo variants nothing...

Here's some Pictures.

Now with these cars being exclusive to australia and then being tinkered by SVD these limited edition models got a few little bonuses such as the tuned length Stainless steel extractors (which are the best extractors we can get in aus) Bilstein's all round, front Recaro seats, and a Viscous LSD 5 speed manual.

The reason i've come here is, because in australia, there is no one really who tinkers with or modifies the GM engine's when the easiest option is to just rip it out and put a CA18DET in its place, but, i've got a soft spot for these motors and have come to the conclusion i really want to hot my one up a bit...

Now, we don't have access to alot of parts for these, and from all the reading i've done from people who have modified these motors was basically racking all the crank conrods pistons and cam out of the 20LE motors the camira's here had.

I've got a factory Turbo manifold for the motor but (due to stupid restrictions of government has in place for younger drivers...) can't drive a turbo yet, and being a daily driver once i retire my other car i'd like it to still have a bit of poke...

So, are there any other modification suggestions you guys can add to the equation, especially with the AUS dollar being as strong as it is, im not too worried about buying parts from the US if i can find someone to ship them down for me

Thanks, Jason.

Re: A Car from Downunder...
Monday, May 02, 2011 12:35 PM
Do you have any more information on the transmission?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, May 02, 2011 12:44 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Do you have any more information on the transmission?

not really, i would say though it is a nissan transmission funnily enough, because they bolt right up to the CA motors and the viscous LSD was imported from japan when they were building the cars
Monday, May 02, 2011 1:07 PM
It's Nissan's CVT prototype.
Monday, May 02, 2011 2:39 PM
Well now that is interesting. Cool car.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Monday, May 02, 2011 5:53 PM
i wonder if the Sunbird Turbo set-up would fit on that motor, looks like that's the motor it is more or less

Monday, May 02, 2011 6:04 PM
Can't drive a turbo'd car because of age??! Poop on that!

Monday, May 02, 2011 9:43 PM
So Family II makes it the same engine in our Sunbirds? Iirc, someone of v6z24.com did a european 16 Valve DOHC head swap on a 2.0 SOHC. I'm guessing as mentioned before that SOHC turbo parts would work (in that case, I would hunt down a set of SOHC Turbo pistons. Iirc, they're forged pistons vs the cast ones in the non-turbo engines). As you mentioned, increasing the displacement is possible. Obviously, you can get a shop to bend up a custom exhaust and intake. You could get some DIY parts and make an intake, too. I don't see any sensors plugging into any of the stock intake tubing, so it should be pretty straightforward.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, May 02, 2011 10:37 PM
DavefromEngland wrote:i wonder if the Sunbird Turbo set-up would fit on that motor, looks like that's the motor it is more or less

well thats what i am hoping, i've got the factory sunbird manifold already and a small T28 off of an SR20, with custom cooler piping etc...but once again, not allowed to play

USMCZ24 wrote:Can't drive a turbo'd car because of age??! Poop on that!

yeah....don't start with me on that, my weekend car is a 12 Skyline second drag car, the anus is clenched tight when driving that around...because our cops already don't like skylines (nothing like what has been happening to you guys though...)

Tony T Crams wrote:So Family II makes it the same engine in our Sunbirds? Iirc, someone of v6z24.com did a european 16 Valve DOHC head swap on a 2.0 SOHC. I'm guessing as mentioned before that SOHC turbo parts would work (in that case, I would hunt down a set of SOHC Turbo pistons. Iirc, they're forged pistons vs the cast ones in the non-turbo engines). As you mentioned, increasing the displacement is possible. Obviously, you can get a shop to bend up a custom exhaust and intake. You could get some DIY parts and make an intake, too. I don't see any sensors plugging into any of the stock intake tubing, so it should be pretty straightforward.

im pretty happy with the exhaust manifold, i'll grab some better pictures of it, it's a really nice piece, but i continuously hear the intake manifold is a pretty poor flowing unit, does anyone have pictures of some custom made ones?
Monday, May 02, 2011 10:43 PM
Pics of said skyline or not true.

And neet little car. Are loovers still cool in aus?

Monday, May 02, 2011 11:39 PM
don't know if the loovers are still cool, i like them though...

and this is my skyline, Nancee

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p186/Brinn_J/Nancee%20Photoshoot/nancee_bay.jpg

it's running a relatively standard turbo setup consisting of a highflowed T3 custom intake and cooler piping, factory nissan turbo manifold, it's got a completely rebuilt Jatco automatic transmission with kevlar bands and 3800rpm highstall, Kazz 2 way mechanical LSD and a linelocker for good burnouts...she's a little down on power these days, due to a stuff wastegate actuator and a leaking exhaust manifold (gasket is gone...) she still has 165rwkw with boost only holding at 6psi, but the torque is where she makes good, and from her 3ltr turbo i have 555nm of torque with all the issues.

Once they are fixed and her tune is redone i will be back up around 190-200 rwkw and a smidgen over 600nm of torque...

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:10 AM
quite happy...just scored off ebay, a 2003 Holden Astra 1.8 16v DOHC complete car, with 5 speed manual...for $134 soim going to start investigating how hard it is to do the engine transplant, and have alot more horses in a car that weighs about 980kg
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:09 AM
Nomnom Skyline.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:58 AM
I approve of this indeed.

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:11 AM
thanks man, it's good to see some people appreciate the car, they don't get much appreciation in aus, because of the motor, but i find it to be quite competent when you know how to drive them properly...
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:36 AM
Engine shots of the Skyline? Schmexy.

I have several friends from Aus btw, one of my closest residing in Tasmania. From my understanding people on the "Big Island" find people from Tasmania to be rednecks and insest. Lmfao. Just stating some fun facts.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:46 AM
yeh, thats about true
the engine pic is the link under the last pic, i forgot to add the image tags...

and further to that, i studied in tas, place is dead boring, but you guys would LOVE the roads down here....THEY ARE FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:49 PM
MMMMMMMMM Skyline MMMMMMMMMM i likie

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:04 PM
Awesome cars man!

If you get a chance post up some more pictures of both. I love seeing the old skool cars in such great shape.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:35 PM
Have to agree with you on that. Most of the roads I traveled on were amazing. Couple days in Brisbane one the remainder of my two weeks up near Darwin. Most of it was spent one one property, but we did have several days with a @!#$ load of traveling.

I also @!#$ hate crocs. Bastard tried stealing my fish, managed to soak me in the process...

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:57 AM
yeh, ok, well this is my daily N13 Pulsar, just a SSS so it didn't get recaro's etc...factory like the SVD cars, but....i had some spare parts

and some more of Nancee

Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:28 AM
More of Nancee you effing tease. lol

Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:24 PM
GTmatters wrote:More of Nancee you effing tease. lol

ok ok

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/SVD115/beach%20shoot/
There's a small 11 photo album you can look at...or...

Friday, May 06, 2011 7:58 AM
Jason! Love that skyline!

also refresh me on the Pulsar because we don't see any up here in Newfoundland Canada! that's the Front Wheel drive one correct? not the AWD one as the British call it the "Sunny?" the Pulsars are wonderful too something different. A young kid that went to the same High school I did has a Skyline R32 (model) unsure if it was the GTR but it was the same model as the 32 for body style
Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:27 AM
yes. the local N13's here in aus were all FWD, and actually....every Pulsar sold in aus, was FWD...the only AWD that most people know of is the N14 GTi-R The 'mini godzilla'
when funnily enough in Japan, there were AWD N13's that ran E15 turbo motors, and sometimes even CA18DE's as well....

oh...and i has more pictars of nancee...she has new wheels...again...this time 15's and im stocked with them so i'll be leaving these on for a long time....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search