Black roofs on sunfire gts?? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Black roofs on sunfire gts??
Monday, October 31, 2011 1:20 AM
Anybody wanna enlighten me on the history of this?? iv seen a few in pics..

Re: Black roofs on sunfire gts??
Monday, October 31, 2011 1:39 AM
Was an option on early 3rd gen GT's. My friend has a red 96 or 97 GT with the black roof. As far as I can tell though, not very common.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:04 AM
iv seen a few for sale on craigslist in my area, i would love to pick up a Gt 5sp....now my next question would it be wrong if i did the "black top" look on my SE....

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:36 AM
you can do what ever you would like to with paint on your car as long as you like it. I have a friend that painted the roof of his silver 02 Cav black a while back. I really like the look, but then again I have a 96 GT red with the black roof stock.

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:18 AM
well my car is probably guna end up white or silver and the color contrast would look good..imo

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:23 PM
I believe the black roofs were only available on 1995 and 1996 Sunfire GTs.

Rather than paint, I would suggest maybe trying black vinyl or black Plasti-Dip first, that way if you don't like how it looks, it's easily removed and didn't cost a ton of money. I do think it would look pretty good though, especially on white or silver *cough* do silver *cough* .

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:57 AM
Well in my case i am the painter soo its wouldnt be no problem to respray...and i have been looking into silver

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:30 PM
Locally there is a guy with a white gt black roof / factory red cloth interior. For a j it's droolworthy.
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:15 PM
My my first sunfire was red with red interior, now i have charcoal..im pretty stuck on the black roof now..lol

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:53 PM
Had mine painted cause i like the look so much! Lafonjef's is right behind mine!

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:35 PM
yea i think im sold on it...

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:42 PM
been thinking of painting my hood as well...but idk..im guna have a 00-02 GT front bumper w/ eyelid hood and the whole car is guna be silver or white..the only thing that makes me not wanna paint the hood black is because when u have eyelids it makes it look bought not hand made.....i wish i had a way to see my car with color..that way i could decide..haha

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:50 AM
yeah if you just spray your hood black its going to look like you just bought the hood off someone and can't afford to have it painted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:10 AM
sndsgood wrote:yeah if you just spray your hood black its going to look like you just bought the hood off someone and can't afford to have it painted.

My thoughts EXACTLY! BUT 02_redbadged's car looks pretty good with silver on black......

Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:47 PM
I think his is carbon, though. As for the factory 2-tone, I've seen mostly red ones.. came across a few in the junkyards. In fact, every time I've seen one, it's also had the charcoal headliner as well. Also seen them with either charcoal or red interior. The oddest one I've found was a teal GT with a black roof. I've only seen the one, so it kind of makes me wonder if they had it done.. but the rest of the car was bone stock, so I'm inclined to believe that this was just a rarity. I love some of the random @!#$ GM did with the j-cars in the mid 90s.. made it seem like they actually cared about them.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, November 03, 2011 7:12 PM
My hood is carbon. I just have always liked the look since the dsm that I had was black roofed.

I've really only seen the black roof on red, teal, and burgundy. Be cool if someone actually knew what fires came wit em'

Thursday, November 03, 2011 7:28 PM
I think the black roof is pretty cool and it kinda makes it look like the newer cars where the roof is a big sunroof..lol

Sunday, November 06, 2011 10:02 PM
Dave had one a while back... dunno if he still does or not. It's in his registry still though.

Monday, November 07, 2011 9:38 AM
Ryan Thompson wrote:Locally there is a guy with a white gt black roof / factory red cloth interior. For a j it's droolworthy.

the most awesome version of SFGT evar
Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:49 AM
so iv been toying with paint ideas and iv settled on painting silver with black roof but the hood just looks kind of plain if it doesnt have something added to it colorwise, and as discussed earlier i dont really wanna do the black eyelid hood so im thinking of doing some design or some sort of stripes and this is 1 of my better ideas..(i really need to get a copy of photoshop)

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:45 PM
i always thought it was a 95 only option? reason i saw that is because ive only seen 95's with the black roof.

and evan, ive seen a teal one with it here locally. ive seen a blue, teal, and red. all three had the quad 4 in em... so 95's.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:10 PM
The teal one was on the road, and I thought it'd be a little creeper of me to ask her to pull over so I can look under hood lol.. the red one in the yard though, had a 2.4 in it. That and the door sticker said it was an 1996 car.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:58 PM
it was a 95-96 thing from factory mosto common were reds and usually got the red interiors i say a tell one with a black roof with a teal interior but i have yet to see it again i think it was an out of towner car because in a small town something like that would bee seen again if it were around

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search