Rubber Undercoating + sound Deading - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rubber Undercoating + sound Deading
Monday, August 16, 2010 4:30 AM
Anybody done this to the inside of their car? I have been thinking about doing it to quiet down the inside of the cavy...

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.

Re: Rubber Undercoating + sound Deading
Monday, August 16, 2010 10:07 AM
i have done it to my trunk area it does help a little. I am in the process of doing the entire interior of my other car that i have striped down.

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:58 AM
Awesome thanks for the response, yea im thinking about spraying under the carpet everywhere...

Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:13 PM
i've done my sunfire entirely inside went thru 3 cases of dynamat, did door panels, floor entire rear seat area, including sides and also headliner, and entire trunk, works very well much much quieter inside.
Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:26 AM
i used it on the outside of the car. the fenderwells and under the firewall etc. don't think its made for inside the car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:44 AM
What the worse that can happen from the inside, I got the inside of the car entirely stripped..

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:17 AM
you'll plug necessary drain holes. then you'll be back on here wondering ehy your car is constantly wet inside. and what to do about the over powering mild smell. I did this to a truck, but it had enough rust holes that it still drained. I probably would not recommend it for inside a car,

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:44 AM
My X did it to the inside of his 95 honda Civic... Stripped it down, pulled the carpet, everything... I don't really remember if it helped with anything tho, lol... he traded it in almost imediately after, lol. Pointless post, I know. haha.

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:25 PM
((Super))KbRedCavy wrote:What the worse that can happen from the inside, I got the inside of the car entirely stripped..

If its asphalt based itll stink like a freshly paved road as soon as your car sits in the sun for awhile. Undercoating goes on the outside and a nice non-asphalt based sound deadening for the inside. Look into Second Skin. Ive heard good things.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:06 PM
it's a pretty common practice in the off-roading world to put bedliner in the interior of vehicles. it can be done with relative ease too, and i've heard with carpet laid over it actually deadens quite a bit of sound. not bad since a DIY kit is pretty damn cheap.

if you do this, i recommend a product called Monstaliner. nothing but great things from the jeep community, and fairly inexpensive. it's what i'm using for the interior of my CJ.

Check out my build thread!

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:18 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
((Super))KbRedCavy wrote:What the worse that can happen from the inside, I got the inside of the car entirely stripped..

If its asphalt based itll stink like a freshly paved road as soon as your car sits in the sun for awhile. Undercoating goes on the outside and a nice non-asphalt based sound deadening for the inside. Look into Second Skin. Ive heard good things.

Yes the rubber undercoating would smell terrible especially in the sun, and is a pain just trying to get rid of the smell, because i used it on the underside of my Monte Carlo and took forever to get the smell out of just the garage alone.

And just curious... but wouldn't the "Second Skin" also plug up the necessary drain holes like the rubber coating would as stated above?

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:52 PM
silver03cavii wrote:

Yes the rubber undercoating would smell terrible especially in the sun, and is a pain just trying to get rid of the smell, because i used it on the underside of my Monte Carlo and took forever to get the smell out of just the garage alone.

And just curious... but wouldn't the "Second Skin" also plug up the necessary drain holes like the rubber coating would as stated above?

Second Skin is butyl based and its more of a sticky foil. You can cut holes in it in and shape it over whatever you want. Deadening the interior of a car is a very common practice in the car audio world.

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:00 PM
silver03cavii wrote:

Second Skin is butyl based and its more of a sticky foil. You can cut holes in it in and shape it over whatever you want. Deadening the interior of a car is a very common practice in the car audio world.

gotcha.. for some reason when i heard the name second skin.. i began to think of the spray type of sound deadner, and that was why i was confused lol

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:03 PM
He guys already done, i sprayed and left it open all night, the spell was gone, but the carpet back in and there was no smell, i did three coats pretty heavy deading the sound pretty good! i did a before and after for my roommates, hopefully they're aren't any adverse affects!

Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:07 PM
silver03cavii wrote:
silver03cavii wrote:

gotcha.. for some reason when i heard the name second skin.. i began to think of the spray type of sound deadner, and that was why i was confused lol

Second Skin makes some spray stuff I believe.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:26 AM
please tell me you used some sort of aerosol undercoating from some parts store

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:48 AM
I did my entire car several year ago using this stuff called brown bread.

Its supposedly better than dynamat and a @!#$load cheaper too...

I just checked the site & it looks like they stopped making brownbread- now its B-quiet ultimate, but its still alot cheaper than dynamat.
If you check the ride side of the page, you can read a car audio company review & comparison of the 2.

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:25 PM
just think all the hard core import guys spend days scraping off all that black tar stuff to save weight and we want to cover the car with it lol.
Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:45 PM
Did the inside of my car also this weekend since I LOVE getting flammed I'll describe my sub $50 method:

First I stripped the whole ting down ripped out everything including the carpet seats we are talking floors and doors.
Next a little cleaning and using some heavy duty DUCK TAPE I covered the doors (I had already made patch panels out of tin for the holes and have two speakers in each door)
doing a nice 50% overlap on everything and doubled up around the speakers. On the floors I left that patch of tar on the floor that you placeyour feet on and started scraping the nasty looking tar s#it all over the panels and seams. Not totally removing it just knocking it down to near flat. For the Trunk which is the main area neededing deadn'ing I used some of the factory sound deadning material and cut parts to fit the trunk floor and stuffed as much of it I could in the Trunk lid as I could. Duck taped the entire trunk over good! For the rest of the areas that needed extra layers I just laid on the duck tape and make sure you use some kind of roller to roll the duck tape in the cracks and forms the surface nice (kinda of)

Step two is about 6 cans of rubber coating (the kind that is used for wheel wells and under your car)
I did two coats on each door and three in the trunk and one nice heavy coat on the floors.

Weight is minimal: one can is like a 1 lbs. and duck tape is about the same per roll
so about 8-10 lbs total, but if you did it like I did and removed the carpet and extra tar + planels+ rear seat+ etc
You should shave off about 30-25lbs.

I'll post pics monday-tuesday

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:57 PM
David Diaz wrote:Did the inside of my car also this weekend since I LOVE getting flammed I'll describe my sub $50 method:

First I stripped the whole ting down ripped out everything including the carpet seats we are talking floors and doors.
Next a little cleaning and using some heavy duty DUCK TAPE I covered the doors (I had already made patch panels out of tin for the holes and have two speakers in each door)
doing a nice 50% overlap on everything and doubled up around the speakers. On the floors I left that patch of tar on the floor that you placeyour feet on and started scraping the nasty looking tar s#it all over the panels and seams. Not totally removing it just knocking it down to near flat. For the Trunk which is the main area neededing deadn'ing I used some of the factory sound deadning material and cut parts to fit the trunk floor and stuffed as much of it I could in the Trunk lid as I could. Duck taped the entire trunk over good! For the rest of the areas that needed extra layers I just laid on the duck tape and make sure you use some kind of roller to roll the duck tape in the cracks and forms the surface nice (kinda of)

Step two is about 6 cans of rubber coating (the kind that is used for wheel wells and under your car)
I did two coats on each door and three in the trunk and one nice heavy coat on the floors.

Weight is minimal: one can is like a 1 lbs. and duck tape is about the same per roll
so about 8-10 lbs total, but if you did it like I did and removed the carpet and extra tar + planels+ rear seat+ etc

So wait.... i don't know if its just me that's confused.. So you are saying you don't have carpet or panels?

Monday, August 23, 2010 12:30 PM
Oh Crap its Mr. Diaz!!! Whats up buddy you been gone for a while?

8 - 10 coats!??!!? thats extreme isn't it?

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:36 PM
David Diaz wrote:Did the inside of my car also this weekend since I LOVE getting flammed I'll describe my sub $50 method:

push your car off a cliff.

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:43 PM
silver03cavii wrote:

So wait.... i don't know if its just me that's confused.. So you are saying you don't have carpet or panels?

Nobody likes carpet, shaved is in. As for the door panels, hes probably going to make some very lightweight, plain, flat, no curves, not even painted, fiberglass ones, you know, to match his bodykit.
Monday, August 23, 2010 5:54 PM
well if they're like his body kit, they'll be lumpy, uneven, and caked in a mixture of fiberglass and bondo

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:52 PM
((Super))KbRedCavy wrote:Oh Crap its Mr. Diaz!!! Whats up buddy you been gone for a while?

8 - 10 coats!??!!? thats extreme isn't it?

not really extreme, i used a can on each wheel well myself. but i did it on the outside of the car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search