3800 hot manifold help 04 GTP - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800 hot manifold help 04 GTP
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:55 AM
I posted in the SE Region a little while back about my GTP catching fire by the exhaust manifold....spark plugs wires started melting causing a small fire. Turned out my cat was clogged up backing up the exhaust. Well, a new downpipe and hi-flow cat later, thinking the problem would be fixed, but they call back and say that the manifold is still getting super hot......even with the cat-back dropped....it was super hot too and thought it was blocked. Original cat was indeed toast, but does anyone have any info on what could cause this?

Original thread
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=23&i=81423&t=81423

Convert 00+ headlights to 95-99

Re: 3800 hot manifold help 04 GTP
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:27 AM
As stated in the other thread, there was a recall for a faulty gasket that leaked oil onto the manifold, which led to the fires. Your generation, however, doesn't have this issue as far as I know. One thing that might help is getting an infrared heat gun and taking the temperature of the exhaust at different points to see where it's at. If it is indeed too hot, even with the good exhaust, you might have to look in to different issues.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:43 AM
ceramic coat it? Do you have heat shield on your plug wires, if you dont get some on there

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:13 AM
way off the boat here, if its running that hot is the car maybe running to lean or rich?

possible clogged injector on that side or bad rail?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:42 AM
my dad has an 04 GTP as well, and one time he spilled a little oil on the plug wires, and it melted the @!#$ outta them. similar problem maybe?

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:34 PM
i'd bet on lean or detonation...

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:44 PM
I've seen manifolds plugged before and crossover pipes clogged as well. If you've replaced the cat and down pipe problem has to be precat. I'd remove the crosover pipe inspect and run it like that see if the manifold gets hot like that. It'll be louder than hell so heads up on that one.
Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:46 AM
Haven't been able to get on in a while, but i got my dad's buick for now. It's no doubt it was like the recall, but it glows red after even a quick spin, or sitting a few on idle. The guys at the shops aren't really techs...just local mechanics everybody knows. His temp gauge reads to 550, and it excceeds that, so don't know really how hot it's running. Not sure what the normal temp should be, but the cat was burned up. Just if there is a problem then, I need to get it over to the dealership so they can diagnose it.

So far, it deosn't throw a code, checked vacuum, egr, fuel pressure, changed plugs and wires. Maybe to lean or rich, but it runs great and haven't found any evidence. I'm gonna see about the cossover pipe, lol yeah, theres a sunfire around here without a muffler that's pretty nasty.

i don't know many variables like fuel pressure and what not so i got vague details. Just got it sittin over there and they've been looking at here in there hoping to stumble on something or until i do something else with it. Like i said, might have to just bring it to the dealership.

Convert 00+ headlights to 95-99
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search