L61 Ecotec 2bar MAP sensor? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
L61 Ecotec 2bar MAP sensor?
Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:28 AM
Can I use the two bar from the LE5? Zzperformance.com sells a 2bar for it for 35 bucks.

"Vroom."
"Yo I wouldn't race him, there's not even an interior in his car man."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"
"Oh sh*t. F*ck that, dude..."

Re: L61 Ecotec 2bar MAP sensor?
Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:01 PM
No.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:41 PM
I have no idea, but you should probably ask three times so you can get a yes, no, and maybe thread.
Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:55 PM
Wtf i don't kmow why it posted three times... Sorry all. Well anyway what 2bar can i use? And why not the 2bar upgrade to the LE5? We can swap intake manifolds... why not the MAP sensor it uses?

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:01 PM
Wtf i don't kmow why it posted three times... Sorry all. Well anyway what 2bar can i use? And why not the 2bar upgrade to the LE5? We can swap intake manifolds... why not the MAP sensor it uses?

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:23 PM
are you turbo and using the stock mani and then faking a 2 bar tune with HP tuners then I believe so (unless the LE5's attaches differently). If you are blown then you cannot and should be using the 2.5 bar TMAP from the cobalt SS. I do know you can use the 2 bar map (baro) from the cobalt ss, aka the weird sensor on the top of the charger.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:14 AM
Leafy, I'm turbo'd so using that sensor on my mani fits perfect. I understand if i was blown i'd have to use a tmap, but the 2bar map will be fine plus i still have my IAT sensor plugged in after the intercooler and before the bov.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:52 AM
ok so clarify this 2 bar map sensor... im doing a turbo build now. would this sensor benifit me?? do i need it? whats the point of it?? thank you
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:43 AM
matt lyle wrote:ok so clarify this 2 bar map sensor... im doing a turbo build now. would this sensor benifit me?? do i need it? whats the point of it?? thank you

It depends on a few things. From your post I would say you would not know.

Who is tuning the car once boosted, and how?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:05 PM
Matt,

Yes, this sensor is of utmost importance. You can have the biggest, badest, most built Eco out there but if your still using the factory 1bar sensor you will not see any boost at all. The stock sensor is only good for 105kpa, or the maximum manifold pressure a naturally aspirated motor will see. The sensor will max out and it'll feel like you hit a rev limiter. Google "GM 2BAR MAP Sensor" in the product category. If you can afford it or can find a good deal on it, get the direct replacement for our motor. Looks like the stock one but can read about +/-15psi. I opted for the cheaper one from Autozone and ordered the pigtail connector from atpturbo.com and wired it into my factory wires and ran a vac line T to my boost reference line. Saved me a chunk of cash and does the same thing. So regardless of who's tuning or with what program, you NEED this. Just do not install this until your tuner fakes the 2bar tune, or your car probably won't even start.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:13 PM
1KWKCAV [Jim wrote:]Matt,

Yes, this sensor is of utmost importance. You can have the biggest, badest, most built Eco out there but if your still using the factory 1bar sensor you will not see any boost at all. The stock sensor is only good for 105kpa, or the maximum manifold pressure a naturally aspirated motor will see. The sensor will max out and it'll feel like you hit a rev limiter. Google "GM 2BAR MAP Sensor" in the product category. If you can afford it or can find a good deal on it, get the direct replacement for our motor. Looks like the stock one but can read about +/-15psi. I opted for the cheaper one from Autozone and ordered the pigtail connector from atpturbo.com and wired it into my factory wires and ran a vac line T to my boost reference line. Saved me a chunk of cash and does the same thing. So regardless of who's tuning or with what program, you NEED this. Just do not install this until your tuner fakes the 2bar tune, or your car probably won't even start.

You are sooo wrong in this info!!!!

Putting the 2 bar sensor on your car will not make it read boost. You run the factory 1 bar map and tune just fine. So yes it does matter how the car is going to be tuned and with what. The factory ECU does not read boost.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:25 PM
How on earth can a 1bar sensor run a boosted motor? What program are you using? It can't even read that kind of pressure...

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:36 PM
1KWKCAV [Jim wrote:]How on earth can a 1bar sensor run a boosted motor? What program are you using? It can't even read that kind of pressure...

First you need to understand how our ECU works.Fueling is not even based on map reading, it is TPS x RPM. Map sensor is used for timing control and for idling fueling..

So adding that 2 bar map sensor to a Alpha N ECU is goignt o change timing control, but your fueling will still be exactly the same.

There is ways to make the ECU read boost, so again it all matters on how the car is going to be tuned, and by who with what software.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:46 PM
So explain why everyone else using HPTuners has instructed me to run a 2bar or the 2.5 TMAP to tune my car. Tell me why my stock 1bar was trippin out when it reached 105kpa and would stop before getting into boost? Who here is running the stock baro sensor on their boosted motors? Why does the GM s/c kit require the 2.5tmap in order to function? I have never heard of this, granted I'm not a tuner but why do both of my tuning buddies (both of which own highly successful tuning companies in the GM and Honda markets) tell me to run something higher than a 1bar in order to properly tune for boost? Why did my 2bar fix my issues...

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:02 PM
So the question was would you benefit from running a 2 bar... and the answer is yes... whether you have a better timing curve or better AFRs ultimately they can be more consistently achieved with a 2bar sensor... therefore you Jim are correct... no matter how you look at it Mercy... you proved yourself wrong... optimizing timing will optimize horsepower... and if I were to choose 1bar or 2bar on a boosted app... I'd definitely go 2bar...

...I am the BEST at what I do...
"I guess your right[BlueBoost]. Me and my slow car are failers."

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:04 PM
1KWKCAV [Jim wrote:]So explain why everyone else using HPTuners has instructed me to run a 2bar or the 2.5 TMAP to tune my car. Tell me why my stock 1bar was trippin out when it reached 105kpa and would stop before getting into boost? Who here is running the stock baro sensor on their boosted motors? Why does the GM s/c kit require the 2.5tmap in order to function? I have never heard of this, granted I'm not a tuner but why do both of my tuning buddies (both of which own highly successful tuning companies in the GM and Honda markets) tell me to run something higher than a 1bar in order to properly tune for boost? Why did my 2bar fix my issues...

1. The GM kit for the Eco does have a 2.5 bar map. Also the kit comes with a reflash to the ECU which then makes it read boost, and read the sensor.
2. How was your sensor triping out? Yes a 1 bar map sensor will only read up to 105kpa.
3. I have 2 buddies running factory 1 bar map sensor's on there boosted cars. One is a Ecotec running 16 psi, the other is a LD9 running around 10psi. I tuned both of them.

Seeing as it says your car is tuned by HPT you do not have the GM reflash for the ECO so YOUR CAR DOES NOT READ BOOST FOR FUELING. Timing only, and you can ajust the last column (105 KPA) for boost timing. No that is not the most prefer way.

Again you need to understand how our ECU works, and then decide how your car is going to be tuned and with what before deciding what sensor's to use.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:08 PM
matt lyle wrote:would this sensor benifit me??

^^^this. Yes it will.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:09 PM
Ok so I have a gm reflashed ecu and the 36lbs injectors. Can i run a 2 bar sensor or do i absloutly need that 2.5tmap that comes with the gmpp s/c kit. I am going to be running a saab turbo.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:09 PM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote:So the question was would you benefit from running a 2 bar... and the answer is yes... whether you have a better timing curve or better AFRs ultimately they can be more consistently achieved with a 2bar sensor... therefore you Jim are correct... no matter how you look at it Mercy... you proved yourself wrong... optimizing timing will optimize horsepower... and if I were to choose 1bar or 2bar on a boosted app... I'd definitely go 2bar...

No not really.

I was responding to this:

Quote:

ok so clarify this 2 bar map sensor... im doing a turbo build now. would this sensor benifit me?? do i need it? whats the point of it?? thank you

Which I then posted this:

Quote:

It depends on a few things. From your post I would say you would not know.

Who is tuning the car once boosted, and how?

Which is all questions that need to be answered before saying what is best.

Yes timing needs to be good, but can be on our factory ECU's with factory map sensor (if you know what your doing).

So I did not prove myself wrong.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:11 PM
Ecofire8 wrote:Ok so I have a gm reflashed ecu and the 36lbs injectors. Can i run a 2 bar sensor or do i absloutly need that 2.5tmap that comes with the gmpp s/c kit. I am going to be running a saab turbo.

You could run the 2 bar map. Are you going to have tuning done, or just run the reflash?

Quote:

this. Yes it will.

Without know how he plans to tune and with what you can not say for sure.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:12 PM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote: and if I were to choose 1bar or 2bar on a boosted app... I'd definitely go 2bar...

Or maybe a 3bar in your case, Aaron.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:18 PM
I am just planning on running the gm reflash

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:19 PM
....holy mother of "tomato, tomáto". Whoever is tuning your car Matt will appreciate the 2bar's resolution, even though either way res is lost. There is a vast majority preference for a reason, Matt.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:25 PM
Ecofire8 wrote:I am just planning on running the gm reflash

This i'm pretty sure you need the 2.5tmap since that tune is calibrated for it. Plus the tune is locked so you wont be able to edit tables for a different sensor. You'll be fine w/ that tune for some pretty decent boost levels, just ask Aaron. Lol

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:26 PM
Ecofire8 wrote:I am just planning on running the gm reflash

Then I would for sure run the 2.5 bar map so it runs as is. Changing to a 2 bar map on a ECU setup for a 2.5bar map will change fueling and timing (Because the GM reflash reads boost).

Let me say if I had my choice yes I would run a 2 bar map sensor for fueling, but our stock ECU's do not use map reading for fueling, so we must keep that in mind and work around that.

Of course I do not know anything.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search