Painting 02 Z24 at home - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Painting 02 Z24 at home
Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:07 PM
Looks good, but I gotta ask, please tell me u painted under the hood. Bc it would be bad if you did all this work, got it to look great, and didnt paint under the trunk and hood. Also, is that dust/dirt on the trunk lid?? Either way, jeez it looks great. Wanna do that to my vert???? Lol.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:11 AM
I'll show some more pics of those areas when its all together.. I painted under the hood, trunk, and in the engine bay with satin black epoxy primer. I know I should have gone the extra step and matched it like I did the door jams, but the summer is literally over, and I haven't driven this damn thing since november! Personally though, I think it looks slick with it black, but perhaps thats just my impatience speaking, haha.
Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:20 AM
I actually thing the satin black engine bay with that color grey is a great choice! I'm repainting with a similar shade of grey, and was considering doing the engine bay in a satin black, figured the two colors would tie in well with the carbon fiber accents I have going.

Keep up the good work!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:00 AM
Sweet work !!!....Love the color...got to do a X2 though, the black on the roof would have been a very nice touch...You gonna sand and buff to a mirror finish and one more...wanna help with mine ???!!!???...lol

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:08 PM
02_redbadged wrote:yum! so what color is it?

X2^^
Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:40 PM
Nice job. this at home job turned out so much better then the last one we all saw hahaha. u know hes still painting it and hand rubbing it. haha thank god this wasnt another Justin Smith special hahahaha.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:35 PM
wow looks great for a garage paint job. and the color looks amazing! nice work man!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:46 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all of the compliments! Its taken a ridiculously long time to finish putting it back together and clean everything up in the process. I'm going to spray the right side and hood again this weekend as I'm not satisfied with how it layed out.. Also, the primer showed through on the hood, so it ended up being an unintentional 2-tone job anyhow

The color is 2010 Acura TSX Grigio Metallic, code NH736M
Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:51 PM
Ryan Martin wrote:Hey guys, thanks for all of the compliments! Its taken a ridiculously long time to finish putting it back together and clean everything up in the process. I'm going to spray the right side and hood again this weekend as I'm not satisfied with how it layed out.. Also, the primer showed through on the hood, so it ended up being an unintentional 2-tone job anyhow

The color is 2010 Acura TSX Grigio Metallic, code NH736M

I'm curious what brands paint you found this in? I've been looking at some newer acura colors, and my usual supplier said it was only available in Nasson (threw them at least). I don't really like working with Nasson, I usually prefer Dupont Centari or ChromaBase, or PPG.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:38 AM
Nice work! I just got done painting my 02. Love the color. What is wrong with the panels you want to redo?

nasson is good paint. I always use it. yes the others especially chroma are better but more expensive. I just shaved/painted my buddies cobalt ss trunk lid with nasson, Looks beautiful. Then A friend of mine brought me some Omni paint to use on his roof. I will not ever use omni paint again... looks ok but when laying clear on it and it dries it doesnt look as glossy as wanted.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:51 AM
They should have offered a stock slate/dark gray color like that for the cavy/sunfire models...

Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:24 PM
Man this is great.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:49 PM
good job, looks nice. Tell her to get off it lol.
Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:22 PM
That looks freaking wicked.
Are you in Ontario? I seen a plate hanging in your shop.. and judging by the rust.. lol

Are those front and rear skirts factory? I want those for my 00 Z24.. I think they look goofy with just the side skirt

Friday, October 01, 2010 12:44 AM
I love this
Friday, October 01, 2010 1:19 PM
Did you teach your girlfriend not to put her fingerprints all over your windshield after that photo was taken? lol

Take more pictures of your garage, your equipment, etc.

I also noticed something strange on the trunk that may look like dust, or could be only due to the camera angle...
Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:27 AM
Thanks guys, lol. I used Nason paint. I've always had pretty good luck with Nason base and clear. They've recently introduced a new line that has lower VOC that I've yet to try. Its the next step towards making this paint illegal to buy and only offering water based.. Boo! The Nason system works well for the work that I do. Its not the highest end, but it gets full of dust, mosquitos, moths, various other garage gremlins anyhow, haha. The pictures that I took in the garage don't show off the paint very well. I looks like it has a very sandy finish from some angles, but its mostly from funny lighting and a cheap camera. I'm going to go to work and clean my car up to get some good finished pics this afternoon. I'll also post some pictures of the equipment that I use within the next few days for those who are interested.
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:07 PM
Here are some outside pictures finally. I'm trying to decide which rims to stick with. 16" stock 2004 z24 rims with 225 50 16, or BSA 17's with 225 45 17s.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:31 AM
Ryan Martin wrote:Thanks guys, lol. I used Nason paint. I've always had pretty good luck with Nason base and clear. They've recently introduced a new line that has lower VOC that I've yet to try. Its the next step towards making this paint illegal to buy and only offering water based.. Boo! The Nason system works well for the work that I do. Its not the highest end, but it gets full of dust, mosquitos, moths, various other garage gremlins anyhow, haha. The pictures that I took in the garage don't show off the paint very well. I looks like it has a very sandy finish from some angles, but its mostly from funny lighting and a cheap camera. I'm going to go to work and clean my car up to get some good finished pics this afternoon. I'll also post some pictures of the equipment that I use within the next few days for those who are interested.

I've used the new low VOC line from Nason, pretty much just like other Nason products, as far as sprayability, atomization, etc. I've gotten great end results with Nason, I just don't like how thin it is, as far as working with it. To much like water based, which like you said, is all we're going to be left with in the near future.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:56 AM
OMG man that car is absolutely GORGEOUS!
I am extremely jealous, good job man!

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:01 AM
wow that looks amazing, what are the wheels on the passenger side? those the bsa's? name and size and specs please? you just showed me my new wheel also any close ups of them?

that looks amazing man. love the color.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:05 AM

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:27 AM
Damn, real sick. Lovin everything about the car.

Oh, and sweet neighborhood you live in, different looking houses.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:50 AM
Wonderfully done. Good job man!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 5:23 PM
[

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 5:33 PM
Hey, here is a close up pic of the BSA's. I bought them used from a guy who said they're about 5 years old. Unfortunatly I couldn't find a model # or anything, I just know they're 17x7. I don't know what the offset is, but I'm running 225 45 17s, the car is lowered, and I don't have any rubbing issues.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search