When do rich codes show up?? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
When do rich codes show up??
Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:24 AM
I went out to set my fuel pressure yesterday (Hahn stage 2). After getting on it quite a bit, I hit a max boost of just barely 8 psi and mostly 7 psi. The fuel pressure was about 80-85 psi. Now my question is, if it was running rich during these runs, when would the car throw a rich code if it was indeed to rich? I received the code several hours later after the car was turned off and on a few times. The engine light came on when I was just cruising down the road and not in the boost at all. Should I assume that the car was too rich under boost or could my idle setting be too rich? I am running an idle pressure of 35 psi exactly, which is what Hahn says to run. I am just hoping for any input or advice for keeping the engine lights off!! Thanks guys.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: When do rich codes show up??
Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:22 AM
Listening...

I have the same problem. Im running the Stage 2 Hahn kit. Everyonce in a while i will get a CEL for running to rich. I have my idle set to 35psi also, and under boost 8-9psi i see about 90 psi fuel pressure.

Plus i get a code for catalyst efficency... But i know this one is prolly cause im not running a Cat...

2004 Turbo cavalier 11PSI and blown!
Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:15 AM
You are actually seeing 9 psi with the Hahn kit??? I can't get anymore than barely 8 psi with the wastegate adjusted and running the acutaor signal from the intake manifold. Once I got a cat it got rid of that CEL. But the rich thing is bugging the crap out of me. It just almost randomly happens or happens so late, you don't know what it is referring to.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:15 PM
I would see if you could find someone with a scanner that can help you out. That way you can get a freeze frame of when the code set. The more information you can get about what was going on when the cel came on the better chances are that you will correct the problem.

............super 60 on its way
Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:23 PM
I get the exact same thing also with my kit but im not worried about it cause it goes on and off constantly so im guessing it is running rich under boost and then kicks in while crusing for some reason but mine goes off. Im running about 8 psi with a fuel pressure of like 85

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:25 PM
The code will only flag after been seen 3 times for a certain period of time and under certain parameter conditions. It is nothing to worry about and comes mostly from using injectors 13#s bigger than those from the factory.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:25 PM
Hypsy: I was thinking the same thing about maybe because of the injectors being bigger... But im gonna moniter the parameter's somtime this week with a scanner to see whats really goin on...

SilverCave: Im seeing 8psi on just the Hahn kit itself, vary rarly 9 unless im really really getting on it hard... But i am runnin a boost controller, and i upped the PSI to hit between 9-11psi depending on how hard im on it...

2004 Turbo cavalier 11PSI and blown!
Friday, May 19, 2006 7:35 AM
So you guys think this code is unavoidable? I was thinking about turning the brass needle to lean out the fuel under boost. Should I not do this then? I don't have a code reader nor does anyone I know. I just go to an auto parts store and have them read or clear codes for me. Free but not real convenient.

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:13 AM
silvercav02 wrote:So you guys think this code is unavoidable? I was thinking about turning the brass needle to lean out the fuel under boost. Should I not do this then? I don't have a code reader nor does anyone I know. I just go to an auto parts store and have them read or clear codes for me. Free but not real convenient.

It is if you have HP Tuners... Il never get that code, along with a few others again!!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:23 AM
silvercav02 wrote:So you guys think this code is unavoidable? I was thinking about turning the brass needle to lean out the fuel under boost. Should I not do this then? I don't have a code reader nor does anyone I know. I just go to an auto parts store and have them read or clear codes for me. Free but not real convenient.

It is unavoidable for the simple fact that it is completely random. I have gotten it in the middle of a run, while cruising on the highway, while sitting at a stoplight, you get the idea. It is so flaky that I don't even worry about the CEL any more unless the car acts weird too.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, May 19, 2006 9:44 AM
lol, It is very random, I get it when the car is turned off, (Sarcasm), the P0172 I think.
Another one is the P0300 the Multiple Cylinder Misfire, I hate that Sum Bich. lol
You got it for spending the money on a Cavalier, just like the rest of us.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Friday, May 19, 2006 11:21 AM
Yeah I occasionally would get a misfire code, but only in bank 3. It was quite erratic. I think I fixed it though by resetting the plug gap and wiping off the silicone grease on the plug.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 6:27 AM
I can confirm this as well I have the P0172. The light comes on and off on the dash all the time pretty much every other day, but the code shows on a scanner all the time even if the light on the dash isnt on. Im using 310cc injects now instead of the 252cc stock ones, I even tried backing off fuel pressure you can only back that so far off without messing up what you get in boost. I'm actually a tad rich even in boost it drops down to low 10s before it really hits then stays stuck on low 11s whole way through to red, I could prob back off a few lbs of pressure but im using the stock regulator right now.

When HP tuners comes then im hoping i can trim some fuel off out of boost so this code goes away or at least make it so it doesnt come on, how exactly that is done im not sure, i guess i have a few more weeks of waiting before the hp comes in

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:15 AM
Rodmius, you're saying that the code is there even when the CEL isn't on??? Wow, I wouldn't even think to look for that nor does it make much sense. That would mean the CEL just kinda "APPEARS".

Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:29 AM
silvercav02 wrote:Rodmius, you're saying that the code is there even when the CEL isn't on??? Wow, I wouldn't even think to look for that nor does it make much sense. That would mean the CEL just kinda "APPEARS".
The code can be there and the light can be off... After so many failures is when the light comes on.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:54 AM
Sounds like its not a big deal so I will just deal with it myself. With a little tweaking the stage 2 kit with the 20g is bad ass! I hit 11psi with my Hahn kit with no boost controller so there is potential, look at hypsy Boost controller is going in soon though, just hanging out in the garage right now.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:04 AM
just cause the light on the dash isnt on doesnt mean you dont have a code, or a pending code, you need a code reader to really know whats going on

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:44 AM
Yea the codes are stored in the history I had like 70 something codes stored, and none pending cause I erase them.
But when they come back you get the code for the particular time plus you get the pending code back. lol

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search