Hid Glare Shields - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hid Glare Shields
Friday, December 18, 2009 1:45 AM
If you don't know what they are well heres a few pics

i will be making these for my bulb for my 91 but has anyone one on here make them for there car? if so can you please post your pics...

Re: Hid Glare Shields
Friday, December 18, 2009 4:44 AM
I have made some for several applications, usually I start with a factory shield that I removed from a headlight I did a retrofit on, and adapt it to the car they are going in.

Friday, December 18, 2009 8:19 AM
some people dont even have these or anything but hid bulbs and blind me.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Friday, December 18, 2009 8:40 AM
dont look at the lights look at the road

its really only a prob for me if they are in trucks, and they still bearly catch my eyes

Friday, December 18, 2009 9:21 AM
where would u get those?

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:12 PM
Me, custom. And it fits the hot spots of the reflector, not just a generic shield.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, December 18, 2009 7:29 PM
So I could rock one of those on my car? or would the diffusor in the lense still scatter the light?

Friday, December 18, 2009 9:08 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:So I could rock one of those on my car? or would the diffusor in the lense still scatter the light?

if you have a refracting lens, these will be less functional than in a clear lens application (but still better than nothing.

Viper, although they look decent, you got them on upside down. The guard should go on the bottom, to keep some light from hitting the reflector on the bottom of the headlight, which bounces up then into the eyes of oncoming traffic. If you get some output pics, you will see that your cutoff will still be very high, and output to the ground will be diminished, then spin them 180* and see how they look, I think you will be happier with the output.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:34 AM
John Benham wrote:Viper, although they look decent, you got them on upside down. The guard should go on the bottom, to keep some light from hitting the reflector on the bottom of the headlight, which bounces up then into the eyes of oncoming traffic. If you get some output pics, you will see that your cutoff will still be very high, and output to the ground will be diminished, then spin them 180* and see how they look, I think you will be happier with the output.

I've done a lot of work on HID's for cavys and sunfires, being one of the pioneers for this platform since 2002 with John Piparo. We both have done things that have never been done, even 7 years later. So I'm going to say this as nicely and respectfully as I can, so don't take any offense to it.

In a perfect parabolic reflector world, yes, what you said is true. The thing is that the 9007 reflector in the cavy is not a perfect parabola and has areas created to "work" for both the high and low beams. After doing much research and testing, putting the shield in the top side of the reflector is what caused the biggest decrease in oncoming glare. This is the whole reason for me posting pictures # 2 and 3, where the camera was able to catch where the "hot spot" in the reflector was.

As an HID bulb lights up and the inside yellow salts turn to liquid and fall down towards gravity, this yellowing greatly degrades the nice "blue xenon hid" quality that many manufacturers were trying to portray from their expensive accessory packages. So one of the biggest reasons for having the shields was NOT to reduce glare, it was to block the yellow light produced. You can greatly decrease or move glare by changing the computerized design of the reflector; you don't need some cheap shield to do it. At the same time, it's much harder to hide yellow light that bounces all over the place with reflector aiming, than just mechanically blocking it completely.

In the world of D2R's (back in the day), they would design the reflector around the whiter light produced and aimed it where they wanted it to be, and used the shield to block out the yellow light that came through the bulb salts.

The ORIGINAL purpose of the shield is highly misunderstood today.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:30 AM
If that's the case............. then you're also being misleading by calling them "glare" shields.....

You proposed the idea for one purpose, then contradicted yourself by representing them as for a different use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:36 AM
Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:34 AM
Also......the ones you show in your original pictures are for H4 application, AND represented (as shown) when installed will have the shield on the bottom.......hmmmm!?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:37 AM

Sunday, December 20, 2009 1:19 PM
^ Not sure if you're talking to me, but if you are:

1) What I created were glare shields. What OEM's used were yellow-blocking shields. Yes, I have some yellow light in my output.

2) Not sure who "you" is since I'm not the original poster, but yes, the assumption from looking at the picture will be that they will be on the bottom. Now, to block out yellow light or to block out glare, I don't know. I can't vouch for aftermarket companies who create things thinking they know what they're doing. So they might be good for a specific purpose, they might not, I don't know.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 10:29 PM
Viper98912 wrote:^ Not sure if you're talking to me, but if you are:

1) What I created were glare shields. What OEM's used were yellow-blocking shields. Yes, I have some yellow light in my output.

2) Not sure who "you" is since I'm not the original poster, but yes, the assumption from looking at the picture will be that they will be on the bottom. Now, to block out yellow light or to block out glare, I don't know. I can't vouch for aftermarket companies who create things thinking they know what they're doing. So they might be good for a specific purpose, they might not, I don't know.

Do you have H4 bulbs in it kinda looks like them

Monday, December 21, 2009 2:39 AM
I was using D2S's with a custom mounting setup in the original reflector at the time

Monday, December 21, 2009 9:02 AM
Viper98912 wrote:I was using D2S's with a custom mounting setup in the original reflector at the time

could you show me the pics of the mounting ? i know the H4 and D2S have a flat beam thats why theres a glare shield

Monday, December 21, 2009 10:31 AM
nice

02 Cavalier Z24- Free CAI I made, magnaflow muffler
02 Trans am ws6 - Pace setter long tube headers, off road y-pipe,magnaflow exhaust, slp lid, bored polished throttle body, throttle body by pass, some other free mods, jegster lower control arms. best ET 12.7@112mph Heads/Cam in future
Monday, December 21, 2009 5:38 PM
very nice, but the projector nazis are about due to show up in this thread lol.

Monday, December 21, 2009 5:47 PM
Spencer wrote:very nice, but the projector nazis are about due to show up in this thread lol.

why hello there. How about some beam pics on a wall.

Projectors > *

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:29 PM
haha good stuff

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:02 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
John Benham wrote:Viper, although they look decent, you got them on upside down. The guard should go on the bottom, to keep some light from hitting the reflector on the bottom of the headlight, which bounces up then into the eyes of oncoming traffic. If you get some output pics, you will see that your cutoff will still be very high, and output to the ground will be diminished, then spin them 180* and see how they look, I think you will be happier with the output.

I've done a lot of work on HID's for cavys and sunfires, being one of the pioneers for this platform since 2002 with John Piparo. We both have done things that have never been done, even 7 years later. So I'm going to say this as nicely and respectfully as I can, so don't take any offense to it.

In a perfect parabolic reflector world, yes, what you said is true. The thing is that the 9007 reflector in the cavy is not a perfect parabola and has areas created to "work" for both the high and low beams. After doing much research and testing, putting the shield in the top side of the reflector is what caused the biggest decrease in oncoming glare. This is the whole reason for me posting pictures # 2 and 3, where the camera was able to catch where the "hot spot" in the reflector was.

As an HID bulb lights up and the inside yellow salts turn to liquid and fall down towards gravity, this yellowing greatly degrades the nice "blue xenon hid" quality that many manufacturers were trying to portray from their expensive accessory packages. So one of the biggest reasons for having the shields was NOT to reduce glare, it was to block the yellow light produced. You can greatly decrease or move glare by changing the computerized design of the reflector; you don't need some cheap shield to do it. At the same time, it's much harder to hide yellow light that bounces all over the place with reflector aiming, than just mechanically blocking it completely.

In the world of D2R's (back in the day), they would design the reflector around the whiter light produced and aimed it where they wanted it to be, and used the shield to block out the yellow light that came through the bulb salts.

The ORIGINAL purpose of the shield is highly misunderstood today.

I understand what you are saying, but would like to see some output pics to go along with it. I have never seen a successful glare shield mounted on the top of the bulb. Yes, what I said was in general terms, and I am aware of the difference between a generalization, and application specific devise, so please, grab some pics pointed at a wall, so I can take a look.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:25 PM
ya itd be easy to settle all this by just posting some output pics.... if ur right, everyone will applaud u im sure, if not... well, good luck sir

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:41 PM
Well i just ordered my hids i will be making some shields since the headlights i wanted where tomuch

i got 12,000k for my head lights yeah yeah i know the higher k the lower the light out put if i don't like them i'll order 4,500 because there white and i ordered 3,000k for my foglights

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:25 AM
Viper98912
Just curious if you still have a pair of these shields around or if you can still make them. I'd like to keep my hid's in my 02 stock housings. It is just way too much glare like you said. Also was wondering if you made your shields for the 9007 hid conversion bulb. Thanks, Travis
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search