2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata (pics) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata (pics)
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:04 PM
Sixteen years and 700,000 units ago, Mazda launched its back-to-basics Miata onto a roadster-hungry public. And while the aging two-seater, last redesigned in 1998, still finds favor among legions of driving purists the world over, Mazda felt that it was about time to give the fun little sports car a much-needed makeover.
This third-generation car, which debuts in early March at the Geneva motor show, will draw power from a new 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder, up from a 1.8-liter engine in the Miata today. The bigger engine will turn out about 20 more horses as well, reaching upward of 160 hp. The torque climbs to about 140 lb-ft.
Shifting duty will fall to one of two six-speed units, either a manual or automatic with a shift-it-yourself-via-paddles option.
Physically the Miata has grown in just about every measurable dimension, with a 2.6-inch longer wheelbase, as well as a 3.0-inch wider front track and 2.1-inch wider rear track. Overall length and height have increased nominally, each by just 0.8 inch, but the Miata is now measurably wider, by 1.6 inches.
That extra width comes courtesy of a departure in styling for the little roadster, which for the first time abandons its characteristic Coke-bottle shape for a more RX-8-like design, complete with flatter flanks and bulbous front fenders. The additional space afforded by this move not only benefits passengers with more hip and shoulder room, but also allows for the addition of side-impact airbags. Do you see some BMW Z3, Z4,Z8?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata (pics)
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:09 PM
clearly same market as the new pontiac solstice 2.4 eco 177hp and 168tq.

Visit High Rev Motorsports for all your High Performance needs.

Visit RSM Racing for j-body superchargers, throttle bodies, and much more.

Visit Cobalt SS.Net and sign up to get the latest info on the cobalt and all other delta platform cars
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:15 PM
I like it. Looks really good.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:19 PM
Yep^^^
Now we got to know is weight on the MX-5. So far Solstice is at around 2800lbs.

Question here is... . Which car of these two is going to be more fun?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:22 PM
Lastly looking at that tranny, it looks to be a Getrag looks similar to one found on the 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor.
If it is, it is one smooth, sweet tranny. As good in feel as the one found in BMWs and Honda S2000s

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:56 PM
That looks awesome. I don't care for the tail lights much, but other than that... Definatley better than the Solstice or Sky in my opinion.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:00 PM
solstice should be good competition for that

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:04 PM
a miata i wouldnt be embarrased to drive!

/:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::/:::J-BODY FEVER II VIDEO:::/
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:25 PM
wonder if it will retain its 50/50 weight distribution

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:53 PM
looks really sharp... kind of reminicent of jaguars or aston martins...

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:56 PM
i hate those cars, there so small. seeing them in person makes them look like go carts with shells.

-Borsty

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:38 AM
deff looks alot better

I've got a 3inch wiper blade that keeps my headlight clean during a rain storm
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:27 AM
When I first saw the picture it reminded me a lot of the S2000. The interior of this MX-5 is definitly nicer than its predicessor. It's a nice looking car I have to admit, but lets wait and see how much it weighs, unless it's significantly lighter than the solctice and sky, i don't see it being much faster.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:57 AM
WOW

that's all i got to say.....ok not all. i also want to add this looks 100x's better than the Sky or Sol....and better reliability and resale to boot. it's all about the Mk3 Miata.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:09 AM
i'm not gay and i think that it's a nice car...i mean the interior is beautiful
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:40 AM
doesn't look bad, not too far departed from the current styling. I'll reserve final judgement for the curb weight + see what happens when MAZDASPEED gets a hold of it. still not enought pwer for me, unless it weighs 2000lbs, but i'm thinking 2700lbs.

www.drluc.ca
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:01 AM
JAMMIT wrote:WOW

that's all i got to say.....ok not all. i also want to add this looks 100x's better than the Sky or Sol....and better reliability and resale to boot. it's all about the Mk3 Miata.

How the hell can you say it has better reliability or resale? The cars you are comparing it with aren't even out.
are you psychic

personally i like the sky's looks much better
solstice a little better

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:18 AM
sappyL61 wrote: How the hell can you say it has better reliability or resale? The cars you are comparing it with aren't even out.
are you psychic

solstice a little better

GM is known for reliability issues. If I had to put money on one I'd put it on the miata, but its really too early to tell. The interior of the miata looks exceptional though. BTW, is that Avenged Sevenfold's thing in your sig?

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:58 AM
Mazda's design philosophy - make a radical looking flagship car, then style every other model similarly, yet not as stupid looking.

The only Mazda I would buy is the 6...it looks sharp, especially in the front. The TT and AWD coming is a plus too.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:04 AM
Zach wrote:
sappyL61 wrote: How the hell can you say it has better reliability or resale? The cars you are comparing it with aren't even out.
are you psychic

solstice a little better

GM is known for reliability issues. If I had to put money on one I'd put it on the miata, but its really too early to tell. The interior of the miata looks exceptional though. BTW, is that Avenged Sevenfold's thing in your sig?

yes that is avenged sevenfold's logo

and ford isnt known for reliability issues?
i think the reliability thing get way blown out of porportion

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:32 AM
sappyL61 wrote:
Zach wrote:
are you psychic

solstice a little better

you are so brand loyal its sick
go check reliability ratings on the miata in the last 10 years. youll find very little to no problems.
Ford may not be as reliable as Honda or Toyota, but they definitely have better reliability than Chevy.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:43 AM
I am going to guesstimate a weight of 2500-2550 give or take. Since current MX-5s range from 2440lbs for the base model to like 2530lbs for the Turbo. I am judging on how Mazda did not increase much its weight from the Protege to the 3 sedan which was roughly I think it was like 75lbs or less, will have to look it up in files. Mazda did o.k. here.
Maybe Mazda did more of their homework and kept it close to the same. I will keep you guys updated on future info.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:15 PM
yes please do goodwrench, especially on the mazdaspeed segment of things

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 3:14 PM
every magazine, mechanic, N.A.D.A., Kelly Blue Book, Consumer Reports, and much much more list the Miata as ultra reliable. and from that it holds it's resale.

i don't need to be psychic to tell you compare GM's 30 year history of lousy, spotty bulid quality, cheap materials, and reliability and resale issues to that of the mere flawless 15 year run of the Miata and the proof is in the pudding.

find how many recalls were on the miata Vs. ANY GM vehicle. the Miata is rated the MOST reliable used car on the planet. what GM car can make that claim?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:55 PM
themarin8r wrote:
sappyL61 wrote:
Zach wrote:
are you psychic

solstice a little better

you are so brand loyal its sick
go check reliability ratings on the miata in the last 10 years. youll find very little to no problems.
Ford may not be as reliable as Honda or Toyota, but they definitely have better reliability than Chevy.

uhm neither of those cars i mentioned were chevies

ane well since this is a new platform you will have to wait and see wont you mr psychic man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search