THE TRUTH ABOUT BMW FROM A 3 YEAR OWNER - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
THE TRUTH ABOUT BMW FROM A 3 YEAR OWNER
Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:33 PM
I purchased a 2008 3 series back in late 2007. Only mod I did was a set of 19 inch wheels. Since owning my 3 series I can say that there were 3 things I did love about the car. The smooth tranny, The quiet cab and the way it handled curves when getting in the pedal. While these are great things to have in a car this is where the positive talk ends. My car has been in and out of the dealers shop 7 times. I want to remind you I bought the car with just 107 miles on it brand new! The interior is cheap. The "paint" on the console started to rub off after the first 8 months. The trunk would get stuck and not open from the inside or fab. The drivers side door wouldn't open with fab. Sun roof opened on 2 occasions on its own!! Once while raining!!! Had random check engine lights turn on and off. Car had computer issues 3 times that left me stranded. I would turn key and nothing!!! Now I know you guys are thinking I got a lemon...................NO while visiting the bimmer forums I learned that all the issues I had others had aswell! Some of the issues the bmw dealership said happend on "almost all" the 3 series!! Well even though the 3 series is on the lower end of the bmw line up it has tanted my views for any future BMW's. I have owned a corolla, cavalier, maxima, probe, altima, and element among other cars and this was by far the worst and the most expensive. Seems Im not the only one. I went car shopping and every lot I went to had at least 2 of the newer 3 series that were traded in. One place called automax had a full row of newer 3 series, I would say at least 15 of them!! I just want to let any potential buyers to take this into consideration before buying a "name" like I did. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Now I am looking for a mid sized luxury sedan. I have narrowed it down to a Lexus GS 350 or a Mercedes E class. I love the new benz look but I really want to know If anyone or the org can give me advice or either one. I want RELIABILITY!! I know lexus is great but how are these new benz? Before spending 50,000 on a car I want some insite. Thanks

Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT BMW FROM A 3 YEAR OWNER
Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:51 PM
That really sucks, I will keep that in mind.

Also, when reading this.. I found the ad to be pretty ironic. thought id share !

Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:58 PM
my insight is dont spend $50k on a vehicle lol.. if you want something nice i have driven a few Audi's and they were nothing to shake a stick at.

and jeff... AD fail.. go premium and you wont see them lol

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:10 AM
Audi is def. the way to go, I want a TTS ( real life possibility in a couple years ) or an R8 ( dream car )

And I was premium till this site died, so I let it expire

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:49 AM
just get a new CTS.
you will be happier than in any if the cars you mentioned.
at least that's how i feel.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Monday, August 30, 2010 12:57 AM
Flaked Z-Fire wrote:just get a new CTS.
you will be happier than in any if the cars you mentioned.
at least that's how i feel.

CTS-V mmm sexy

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:58 AM
Audi's aren't cheap either. The CTS..........eh........I test drove one a few years back, wasn't impressed. Not to mention they lose their value VERY fast. put 50,00 miles on one and you can find them for around 16,000 used.
Monday, August 30, 2010 2:24 AM
While the CTS is nice, ask MB owners who went from an E to a CTS and were disappointed in the cheapness and the usual GM crap that they went back to an E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, August 30, 2010 3:25 AM
My buddies 3 series has been at the dealers more than he has had it at home. He will never buy one again.

His latest fun is his rear interior lights are flashing when his turn signals are on.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 30, 2010 4:45 AM
Stay away from lexux/toyota - they now have a valvespring recall on their v-6 models. I vote cts-v as well if you need a luxury sedan in RWD. I would consider the new buick regal, or the newest iteration of the lacrosse.

If you can stand going a bit more "basic". The new malibu is a great vehicle, especially decked out with the 3.6 high feature engine. Probably half the cost of the BMW too...

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:25 AM
A friend just picked up a new Infiniti M37S, very nice. Funny story, another friend went to buy a BMW because she's always wanted one, ended up buying a new G37S because she liked it better.

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:36 AM
Wiezer Walley wrote:I purchased a 2008 3 series back in late 2007. Only mod I did was a set of 19 inch wheels. Since owning my 3 series I can say that there were 3 things I did love about the car. The smooth tranny, The quiet cab and the way it handled curves when getting in the pedal. While these are great things to have in a car this is where the positive talk ends. My car has been in and out of the dealers shop 7 times. I want to remind you I bought the car with just 107 miles on it brand new! The interior is cheap. The "paint" on the console started to rub off after the first 8 months. The trunk would get stuck and not open from the inside or fab. The drivers side door wouldn't open with fab. Sun roof opened on 2 occasions on its own!! Once while raining!!! Had random check engine lights turn on and off. Car had computer issues 3 times that left me stranded. I would turn key and nothing!!! Now I know you guys are thinking I got a lemon...................NO while visiting the bimmer forums I learned that all the issues I had others had aswell! Some of the issues the bmw dealership said happend on "almost all" the 3 series!! Well even though the 3 series is on the lower end of the bmw line up it has tanted my views for any future BMW's. I have owned a corolla, cavalier, maxima, probe, altima, and element among other cars and this was by far the worst and the most expensive. Seems Im not the only one. I went car shopping and every lot I went to had at least 2 of the newer 3 series that were traded in. One place called automax had a full row of newer 3 series, I would say at least 15 of them!! I just want to let any potential buyers to take this into consideration before buying a "name" like I did. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Now I am looking for a mid sized luxury sedan. I have narrowed it down to a Lexus GS 350 or a Mercedes E class. I love the new benz look but I really want to know If anyone or the org can give me advice or either one. I want RELIABILITY!! I know lexus is great but how are these new benz? Before spending 50,000 on a car I want some insite. Thanks

Wow, such a huge rant.

These things may be common in the 3 series. I have checked out all the forums I could about my 5 and the owners haven't experienced anything you mentioned. The worse I could find on e60 5 series issues is the water pump possibly going out at 100k. Pretty much nothing else.

Maybe the 3 series is just a POS? I honestly don't know since I didn't even want to step foot in a 3 when I was at my local BMW lot.

Good luck with your future purchase.

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:05 AM
Wiezer Walley wrote:I purchased a 2008 3 series back in late 2007. Only mod I did was a set of 19 inch wheels. Since owning my 3 series I can say that there were 3 things I did love about the car. The smooth tranny, The quiet cab and the way it handled curves when getting in the pedal. While these are great things to have in a car this is where the positive talk ends. My car has been in and out of the dealers shop 7 times. I want to remind you I bought the car with just 107 miles on it brand new! The interior is cheap. The "paint" on the console started to rub off after the first 8 months. The trunk would get stuck and not open from the inside or fab. The drivers side door wouldn't open with fab. Sun roof opened on 2 occasions on its own!! Once while raining!!! Had random check engine lights turn on and off. Car had computer issues 3 times that left me stranded. I would turn key and nothing!!! Now I know you guys are thinking I got a lemon...................NO while visiting the bimmer forums I learned that all the issues I had others had aswell! Some of the issues the bmw dealership said happend on "almost all" the 3 series!! Well even though the 3 series is on the lower end of the bmw line up it has tanted my views for any future BMW's. I have owned a corolla, cavalier, maxima, probe, altima, and element among other cars and this was by far the worst and the most expensive. Seems Im not the only one. I went car shopping and every lot I went to had at least 2 of the newer 3 series that were traded in. One place called automax had a full row of newer 3 series, I would say at least 15 of them!! I just want to let any potential buyers to take this into consideration before buying a "name" like I did. BUYER BEWARE!!!

This does not surprise me one bit. This is typical of German cars. All "nice cars," until they stop working.
When I was with Mercedes, I had a co worker that worked with BMW for nearly 25+ years. The man had more horror stories than Steven King. And I thought Mercedes were already bad, this guy was comparing the two and deemed BMW was three times as bad. Mind you we were in parts department at the time, so we would see all of the shop's and "street customer's" problems.
My advice... avoid German. If you're dead set on German, like the Mercedes, go for a diesel. If one thing German cars know what do to do, is their diesels... not as good as the French, but still a strong second. Remember, the E-class you're paying $50+K and you still paying for vinyl or "MB-Tex." Leather will be optional. Don't look at the wood trim, and you'll start to notice on the low rent plastics. And now personally, I could not throw out $50K knowing the same car around world are being used as as taxi cabs. Something about spending that kind of money on a vehicle and world uses it like a Ford Crown Victoria.
If you want reliability... seek Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus, Volvo, Buick, Lincoln, Hyundai and Jaguar. Yes, Jaguar... ever since Ford bought them... their reliability record has improved two-folds. Granted, they are no longer together, but they still have some shared technology.
We used to say at my old job... "at least you will look 'cool' stranded on the side of the road with your (BMW or Mercedes) as you wait for the tow truck."

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:21 AM
I hate to agree but yes stay away from the new lexus. I love my lexus so much and have had nothing but good luck it makes me sad to say that. My fiance's had even better luck with her Lexus IS300. She has 208,XXX miles on it now. The only thing she has done is a new clutch and battery. The battery was because of her system it couldn't keep up. Thats right...she's still on original starter and alternator even. Of course she's done her wear items, plugs, plug wires, brakes, tires. Show me a car that doesn't need new brakes though lol.

The new Acura's are really nice. I'm a big fan of those and they are well built and reliable. If you find yourself in an Audi I think you're going to have a re-run of the BMW. Like stated above infiniti is nice as well and will give you good reliability.

Monday, August 30, 2010 10:45 AM
I had an Audi, what a mess. The factory wiring wasn't even wrapped in some places and it ended up catching fire (after blowing an engine).
A friend's dad was a BMW mechanic and basically said to buy a BMW for performance, not reliability or build quality.
Everyone I've known who bought a Mercedes loved the vehicles and bought more than one. However, they bought more than one because the drivetrains kept failing and the repairs were $$$$$. So, once again, not what most would consider reliable.

So many horror stories and so few success stories, I know I'll never buy German again...

Maybe try out a new Ford SHO? Yeah, it's a Taurus, but in appearance only.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, August 30, 2010 10:51 AM
its not 50k nor the quality of some of those other high end models but i think the new buick la crosse is a very nice car. my recommendation is that.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Monday, August 30, 2010 10:55 AM
VW CC with the VR6. Stay away from the 2.0T, just as troublesome as the old 1.8T.
Monday, August 30, 2010 12:28 PM
Eternal wrote:
Wow, such a huge rant.

These things may be common in the 3 series. I have checked out all the forums I could about my 5 and the owners haven't experienced anything you mentioned. The worse I could find on e60 5 series issues is the water pump possibly going out at 100k. Pretty much nothing else.

Maybe the 3 series is just a POS? I honestly don't know since I didn't even want to step foot in a 3 when I was at my local BMW lot.

Wow, you completely missed the point AND insulted the O.P. Classy.

So he's just ranting, not stating his personal experience, yet your experience with a completely different car was in fact better? you don't say? I guess he's just a chump because he could afford just a lowly 3 series. Unlike yourself who didn't even want to be NEAR a 3 series.....What was the point of your post again? to brag about your unrelated car, state that THAT car was fine and his car sucks? Thanks for coming out.

Monday, August 30, 2010 3:25 PM
Who is Steven King? lol

My dad's 3 series too was kinda of a pain. He experienced multiple electric problems (as in all german cars). He owned 2 other BMW's, older ones, and did not have any problem. Maybe the newer ones are just cheaply made? He traded-in his BMW for a brand new Hyundai Sonata a few weeks ago and he seems happy for now. Great car.
Monday, August 30, 2010 3:56 PM
Nick wrote:VW CC with the VR6. Stay away from the 2.0T, just as troublesome as the old 1.8T.

The 2.0t is not troublesome, but then again you didn't specify which, the new TSI is great, the FSI not so much... Buy 09 or newer with the oil filter on top.

Monday, August 30, 2010 4:14 PM
Eternal wrote:

Wow, such a huge rant.

Wow man, his point was that a company like bmw shouldnt short change someone who pays for a lower end bmw. If its a bmw, it should be a bmw through and through, ya a 3 series should be a little less flashy or feature rich as a 5, but they shouldnt be out done by a cheaper car, or be just plain trash altogether.

Really hurts my view of bmws, even though i would never own one myself

Monday, August 30, 2010 4:27 PM
The customer isn't short changing anyone. The customer was very dissatisfied by his ownership experience, and BMW has failed to a point on providing their customer with a quality product and satisfaction.

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:22 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:My buddies 3 series has been at the dealers more than he has had it at home. He will never buy one again.

His latest fun is his rear interior lights are flashing when his turn signals are on.

LOL.. silly german cars and their electrical problems..

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:31 PM
My german car is still rockin.... and looking to pick up another different german car as well.....

Monday, August 30, 2010 10:01 PM
German cars I would buy:

I would also consider a Tiguan, since I've been told it's essentially a Golf GTi, but I'd rather the GTi.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search