Subaru BRZ - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subaru BRZ
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:50 AM

Subaru BRZ Concept - STI to Debut at Los Angeles International Auto Show

-- First look at Subaru BRZ styling
-- STI-tuned chassis and carbon-fiber roof deliver the ultimate in handling and CoG
-- First RWD Subaru sports car

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1, 2011 Subaru of America, Inc. announced today that it will show an all-new concept version of its upcoming BRZ sports car at the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show. Dubbed the Subaru BRZ Concept- STI, the concept car represents the next step in lightweight performance sports cars combined with the race-bred tuning of Subaru Technica International (STI).

The first BRZ concept car to be shown with bodywork, the Concept – STI strongly hints at the styling of the production BRZ and features unique STI performance features.

Styling

Sleek, low and tightly coiled bodywork blends with STI performance touches for a sporting profile. A hexagonal front grille, hawk eye headlights and fin-shaped fog lamps are instantly recognizable as Subaru. The exterior colour "WR Blue Pearl II" is a new generation of the iconic WR blue paint scheme that has adorned both racing production STI's.

The body is set-off with aero-tuned lower front spoiler and unique rear fascia, a rear wing for added down-force and a carbon-fiber roof to lower its already record setting center of gravity specification. The rear design features bold rear fender flares and large rear-diffuser giving way to polished stainless-steel quad-tailpipes. Vented rear bumper corners contribute to improved aerodynamics performance.

Engine

The concept car employs the totally new Subaru "FA" Boxer engine exclusively designed for the RWD BRZ sports car. In order to achieve properties best-suited for the BRZ sports car, the overall structure of this 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine has been designed with a square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm. The inherent qualities of the Subaru Boxer engine were mated to a direct injection fuel system, which further improves combustion efficiency, running smoothness up to high rpm and high environmental standards.

Chassis

The lightened Concept – STI features an STI-tuned suspension, Brembo brakes and unique 18-inch wheels and tires. The Subaru-engineered and built chassis boasts a rigid frame housing a two-plus-two interior and front engine/rear-wheel drive layout. With the engine mounted low and rearward in the engine compartment to allow for near-perfect balance and one of lowest CoG's of any car on the market.

The BRZ Concept – STI is designed to combine lightweight, a low polar moment and razor-sharp reflexes for the ultimate handling machine. The low engine placement also allows for a very low and blade-like hood design. Short front and rear overhangs reduce the yaw moment of inertia.

Compared with other Subaru models, which already feature a low centre of gravity and optimal weight distribution, the engine in the Subaru BRZ - STI - sits even lower, 4.7 inches lower in fact and is positioned 9.4 inches closer to the centre of the chassis.

The first RWD Subaru, the production Subaru BRZ will begin production in spring 2012 as the only mass-produced front-engine, Boxer engine rear-wheel drive sports car in the world.

SUBARU BRZ Concept – STI Specifications
Body size (Overall: Length x Width x Height): 166.7 X 70.9 X 50.4 inches
Wheelbase: 101.2 inch
Engine: Subaru Boxer "FA" engine - 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine
Tire size: 215/45R18 (Front), 225/45R18 (Rear)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Subaru BRZ
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:18 AM
I will own one on 2 conditions. It comes out under 2600 pounds or at least very close to, and gets supported my tacrix cable and open source tuning. If not they can suck a dick and GM will get my college graduation daily driver purchase in the forum of a CTSV wagon and I'll have it tuned in less that a mile away from the dealership.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:16 AM
I see Toyota & Subaru are stealing a play out of GM's playbook by barely changing the look between the two cars. They share the same headlights and nearly identical body panels except for front and rear bumper covers.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:23 AM
Did I read that right? The term "sports car" used like 20 times and then "2.0l NA"?? Yay its as much a sports car as my old NA mr2 without the mid engine, exotic looks, and low weight.... and I bet they throw a hefty price tag on em too.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:36 AM
would rather own a Camaro ZL1 or the copo camaro

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:00 PM
well the ZL1 is also 2x the price

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:16 PM
the fun part of this car comes with its engine. it is designed to accept ej engine components readily. You can read that to mean anything you could do on a WRX STI should be able to be done on this one. or just swap her out. I do not believe they used a different programming language from their other engines.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:35 PM
I'll rather take the Toyota, *cough... Scion FT-86

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:37 PM
Not really feeling the rear spoiler. I don't think it needs one that huge. The tails remind me of the ones from the Audi A5 for some reason
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:40 AM
Price tag?

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 7:21 AM
Travis wrote:I'll rather take the Toyota, *cough... Scion FT-86

I would prefer to have my car serviced by people who do not look at the boxer engine like some exotic unicorn.My thinking is the Subaru version should come in below the WRX so call it mid 20's. I hope for lower but it seems all cars cost that much today.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:15 AM
Not sure about what the price tag will be but this car needs to be pushing 350hp +.

Will buy a Nissan 370Z over this, any day.
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:32 AM
350 horse for just over 20 grand? No way. This is an entry level sports car, like the miata. Its the new Corrola AE86 not the new supra. Its supposed to be a fun, light weight, affordable rwd car. At long as it gets tuning support and handles well this thing will go off like wild fire.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:50 AM
Better be light and no more than 25K.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:03 AM
Well the ft86 is supposed to be just over 2600 pounds, this one is supposed to have a carbonfiber roof so it "should" be lighter.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:04 AM
As of today, there is no price, as it is not out yet nor not near. Weight is projected to be under 2800lbs. The length of the car is 14inches shorter than a 3rd Gen Cavalier... it is actually going to be a hair longer and as wide as the current VW Golf; granted, with a lower height. So you all get a perspective the size of this model.
If you look at my Scion FR-S thread, you'll see pretty much the stats on this thing.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:06 AM
So any thoughts on power output....similar to the S2000?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:59 AM
I'll have the Toyota. But with the Subaru wheels.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 1:33 PM
Will wait to see price/weight info before debating on it I guess.
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:26 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Did I read that right? The term "sports car" used like 20 times and then "2.0l NA"?? Yay its as much a sports car as my old NA mr2 without the mid engine, exotic looks, and low weight.... and I bet they throw a hefty price tag on em too.

uhhh... Your old NA MR2 IS a sports car. My 2011 MX5 has a measly 2.0L / 167 bhp, and it is undoubtedly a sports car. Horsepower isn't what makes a vehicle a sports car. A vehicle that is engineered for the sole purpose of being driven is a sports car.

So, in the case of your MR2: 2 seater, little cargo space, well engineered chassis....yeah, it's a sports car...and so is the FT86 / BRZ.

I have no signiture
Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:56 AM
I'm also curious to see what the production version looks like vs the concept version. The toyota pics in this thread look more "produciton-ish", much tamer styling. Hopefully it bases under 25k, i'd seriously give it a look.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:20 AM
Whalesac wrote:
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Did I read that right? The term "sports car" used like 20 times and then "2.0l NA"?? Yay its as much a sports car as my old NA mr2 without the mid engine, exotic looks, and low weight.... and I bet they throw a hefty price tag on em too.

uhhh... Your old NA MR2 IS a sports car. My 2011 MX5 has a measly 2.0L / 167 bhp, and it is undoubtedly a sports car. Horsepower isn't what makes a vehicle a sports car. A vehicle that is engineered for the sole purpose of being driven is a sports car.

So, in the case of your MR2: 2 seater, little cargo space, well engineered chassis....yeah, it's a sports car...and so is the FT86 / BRZ.

Oh I know all of this. But for the price new cars are going for these days, I see this thing dropping in at 25-30K and I just hope they aren't sub-200hp for that price. It will handle decent, hopefully be light, and I am just afraid it is going to be under-powered. I know power isn't ALL that makes a sports car, but I don't see anything sports car about it as it sits, and without any horsepower enticement, all the word is doing for the car is hiking insurance rates.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, November 06, 2011 1:57 PM
the subie looks alot better

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:14 AM

From Subaru...
Subaru BRZ Concept -STI - Debuts at Los Angeles International Auto Show
First hint at Subaru BRZ styling theme
STI-refinements and carbon-fiber roof deliver the ultimate in handling and CoG
First RWD Subaru sports car concept

Los Angeles. Subaru of America, Inc. reveals an all-new concept version of its upcoming BRZ sports car today at the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show. The Subaru BRZ Concept- STI - represents the next step in lightweight performance sports cars combined with the race-bred refinements of STI, a performance brand of Subaru.

The first BRZ concept car to be shown with bodywork, the BRZ Concept - STI -strongly hints at the styling of the production BRZ and features unique STI performance features.

Styling
Sleek, low and tightly-coiled bodywork blends with STI performance touches for a sporting profile. A hexagonal lower front grille, hawk eye headlights and fin-shaped fog lamps are instantly recognizable as Subaru. The exterior color “WR Blue Pearl II” is a new generation of the iconic WR blue paint scheme that has adorned both racing and production STI’s.

The body is set-off with aero-tuned lower front spoiler, unique rear fascia and a rear wing for added down-force. A carbon-fiber roof has been added to lower the center of gravity (CoG), which will be
one of the lowest of any car made. The rear design features bold rear fender flares and large rear-diffuser giving way to polished stainless-steel quad-tailpipes. Vented rear bumper corners contribute to improved aerodynamics performance.

Engine
The concept car employs the totally new Subaru “FA” BOXER™ engine exclusively designed for the RWD BRZ sports car. In order to achieve properties best-suited for the BRZ sports car, the overall structure of this 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine has been designed with a square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm. The inherent qualities of the Subaru BOXER engine were mated to a direct injection fuel system, which further improves combustion efficiency, running smoothness up to high rpm and high environmental standards.

Chassis
The lightened BRZ Concept – STI - features an STI-tuned suspension, Brembo™ brakes and unique 18-inch wheels and tires. The Subaru-engineered and built chassis boasts a rigid frame housing a two-plus-two interior and front engine/rear-wheel drive layout. With the engine mounted low and rearward in the engine compartment near-perfect balance is achieved.

The BRZ Concept – STI - is designed to combine lightweight, a low polar moment and razor-sharp reflexes for the ultimate handling machine. The low engine placement also allows for a very low and blade-like hood design. Short front and rear overhangs reduce the yaw moment of inertia.

Compared with other Subaru models, which already feature a low center of gravity and optimal weight distribution, the engine in the Subaru BRZ - STI - sits even lower. It is 4.7 inches lower and is positioned 9.4 inches closer to the center of the chassis compared to a Subaru Impreza.

The first RWD Subaru, the production Subaru BRZ will begin production in spring 2012 as the only mass-produced front-engine, BOXER engine rear-wheel drive sports car in the world.

SUBARU BRZ Concept – STI - Specifications
Body size (Overall: Length x Width x Height): 166.7 X 70.9 X 50.4 inches
Wheelbase: 101.2 inch
Engine: Subaru BOXER “FA” engine - 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine
Tire size: 215/45R18 (Front), 225/45R18 (Rear)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:30 AM
DO WANT!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search