No More Hot Air - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No More Hot Air
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:20 AM
The last air cooled Volkswagon rolled off the assembly line in San Paulo, Brazil, in a VW Microbus. Tightening emissions regulations forced the end of the engine whose roots can be traced to the 1930's. A water cooled version of the engine will replace the long standing four banger in 2006.

Please no crying.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: No More Hot Air
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:15 PM

Aircooled is where it's at. Due to the heat ranges they go thru it is hard for them to pass emissions. Mainly at cold startup I think?

^air cooled engine I've been turning wrenchs on lately^

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:46 AM
WOW that's a crazy header.

...at least, i THINK that's the header...am i right?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:55 PM
awwwwwwwww

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:12 PM
lilbit01 wrote:WOW that's a crazy header.

if you are looking at the tubes on top of the motor.....no

that is the intake manifold

and why the hell does anybody get so god-damn sappy ove these motors. the were one of the least powerful motors ever made. I mean you can make them a little quick, but still not impressive
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:57 PM
no, he's looking at the spider web of pipes underneath that seem to snake around into a collector, and then bolt to a polished tailpipe.... i think. at least that's what i was lookin at.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:33 AM
Yah the thing at the bottom is the header (with the polished tip). The intake is right under the carb which splits into the 2 grey tubes, the black tube is a "heat riser".

While I can agree stock these motors aren't all that they have alot of potential, and are THE easiest motors to work on of all time, ever without a doubt. (atleast of anything I've seen)

BTW Nutcase I guess it depends on what you consider impressive. That lil motor pictured above in our Bug will take a 2.2 Cavaliers lunch money any day of the week. Which ain't bad for a car from 1962.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:40 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:
lilbit01 wrote:WOW that's a crazy header.

if you are looking at the tubes on top of the motor.....no

that is the intake manifold

no, i was looking at the bottom, where the mess of funky looking tubes are.

WORK wrote:no, he's looking at the spider web of pipes underneath that seem to snake around into a collector, and then bolt to a polished tailpipe.... i think. at least that's what i was lookin at.

i'm a chick, thanks.

Labora wrote:Yah the thing at the bottom is the header (with the polished tip). The intake is right under the carb which splits into the 2 grey tubes, the black tube is a "heat riser".

thought so.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:20 PM
we just aquired a 65 volkswagen beetle

baja, bitches.

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:29 PM
Early models are where it's at. Check out my site for some pics of ours.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:41 PM
Labora wrote:Early models are where it's at. Check out my site for some pics of ours.

i agree to a point, but ive always had a weakness for those turbo beetles lol

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:56 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Herbie. I like the old bugs.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:18 PM
It Burns When I Pee Pee wrote:
Labora wrote:Early models are where it's at. Check out my site for some pics of ours.

i agree to a point, but ive always had a weakness for those turbo beetles lol

There is a guy around here witha 74 with a 1722 (I think) with a cool turbo kit on it. I'd like to turbo ours one day I have all the stuff I need already but a carb, and pipes more or less.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:22 PM
lilbit01 wrote:
i'm a chick, thanks.

sorry. honestly, i didn't even look at your name, nor do i make it a point to check peoples profiles every time i talk to them. most of the people on here are guys, so unless it's obviously otherwise, i just refer to them as such. no need to be offended.

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:41 PM
I have a 57 oval window with a slider sunroof and I can vouch that they indeed are the easiest cars to work on that I have ever touched. BTW I wouldn't underestimate those motors I've seen'em make over 500 horse on alky with a turbo the size of a Jack-O-Lantern

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:24 PM
I would love to have an old bug. A convertable would be awsome but they go for more than what I would pay if in decent condition.

I am all that is man

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:59 PM
I spotted this at the Texas Heat Wave last year.
Great looking car. I would love to have a bug like this.

I am all that is man

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:41 PM
WORK wrote:
lilbit01 wrote:
i'm a chick, thanks.

sorry. honestly, i didn't even look at your name, nor do i make it a point to check peoples profiles every time i talk to them. most of the people on here are guys, so unless it's obviously otherwise, i just refer to them as such. no need to be offended.

there's a picture of a lizard under my boob in my sig. i don't think i could be any more obvious.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:45 PM
ESB, Damn thats HOTT !! Old bugs are deff cool ! I can't aford another old car they suck money from wallets faster then an ex-wife!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:53 PM
wow... so you really are mad about that... i dont like to speculate as to what is a boob and who's boob it is

Andy

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:33 PM
no, nowhere near mad. if you think that's mad...well...you've never seen my emofits, then.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:38 PM
damn internet. so friggin hard to determine emotions on here. oh well. as long as you dont hold it against me, then im sorry i called you a guy. i shall now, and forever forth, know you're a girl, because your boob is in your sig.

so anyway... about that VW engine...

Andy

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:52 PM
There was a guy out here when I was younger that had a chop-top Bug and it was FAST!

Wish I had a pic.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:15 PM
WORK wrote:damn internet. so friggin hard to determine emotions on here. oh well. as long as you dont hold it against me, then im sorry i called you a guy. i shall now, and forever forth, know you're a girl, because your boob is in your sig.

so anyway... about that VW engine...

werd...about the engine with the header that looks like someone threw a couple of slinkies together and modeled the header after the end result of the slinkiefest...

Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:47 PM
a header like that goes for $50. new

and if you think those headers are crazy, you should look at the stock setup.
Heat exchangers, aluminum hose, and a muffler that ranges across the engine, exhausting through 2 "pea shooters" both the diameter of my finger.

I know more than I want to about air cooled vw's. As I've never owned one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search