Painting 02 Z24 at home - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Painting 02 Z24 at home
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:17 PM
i like them except for the parts inside the spokes.

other than the tails, it looks top notch!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:24 PM
I don't usually comment in picture threads of people I don't know, but I just have to say that this car looks amazing, with either set of wheels. Congrats, it looks very nice, esp. for doing it in a garage.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:51 AM
awesome job. probably the nicest I have seen in a garage, looks as good as a pro paintjob. what was the setup you used for this? I mean the type of sprayer, filter, etc. i'm slowly more and more wanting to be involved in painting, and that paintjob alone made me set my heart on it. haha.

I have a brother who is now a head tech, but used to work for a body shop and painted my bumper when campus security from a college ran into me. I feel guilty about picking his brain constantly though, I already do it enough for the mechanical aspects haha
Thursday, October 07, 2010 6:42 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I've tried many different types of guns during my painting escapades, but the one I've had the best results with is the cambel housfield non-HVLP from Home depot. Its easy to set up and you don't need a massive compressor to run it. I have painted three cars with my cambel housefield 8 gallon compressor from canadian tire without any issues. I've moved up to a 30 gallon now though as the 8 gallon was useless for anything else. The filter / water trap I use is a cheapy one mounted on the compressor. I just drain the water out of the compressor and refill it before painting and I've never had a problem.
I'll post some pics of the eqipment that I use on the weekend do give you a better idea.
Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:45 PM
WOW. i love that color. its definitely my favorite. i love dark greys.

i know people told you etc but i read and didnt find an answer, so did you remove the side moldings (not door trims), side MOLDINGS. (the pieces that are stuck to the SIDE of the car to prevent door dings etc) before paint? if so thats pretty much the only thing i dont like. only reason i say that is because the paint is going to chip around the edges. other than that flaw id say one hell of a job.

ps, whats with the jamaca mon dread locks? LOL

Underdog Racing
Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:32 PM
Ryan Martin wrote:I took the side door trim off just to straighten it out, but I put it back on after sealing it with some epoxy primer and black. My reason for this was only so the trim would take the focus off the "almost but not quite straight" door skin. Everyone including the girlfriend has been giving me a hard time about this, haha. I respect your opinion though. I painted an 2000 z24 last summer in red that I took the trim off of. It looked pretty clean at first glance, but the bodywork wasn't quite straight enough so it always anoyed me when I looked at it. I figured I'd try leaving it on this time for a change. It I'm able to straighten it out more in the future I may do away with them. I'll post a pic or two of that one when I get the chance.

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:49 AM
Wow awesome work. Car looks mint!

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:01 PM
Great job. Love the color and everything. Would you be interested in painting my z24? lol.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:54 PM
One of the best cav's Ive seen. love the color man and rims and lights & exhaust.

get some tint to finish it off!

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Monday, November 01, 2010 7:55 AM
Looks great, some rear discs would finish the package. The taillights arent the greatest IMHO, but if you like them, thats all that matters. They would look better slightly smoked though.

Ive been trying to decide on a color to paint my car for the past year or so. Been thinking a pewteror dark grey but couldnt picture it. Now that I can I know it would look great.

Good work.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Painting 02 Z24 at home... new pics
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:17 PM

So I finally found a decent set of stock tails from a local wrecker. I didn't mind the smoked ones, but I think these are the better way to go... The first few pics are taken at the old grain teriminals in Collingwood. Pretty cool looking place I think.

Re: Painting 02 Z24 at home... new pics
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:30 PM
I'm a fan.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:31 PM
So clean, I love the tires and the whole stance of the car

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:48 PM
I saw the build up pics of this on Facebook through Bill Tolias. I didnt know you were on here. Great job man, I really love it.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:03 PM
Love the color / all around look of the car, great job!
i was wondering how that intake setup was working for you, ive thought about doing that but wasnt sure if it was a good idea or not to have the filter so close to the radiator? if you havent had any troubles i may pick up a cone filter lol
Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:34 AM
Sick paint bro.....I have yet to see another cavy with that color....looks so agressive and clean.. Great Job!
Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:44 AM
thats clean ! love the color.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:45 AM
need ya to travel to texas and paint mine next

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:41 PM
Haha, thanks for the compliments guys. I was toying with the idea of selling it, and actually had it listed for a bit. However, I've decided not to, mostly due to the response I've got to it through here. May aswell enjoy the work I put in it for a while first.
In response to the air filter.. I just used a piece of exhaust adaptor from canadian tire to change from the size of the stock intake to the cone filter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search