Since the bash..updates on the cobalt - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Since the bash..updates on the cobalt
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:45 PM
Haven't said much since the bash on here really about any of my projects. At the bash I was on 80lb injectors and a whole slew of new parts I didn't have a chance to correct and get running properly. Since then I got rid of the OEM phenolic spacer since it was junk and wouldn't fit or seal properly causing vac leak, I actually ditched that at the bash as soon as I arrived in the parking lot. I also got rid of the 80lb injectors because I couldn't get them to idle properly initially, I didn't allow myself enough time to get them right. I sold those off at the bash and put the 60s back in. Knowing that the 60s would be well overloaded for the fuel I needed I attempted to run more methanol via a 220psi pump, great idea except my lines blew out on the dyno. Me and Josh pulled a nascar speed line swap in the parking lot and fixed it for race day. Even before arriving at the bash I knew I was screwed with my choice in pulley which was a 2.7in on the TVS. I had a 2.8 on order it was waiting for me back home the day after the bash...figures.

After the bash I put the 2.8 pulley in and attempted to get everything running good with the 60s and new methanol setup but several things were off, idle wasn't as good as it was before, just wasn't seeing the Maf/map values I was before. I initially thought some sort of vac leak issue so I redid everything and it made no difference, eventually I discovered it was actually the bypass valve had been bad for a long time, I suspect even prior to the bash. That fixed all the laggyness and got the power back for the most part. Still couldn't nail down the idle issue. I pretty much ignored the car for about the past 6 months.

I started a week or two ago in redoing a number of things. New bypass valve installed, LS4 Throttle body is back on, meth is off for right now, and Ive nailed down the idle issue. Turns out that my injector scaling was slightly off, but it was also off before as well when I was on the 60lb injectors, theres a number of ways that people scale them, I seem to have found a combo that works pretty good for me, much better than anything I've used in the past. I also had a pinched intake issue where it was hitting the brake lines and was smashing down my intake tube well below the 3inches the intake is supposed to be. To fix this I got an old Rebel Auto Worx stainless steel 3inch intake.

I've also been quite busy on the suspension, initially for the bash I was going to go Koni yellow/eibachs but ended up only putting the konis in the rear and turning them up to full stiff to prevent rear end squatting at the track. Looked over a number of options and originally was going to go Pedders Coilovers but was talked into the 08 TC OEM shocks and struts along with the pedders springs. I regret that decision. Yes the ride was a bit better but the wheel gap made me want to throw up in my mouth everytime I walked out to the car. So I kept the TC shocks struts switched back to the eibachs and upgraded to moog front swaybar endlinks, also installed a zzp front strut tower brace. Future plans are coilovers either Pedders, Stance, or BC Rm type.

Now onto peektures
The new LS4 TB pulled from a junkyard and cleaned up alot

New Rebel intake

Not looking bad for something out of a junkyard

Awaiting the new intake

New Shocks and endlinks

Intake on

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: Since the bash..updates on the cobalt
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:48 PM
did you break 300 in that piece of crap yet?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:01 PM
Really you want to go there?, maybe we could have a drag race if I bought an Aveo of who gets to be pitcher and who gets to be the catcher

But to answer your question I have no idea I havent had a clean dyno run in almost two years, meth lines blew off at the bash last year so never really got any numbers. Once I have the Griffen HE in then I might dyno, but not until then

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:03 PM
LOL
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:12 PM
Nice to see some updates on your balt, I'm interested in you getting some dyno numbers with it.

Ryan- being that was the first comment you had me rolling man .

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:08 PM
Unless your car is some sort of resistive bastard Cobalt-child to modification, I don't get it.

I don't dislike you at all, damn sure don't think my car is great......but the reality is I've ran better times with less than $500 into it, meanwhile you have 6x that invested.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:11 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Unless your car is some sort of resistive bastard Cobalt-child to modification, I don't get it.

I don't dislike you at all, damn sure don't think my car is great......but the reality is I've ran better times with less than $500 into it, meanwhile you have 6x that invested.

All the money into this part and that part but he still hasn't bought a driver-mod I guess.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:28 PM
Even the traps don't reflect the power that car "should" be putting down.

Not trying to talk @!#$.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:44 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Really you want to go there?, maybe we could have a drag race if I bought an Aveo of who gets to be pitcher and who gets to be the catcher
But to answer your question I have no idea I havent had a clean dyno run in almost two years, meth lines blew off at the bash last year so never really got any numbers. Once I have the Griffen HE in then I might dyno, but not until then
LOL

Glad to see it's getting ironed out! I want your vented oil cap, but i don't think my hood would close.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:57 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Really you want to go there?, maybe we could have a drag race if I bought an Aveo of who gets to be pitcher and who gets to be the catcher

Yes I wanted to go there, hence the reason I did.... but your offering to go buy an Aveo so we can drag race to see which of us does the other in the ass? Damn you totally burned me on that one LOL

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:03 PM
sounds like you need to go get some lecetes from top gear and have at it. big star in a lame car...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:04 PM
I vote that he sells his 3k+ in "power adders" to do such, spends $500 on a stage 2 setup, and the remaining $2500 on a used Aveo only to get fucked in the ass by you.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:15 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:I vote that he sells his 3k+ in "power adders" to do such, spends $500 on a stage 2 setup, and the remaining $2500 on a used Aveo only to get fucked in the ass by you.

I still stand by my statement that he needs to invest in a driver-mod. It's the only mod his car actually NEEDS to go faster. Without it, he has proven, all the parts simply do is add expense to excuses.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:39 PM
Love it. I cant wait to order my stage 3 kit here in a few days. Makes me itchy to mod more!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:59 PM
I'm not sure where this turned into a track discussion? I dont race other than once a year, I think I might have made 10 passes in the past 4-5 years...? Of course I'm not good at it, I never do it. And since I don't go to the track every week, I could care less. I do these things for my own personal enjoyment I don't need a slip of paper to try to justify it to myself or anyone else here.

And as for "driver mod" which is the stupidest @!#$ term on the face of the planet there may have been some issue with the driver being almost 300lbs. Thats been addressed I'm at 218lb now and around 200 likely by the CED meet in June. So theres been alot of work done on me as well.

Anyways back on topic more work is getting done to the suspension, getting rid of the @!#$ eibach springs and getting Stance GR+ Coilovers just trying to decide which config to go with, and a Powell Raceshop 1.25in Rear sway bar and a good alignment. 08-10 Brembo swap coming also.

As far as engine stuff its going to make whatever its going to make, theres not much more I can do without tearing the engine apart and building it which is pointless since theres only about 55k on it. I have a new Powell Raceshop Griffen heat exchanger waiting to go on it and my meth kit needs re hooked up again. Tune it all up and then I'll be ready for track and dyno.

On the exterior I have the look I want I'm getting some black headlights and my front lip redone in carbon wrap since it got beat to hell over winter. I decided I'm not going for the RK wing, I'm just going to keep it wingless, I have a dent in my front fender thats prob going to cost a fortune to get fixed.

Thats about all thats going to happen with it between now and summer.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:03 PM
Mike Demo wrote:sounds like you need to go get some lecetes from top gear and have at it. big star in a lame car...
More like fat ass in a lame car.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:48 PM
I know you lost a lot of weight. Driver-mod was a joke about driving ability, not driver weight

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:30 AM
Just so you know, theres very little fat on me right now. I'm sure your 40 year old decrepit ass couldn't do half of my workout. Go get some dog food for your only passenger you sad old man on a car forum. Your sig has more done to it than your car ever will.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:49 AM
Pics of skinny Rodimus!!!

Back on topic, I don't mean to be an ass, but give in and find a GOOD tuner man.... You're always pissing with it, almost non-stop. I will admit that you're better than alot of ppl on here with HPT (Including me, hell, I don't even own it) but there are professionals that could do wonders with your car if you let them. The guy who did the tune on mine did an excellent job. I'm over 300 WHP and on 80lb/hr injectors and it idles perfect. And around town when not in boost you'd never know it has injectors 4X the stock size, and all on a fake 2.5 bar tune.

Take it to a pro tuner and I guarantee you will be more than happy with the outcome.

As a side note, +1 on the Brembo setup!!!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:07 AM
It seems everyone has been drinking that Haterade, lol.

Anyways, I am going to agree with Roofy's comment. Get it tuned by a professional. You will not regret it. You have done a nice job so far and it is very clean.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:27 AM
Rodimus-I'm not to big no Delta's but whats the major differance from going from your ss brake setup to the brembo's.....dual piston calipers and slightly bigger rotor?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:22 AM
The brembo setup off the Turbo cobalts is a much bigger rotor 12.4 I think over the stock 11in, and also 4 piston calipers

As far as tuning the reason I'm constantly tuning it is because I'm constantly changing things. For me to take it someplace and pay hundreds and then have it not work properly a short time later just isn't a good idea. I've been to several shops on things like dyno days and such and locally within like 100-150 miles theres nobody that uses HPT on anything but LSx stuff, which is not the same. I've also looked over tunes from "professional shops" that specialize in Deltas (ZZP, Tunetime, OTTP, Intense-worst of them all) and I always find a number of critical areas untouched or simply done wrong. The only difference in a "pro" tuning is that they aim for max power, which is all fine and good and I have never once claimed my tune will make more than others.

Its a well known fact on the LSJ that cylinder #4 is starved for fuel and there's been several hundred cases of people having a "pro" or even someone great with HPT tune their car, they make great power no knock and a time later BOOM, #4 is melted and they can't accept why. There's not a single relevant parameter that I haven't detailed in my changes over the past 4 years in HPT, the difference is that I will sacrifice 15hp for longevity's sake. It's not hard its simple changes like running the AFR at 11.6 rather than 11.9, using safeguards that are already in the PCM such as a percentage boost cut at a specific IAT threshold, and not running more timing than what can be handled. These are areas I see constantly ignored by so called professionals. The one area in which I could gain is spark advance, using a loading dyno I could properly fill the chart and make precise adjustments on many more areas of the table than what I would hit on the street. When I reach a point in which I'm going to keep the engine and related parts in the same combination I'll do so.

Also I will be furthering my education very soon through 2 separate programs one is thetuningschool.com, and another regional seminar. Also I'm considering learning Accel DFI to start work on my trans am and perhaps do some freelance work with Turbo Buick applications.

When it comes to a J-body PCM I prob would take it someplace, I can't stand working with non MAF based cars and I'm never touching a single one again.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:38 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Just so you know, theres very little fat on me right now. I'm sure your 40 year old decrepit ass couldn't do half of my workout. Go get some dog food for your only passenger you sad old man on a car forum. Your sig has more done to it than your car ever will.

Really?
pics or GTFO.

This isn't about me or what I have done to my car, so please stop crying fat man. You love to "claim" you're skinny, buff, huge, can work out better than anyone and you have people back you up but you never post pictures. Prove it or stop with you empty little words, sad little man....or sad fat man. For someone who is supposedly so muscular and in shape you sure don't seem to be very proud of your accomplishments. Probably because the only thing you are really strong in is B.S. and talking sh*t.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:50 PM
-My example is of the track is properly used. The track is a benchmark of your car's performance, is it not? You ran it. You're going straight in a line and shifting 3 times, If you can't do that somewhat consistently you have an issue. My times are my first & only time on the track with my car /myboohoo.

-I paid to have my tuning done, never will regret that, why? Frankly I don't have the time to invest that my tuner had, nor the knowledge he also has behind this platform specifically. There was no better man for the job, and I'm confident in my choice there. It was hilarious outperform two poorly tuned locals with 2.7's & 60's+supporting mods with my 3.06" setup at the time, these are forum members too whom will admit such. Not to mention the damage their poor tune could potentially be doing to their engine, that would weigh on my mind horribly. Doesn't it yours? Mind you my car is tuned conservatively, meaning not balls-out and having safe guards.

-I'm curious to see IAT2 log with the Griffin vs. your current and no other changed variables. If there's a gain, or even a larger dent in your wallet and a smile on John's face. Ah, GMSC the local Powell sheep farm.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:54 PM
I just now read your tuning summary, didn't prior as I had minimized the screen while on work-related things.

I'm glad you're educating yourself further, but to point out not everyone whom tunes, will tune for "max power".

ZZP is local, I love them, would I have them tune my car? Well I haven't felt a need so there's my answer.

Intense was one of the tuner's on above mentioned 2.7/60 car and holy hell if you're not on the money there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search