Custom 4T40E Trans Controller - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Custom 4T40E Trans Controller
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:56 PM
This is an idea i have been wanting to do for the past few years, and I've finally started to write the code for the PIC. If this turns out to be a bust, then I will probably just alter the 4L60E code for megashift to work with the 4T40E.

Anyways, I have a request for anyone with HPT and the 4T40E, if you can either post or email me screen shots of all the editable tables in HPT, I would greatly appreciate it. If there are too many, then the big ones I'm concerned with are...
- Line Pressure (RPM vs TPS)
- TCC PWM (RPM vs TPS)
- Any Tables or linear constants involving trans fluid temp.
- If there are different tables for cruise and PE, I could use both as well.

If you have made alterations to the stock parameters, I don't care. I just need some basis to go off of here.

Lastly, if anyone knows how many teeth are on the reluctor for the VSS, I could use that too. Thanks.

I have no signiture

Re: Custom 4T40E Trans Controller
Friday, June 25, 2010 6:14 PM
Just my opinion, I think you should work on getting the megashift to work on the 4T40E since the GPIO can be used as a standalone unit. Could be a very useful resource for you auto guys.

But this is just me.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

I don't need to be dead to donate my organ.
Friday, June 25, 2010 7:34 PM
This would be cool, i hope it works out.

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:50 AM
Well, I've already written a good chunk of code over the past few days. Granted, it's very raw with only using look-up table values for RPM (no interpolation or VSS table look-up/blending yet), so there's still a lot to do. I'm having some issues with MPLab and PIC-C. I might have to find another compiler.

Anyways, can anyone with HPTuners get me some screen shots?

I have no signiture
Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:54 PM
Code is written and compiles...Prototype circuit is wired up...just waiting on the microcontrollers now.

I have no signiture
Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:36 PM
I like what i see

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:42 AM
thats intersting

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:31 AM
I like what I'm seeing!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, September 24, 2010 5:52 AM
oh my.

Underdog Racing
Monday, September 27, 2010 5:53 AM
Hmmm so could you in theory get this to work with one of those g6 4t45e shifters that has the manual shifting option? Cus that would be neat in a cavy

Monday, September 27, 2010 10:17 AM
If the G6 shifter uses a normal momentary on-off type switch for both the up-shift and down-shift, then that shouldn't be a problem. I've already included a manual shifting routine in the code. My intent is to use paddle shifters, though.

I have no signiture

Monday, September 27, 2010 10:51 AM
Hmmmmm this could be pretty useful.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Monday, September 27, 2010 11:17 AM
Flappy paddles....yes I approve!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, September 27, 2010 11:41 AM
Im not sure what they use to control the shifter. I will have to look into it. Maybe buy one. I could be happy with paddle shifters too.

Monday, September 27, 2010 11:43 AM
Im cornfused!, what does this do? lol

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, September 27, 2010 1:48 PM
Whalesac wrote:If the G6 shifter uses a normal momentary on-off type switch for both the up-shift and down-shift, then that shouldn't be a problem. I've already included a manual shifting routine in the code. My intent is to use paddle shifters, though.

Doesnt doing this ruin the clutches in the tranny?

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:17 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
Whalesac wrote:If the G6 shifter uses a normal momentary on-off type switch for both the up-shift and down-shift, then that shouldn't be a problem. I've already included a manual shifting routine in the code. My intent is to use paddle shifters, though.

I don't see why it would. The manual routine is set to only be selectable when in "Drive." P,N,R,1,2 and 3 don't have access to this routine. So, it would be identical to your PCM commanding a gear. The only difference, is "you" are commanding the gear.

I have no signiture
Monday, September 27, 2010 2:54 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Im cornfused!, what does this do? lol

Its a stand alone trans computer. It would make it possible to put a 4t40e or whatever else its compatible with into any fwd application. The 2.2 guys could easily swap out the non electronic 3t40 to this or older quad4 equipped cars could step up to this trans. Or those running a stand alone could utilize this to ditch the stock computer all together. Me personally I like the manual shifting option. It would make the car much more fun to drive.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:32 AM
Whalesac wrote:

I don't see why it would. The manual routine is set to only be selectable when in "Drive." P,N,R,1,2 and 3 don't have access to this routine. So, it would be identical to your PCM commanding a gear. The only difference, is "you" are commanding the gear.

I misunderstood you. Carry on.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:10 AM

I don't think dropping down a gear will do that. Dropping down to 1 at 40mph might cause a little wear and tear though. AFAIK, the factory programs for most cars with manual shift automatics don't allow you to do things like that. Or start from a dead stop in 4th... things like that.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:20 PM
A little update...

The 16F876A PICs came the other day. I had little scare early on. I thought I had bad chips as they would only work for like 20 seconds or so. I had completely forgotten to pull the master clear high. This took about half the day to find/debug, so I didn't get to do as much as I wanted to. Anyways. as the circuit sits right now, I tested the table look-up routine using 2 pots fed into a couple of the analog inputs to represent the TPS and to simulate RPM. The function accesses these table bins perfectly. Tomorrow, I will test my interpolation routine to provide a nice, smooth transition between the table bins. That's about it for now.

I have no signiture

Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:08 AM
I like what I see

Sunday, October 03, 2010 5:45 PM
Please please please dont take this the wrong way as I really like 'DIY' projects...however why are you trying to re-invent the wheel so bad when this is all already done in the megashift. The only thing stopping anybody from using a megashift on their 4T40e/45e is the pinnouts which in all honesty could have already been done too since I haven't checked recent additions to the code in like 6 months. It's not like the GPIO is cost prohibitive or anything. I can totally appreciate it if your just doing it for the sake of it....I can respect that. It's just that you have mad talent and doing something that has been done. If you are maybe in the market for ideas, it would be cool to build a controller that would bridge the link between MS and the factory SAE J1850 data lines so those of us running the MS can control the factory gauge cluster. That would be awesome. But for the record I do like what I see......

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:06 PM
^^^^ It's more or less just something I've wanted to do. I know for a fact, though, that the 4t65 to 4t40 conversion will have to be more than just a pinout. The 1-2 and 2-3 (or A and B) shift solenoid sequences between the two transmissions are completely different.

Gear______4t65e________4t40e
1________on on_________on off
2________off on_________off off
3________off off_________off on
4________on off_________on on

I'm sure the number of teeth on the reluctors are different as well, among several other slight differences. Granted, these aren't major, so I'm sure they probably wouldn't take much to change in megashift.

I will also consider looking into other things if you guys really want me to, but for now, I want to focus on this circuit. For the record though, I have no issues with my factory gauges

As the circuit stands right now, almost the entire code works perfectly. The only issue is with the VR sensor routine. I don't own a function generator, so I used one of the PWM outputs to simulate a conditioned VR signal. For whatever reason, it's only counting ~ 1/4 of the pulses it should for the given PWM frequency. I don't forsee this being a difficult fix, though. I know the problem isn't the PWM, because it's giving a very stable output (i.e. ripple doesn't drop below 4.7V). I'll look into it more tomorrow after work.

After this, the only thing left before testing should be building the VR conditioning circuit for the CPS and VSS, and building the buffers for the solenoids. It appears to be coming together nicely, gentlemen.

I have no signiture
Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:28 PM
It would be cool to have a more 'universal' plug in from the megasquirt in my mind. I have working gauges as well however in my case it requires the factory computer to exist in the car to run it and I have alot of useless effort to make the computer happy.... It's just annoying. A simpler way of doing it with a simple tach out,CLT, ect. from the MS would be ideal and have a controller read and output over J1850 to the cluster. I'm very decent with electronics, but I'm confident this is beyond my current abilities.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search