Need some advice ( 2.4L GM S/C ) - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some advice ( 2.4L GM S/C )
Saturday, December 09, 2006 3:07 PM
How's it going fellaz? I'm needing some helpful advice on not blowing my motor. I have a 2.4L with the GM S/C, 310cc injectors, Both: 2.6" & 2.8" Blower pulleys, FPR, and thats pretty much it as far as Forced Induction and fuel mods go. My question is this. Will i be okay to drive my car without the reflash with the 2.8"? I'm planning on ordering HPTuners, but i'm going to take the car to have it professionally tuned but the Dyno is about 3-4 hours away from where i live, so is this possible? Should i do anything before driving it? Any helpful opinions or advice will not be taken for granted!

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!

Re: Need some advice ( 2.4L GM S/C )
Saturday, December 09, 2006 5:23 PM
you need something to reference your fuel pressure for boost. like a FMU. dont hit boost until that is on or you will blow the motor... do you have HPT? if so you can tune for boost by faking a 2 bar tune.. im not 100% how that works for the older ECMs but shifted should be able to chime in here

Saturday, December 09, 2006 7:25 PM
You can zip tie the by-pass valve to keep it from building boost until you get HPT and get to the dyno. If you are asking if you can boost safely, like stated above no.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 09, 2006 9:40 PM
So, i would need a FMU and a FPR? I got the FPR thinking that was the same as the FMU... So, the best bet would be for me to get HPTuners and fake the 2 bar huh? Okay, well for giggles does anyone know where i could get the HPTuners (GM Reflash) file? Could I use the stock reflash until i get it dyno tuned? I'm wanting to use the 2.6" Pulley so what would my best bet be?

Saturday, December 09, 2006 10:48 PM
Get reflashed, that way you can tune based on MAP readings instead of throttle position and rpm.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 5:50 AM
You can't use the GM reflash on a '99. Only on '00 and up.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Sunday, December 10, 2006 6:04 AM
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:You can't use the GM reflash on a '99. Only on '00 and up.

exactly. So he needs to get HPT and try and set it up himself. Might find someone who already has a tuned pre 2000 GM charged car with HPT get a copy of there file and use that as the starting point until you get tuned. If you do not then you would need a FMU. No a FMU and a FPR are not the same. If you have HPT you will not need a AFPR or FMU at all.

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 10, 2006 11:45 AM
get it flashed, do it right, find some one with HPT. or buy it yourself.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, December 10, 2006 5:40 PM
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:You can't use the GM reflash on a '99. Only on '00 and up.

Ohhh...butt.

Sorry.

Monday, December 11, 2006 4:23 AM
So, if i were to buy an FMU then could i hit boost and be okay? I plan on buying HPTuners but when i get home i have to drive it around a bit to turn in my sensitive items to the arms room and what not. I wont have time to tune my car right away, so what's the best way i could hit boost without being tuned right away? If this FMU is the way to go, where could i get it....also, where could i get the HPtuners GM reflash file? I've tried to go to the GM dealership and the retards wouldn't reflash my car, i'm guessing because it's a 99.....so as far as getting it reflashed HPTuners is the way to go. Let me know something though, thanks guys for the helpful advice!

Monday, December 11, 2006 11:05 AM
1. Yes, if you bought a FMU, you could probably run boost safely. However, without a wideband O2 sensor, you have no idea where your A/F numbers are which isn't good.

2. What is the best way to hit boost without being tuned?! There is no such thing. DON'T hit boost if you aren't tuned. That's the best way I can say it. Believe me, I know from first hand experience. You don't want to have to put in a new motor just so you could hit boost a few times.

3. Best way to go for tuning is HPT. Don't bother with an FMU, etc. Just don't hit boost until you get tuned.

4. The reason the GM garage wouldn't reflash your car is because it is a '99. It CANNOT be reflashed. All pre-'00 cars CANNOT be reflashed.

The best way and most reliable way to be tuned is with HP Tuners. I wouldn't go any other route. I will be buying it soon and getting rid of the crappy FMU setup.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Monday, December 11, 2006 12:37 PM
So, you had an FMU and still blew your motor?
That sucks! So, wher could i get a HPTuners GM reflash file? And if i get this file....could i run boost with just the reflash with my 2.6" on there?

Monday, December 11, 2006 1:29 PM
Well, I blew my motor because of a few reasons. lack of proper tuning, 10 psi on a stock block, and a misfiring issue. That's besides the point. It's impossible to get a good tune off of an FMU all throughout the RPM range. All it does is vary fuel pressure. It doesn't allow you to change timing, PE, all that good stuff which also contributes to a good tune.

As far as a GM reflash file, I don't think you are grasping the concept. GM doesn't make a "tune" for a pre '00 car. Your best bet would be to first off buy HPTuners, then grab a file from someone who has a similiar setup on a pre '00 car. I think there is a file repository on HPTuners website as well as possibly Shifted's website. But it isn't going to be as simple as copying a file over and then being done. You are still gonna have to data log and tweak to your car's specifications. Read up on some of Shifted's stickied FAQ's.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, December 11, 2006 1:54 PM
Okay, i understand that. This is what i plan on doing...
1> Buy HpTuners
2> Download the File 'closest' to my setup
3> Use that file only to drive around a few days on
4> Go to the Dyno and get it tuned

So, I will get HPTuners and tune it now all thanks to the wonderful knowledge i just received from this site....i was only trying to be able to limp it for a couple of days. Amiral Jedi brought up a good reason for me to buy Hptuners though...so i can get the tune having MAP instead of using TPS....good point. So, i will buy Hptuners on the 15th and be looking around for the file i'll need. Thanks everyone for your psts, but now....does anyone know of a set-up similar to mine?

Mods;
Stock Motor
GM Supercharger w/ 2.8" and 2.6" pulleys
Turbo Tech Racing Motor Mounts
Aeromotive FPR
Lightened Stock Sized Crank Pulley
DC Sports 4-2-1 Race Header
Some Ebay Catback
and that pretty much does it...

Like said above thanks everyone for there advice!

Monday, December 11, 2006 2:08 PM
Brian,
Looks like you have things in order and understand what you have to do. Just stick to that plan, and you will be good to go. Try posting on Shifted's forums or on HPTuners with your current mod list and I think you will have better luck there finding someone to share their tune with you. Best of luck to you.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, December 11, 2006 5:19 PM
Admiral Jedi wrote:

Ohhh...butt.

Sorry.

DUMB.

with HPT, you take all the GM 2K up tables and transpose them on to your 99 PCM.

IE

do it right and REFLASH it.

ANY time you plug in and change ANYTHING, its a REFLASH.

That is what i ment.

get it now?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:23 PM
I definately do get what you're saying, and i knew what you were saying, but the word REFLASH on this forum usually pertains to the GM REFLASH, but i'm glad you cleared that up. Luke, i do appreciate all the help, i'll PM Shifted and see if he could help me out in any way.....and by the way.....i dont know who she is, but that girl on the right of your Sig is SOOO hott!! Thanks again!

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:26 PM
ask Wrench moneky, i took Rons flash and "messed with it" i dident change timing, but afr and somethings,

i think Tom might of sent it to ron

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:29 PM
Yeah, when it comes to tuning, Shifted is the man. I'm sure he will be willing to give you some tips. And yeah, reflash is used somewhat liberally here, I guess we got kinda confused as to who meant what, but it's cleared up now.

Oh, and the two pics in my sig are actually of the same girl. It's my g/f :-) I agree, she is hott

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, December 11, 2006 5:36 PM
The same girl? WHAT???? Well, why does she look the way she does on the left if she looked sooo hott on the right? Man, i'm sorry but i haven't seen a girl (Hott one) in about 6 months now.....Yea, Iraq doesn't have those! She looks very sweet though.....i wish you two the best of luck....I'll try and get in touch with shifted now....Thanks for the help again bud!

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:36 PM
I never got the chance to see what size pulleys produce what boost. So what kind of boost do you get out of both the 2.6" and 2.8" pullys.

Remember: You don't just cuddle with Max Power, you strap yourself in and prepare for the G's!

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:41 PM
LOL, yes the same girl. The pic on the left was taken about two years earlier than the pic on the right. That is probably why. I can't imagine being in Iraq and no eye candy :-( Must get awful lonely after awhile.

Max, 2.6" should net between 8-10 psi and the 2.8" around 3-5 psi.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, December 11, 2006 5:42 PM
TEAM GREEN dosent do that bad anyway, We might have Ron do Mail order Flashing, lol

but thats down the road now, we still have to get out buiness lic and what not,

i hope to have LSD's for sale, Short throw shifters, and some other Misc Team Green stuf for the Jbody cars soon.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, December 11, 2006 8:00 PM
Quote:

DUMB.

with HPT, you take all the GM 2K up tables and transpose them on to your 99 PCM.

IE

do it right and REFLASH it.

ANY time you plug in and change ANYTHING, its a REFLASH.

That is what i ment.

get it now?

actually anytime you plug in and change anything is not considered a reflash.
cars that are capable of being reflashed must contain Electronic Erasable Program Read Only Memory
(aka Double E-PROM) in the vehicles control module.
ie: the VCM reflash for the 00+ GM S/C kit.
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:09 AM
You can read up on "Faking a 2bar" HERE.

The '00 and up PCM (ECU) use a different operating software then the '99-'96. Thus the reason you can't use the GM S/C reflash. You could swap out your '99 PCM for a'00 by just changing a few of the wiring pinouts. I've taken my '96 and ran a '97-98 with a fake 2bar then swapped to a '99 with a fake 2bar and I'm now running a '00 with the GM S/C reflash plus some tuning.

The only thing with running the '00 is you'll have some dash lights on all the time. I've switched out my dash cluster for this so it doesn't bother me at all.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search