ddm tuning hid kit question - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ddm tuning hid kit question
Saturday, January 08, 2011 4:55 PM
I have a 2000 cavalier base sedan. I was wondering about the ddm tuning hid kits. What kit and wattage does everyone recommend? Do I need anything else other than the kit Its self? I wont be getting projectors until a later date.

Re: ddm tuning hid kit question
Saturday, January 08, 2011 6:12 PM
35watt kits will be fine, and buy the relay harness save yourself some issues down the road.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:19 AM
do this go for the 03+ too, regarding the relay harness? do should i just do the drl disable?

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB
Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:31 AM
Spitfire wrote:do this go for the 03+ too, regarding the relay harness? do should i just do the drl disable?

Do both. HID don't like DRL and also your stock wires will thank you for doing the relay. Many have stated they run without it just fine but is it worth the crap shoot of burning your stock wires up over 20 dollars? Also many have come back saying that they fried the wiring. I know w few people that have almost burnt there car to the ground from running HID without a harness.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:03 PM
i got the 35 watt 5k hid kit in my 05 cav fan it for like a week without the harness becuase i ordered them seperately and no whav t relay harness too, with or withot the harness the light output and startup time is exactly the same. but i rather have it for cheap insurance. the 5k kit i got looks decent and is infinitly brighter than my silverstars

Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:06 PM
o yea and i disabled my drls wa before my hid install and it was way easier than i thought to do and on my 05 i had to reverse the polarity on the wiring harness to get my hids to work

Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:13 PM
^pics

Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:30 PM
Don't skimp. Get the relay harness. If not, you may have melting issues, I know I did.

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:35 PM
yeah, a relay harness is a must. There are lots of places to get them, and they come in varying qualities. i would try to get one as waterproof as possible.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:23 PM
Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:24 PM
i got the relay harness from ddm tuning once i figured out how to reverse the wires for them to turn on, that was a big pia becuase no one had the right answer on how to do it, but i eventually figured it out.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:52 PM
DJ Beefy wrote:i got the relay harness from ddm tuning once i figured out how to reverse the wires for them to turn on, that was a big pia becuase no one had the right answer on how to do it, but i eventually figured it out.

You had to reverse yours? Mine were straight plug and play, no reversing needed

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Sunday, January 09, 2011 5:22 PM
Does anyone know what the difference between between apexcone raptor mid size hid kit and the ddm slim ballast kit is? Will either kit work for my car? Their site says they are out of stock of the ddm slim ballast kit.
Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:18 PM
Don't be that douche driving around blinding everyone, get projectors, they are easy to install and only cast about $200.

Cavie Freak aka E-Thug wrote:Many have stated they run without it just fine but is it worth the crap shoot of burning your stock wires up over 20 dollars?

That's what $.05 fuses are for. I've had no problems running a 35 watt 6000k kit in my low beams and a 35 watt 3000k kit in my fogs. If you are still using the correct fuse you will pop the fuse long before you melt the wires.

DRL disable is a must, ballasts really don't like being given low voltages.

The Raptors are just full sided ballasts, honestly I would wait for the slim kit. BTW, the DDM slim ballasts are still Apexcone ballasts, just re-branded.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:22 PM
Both wil work fine. The raptor kit is the "older" style with the larger ballasts. Thats really the only difference.

And I have the slim ballasts from ddm in 6k bi-xenon, which comes with the relay harness.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:31 PM
Will either kit disable/delete the high beam function or will the high beam still work?
Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:37 PM
You have to buy the 9007 hi/lo kit for an extra $15 to keep your high beam function, but you'd be better off buying a quality projector kit with a flip up cut off.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:23 PM
The bi-xenon kit is a High and Low beam. There's almost no difference between the two, I just got the Bi-xenon for inspection purposes.

The regular kit is a low beam only, and you will not have a high beam.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:30 PM
There is a big difference between a Hi/low HID bulb and a true bi-xenon projector.

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:24 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:There is a big difference between a Hi/low HID bulb and a true bi-xenon projector.

Yes I know that, but thank you for making that clear to the OP.

Only reason I got the bulbs that move is to pass inspection, so I don't have to remove the HID's and put back in factory bulbs every time I get an inspection.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:21 PM
bringing this one back....Im about to order the 9007 hi/low kit with the harness, 35watt/5k or 6k for $90.
I've been wondering what these will look like...will these cut across with a noticable cut-off line like true projectors, or will these basically do a full spectrum blind job on passer-by's?
Basically I dont want to spend a couple hundred, but the 9007 "upgrades" i have just dont cut it. I want these for saftey, not to look cool (like ppl that order the 10/12k).
So for $90, I can simply order it right now, and have a nice clean look that doesnt look like a cheap walmart bulb upgrade, and exponentially upgrade my visibility SAFELY.

does anyone have a pic of these actually working in real world experience, not just pics sitting in their driveways? Also, I like the hint of blue but want the brightest possible, 5k would be noticably brighter than 6k right?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:33 PM
blu04DD wrote:bringing this one back....Im about to order the 9007 hi/low kit with the harness, 35watt/5k or 6k for $90.
I've been wondering what these will look like...will these cut across with a noticable cut-off line like true projectors, or will these basically do a full spectrum blind job on passer-by's?
Basically I dont want to spend a couple hundred, but the 9007 "upgrades" i have just dont cut it. I want these for saftey, not to look cool (like ppl that order the 10/12k).
So for $90, I can simply order it right now, and have a nice clean look that doesnt look like a cheap walmart bulb upgrade, and exponentially upgrade my visibility SAFELY.

does anyone have a pic of these actually working in real world experience, not just pics sitting in their driveways? Also, I like the hint of blue but want the brightest possible, 5k would be noticably brighter than 6k right?

If you adjust them down far enough, you'll see a vague cut-off though it's nowhere near as defined as projectors would give you.
You won't blind anyone and the light output will look nicely defined but you'll only see about 20-30 feet in front of you. Not exactly safe or useful.
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:42 PM
You will blind everyone, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:22 PM
so whats a good plug and play projector style replacement for the 03+ cavaliers? Im not wanting to drop $300 right now if I dont have to, but these 9007's are killing my visibility, as i live in a dark area with lots of deer.

Are those headlight setups John Benham (Everything Headlights, Group sale section) sells projector style? For like $300+ he sells the housing and everything...or are those just the same HID kits with fancy angel eyes and stuff?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:52 AM
@Transporter where did you get your projectors and do they make plug and play kits like the HID ones from DDM Tuning, for example?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search