Why mod a 2.2OHV? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Why mod a 2.2OHV?
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:17 PM on j-body.org
falnfenix wrote:jesus...people around here act like a conversation can't take a reasonable progression...

falnfenix wrote:leet ricerboy...

I just dont understand why you would mod such a low end motor..its basically a money pit..in the end with all your mods you might be able to beat a stock ecotec or 2.4 ..but wow..not to be off topic but lets use an analogy shall we?
..Say you have two people who are about to footrace..well your knees arent the best and you know they will slow you down..so is it really worth it just to get surgery on your legs just to be able to keep up with the regular person?

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:38 PM on j-body.org
People have different cars for different reasons. I drive a 95 auto sedan.... I don't do much to the car cause I'm not using it as any sort of racecar, its a great car from getting from point A to point B. That is why you don't see as many parts for 95 engines than you see for 2.4's or ecotecs. Cavaliers and other cars weren't really built for racing, but people like racing. That is why you see engine mods and other things for horsepower. It is alot cheaper buying a turbo for a 95 then it is buying a new cavalier with an eco in it, it may be as fast as an eco then, but it is way cheaper then getting a new one. I love my car, it may not be fast but hey, it gets me places and it is alot faster then walking.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:39 PM on j-body.org
You know what, I was gonna write up something on this, but I said @!#$ it.

Just wait till I have my motor done and running in this next month, then you will see what a fully built 2.2 can run

I could care less if you think it's a money pit. If you did the same amount of work to your motor and beat me, only thing I would have to do is bump up the boost or buy a bigger turbo. After a certain point it's only about who wants to push it further, just b/c I start off 40hp less doesn't mean anything. It was built as an economy motor, not as a performance motor. 2.4/Eco has 9.0+:1 CR and bigger cams, while the 2.2 has 8.0:1 CR and has a very weak cam. Pretty sure if you just did an upgrade in CR and cam and tuned the ECU the 2.2 would maybe only be 10hp off, if that.

Oh yeah, most of the 2.2 parts are MUCH cheaper than the 2.4/ECO parts so

Well, it looks like I did write a bit, oh well, I proved my point

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:57 PM on j-body.org
When I bought my cav, I bought it because it was a decent looking car I could afford and it was easy on gas. I had no clue that there was a different engine in the different platform levels. I also didn't care. I just needed something to get me to and from work.

Since I'm poor white foke, so I did some digging on the net looking for various preventive mantance things I could do myself. That was when i found a different Cavalier board (gone now) and started to learn about the various mods you could do.

Simple fact of the mater is most people didn't buy a 2.2 ovh with mod'ing in mind. They just stumbled accross some aftermarket stuff. One thing led to another, and here they are... selling blood to save up for that P&P job

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:45 PM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:I just dont understand why you would mod such a low end motor..its basically a money pit.

hate to break it to you, but ANY modified car is a money pit. once you start internal work, you can expect to continue dumping money into it till you sell it...but that's the hit that we take when working on cars.

grrquack.
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:23 PM on j-body.org
sigh....the 2.2ohv would have just as much potential as any other motor if you made a head from scratch in a machine shop, and made a custom cam(you'd have to move the valves over, and because of that, fabricate the cam to accept the changes..

Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:34 AM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:I just dont understand why you would mod such a low end motor..its basically a money pit..in the end with all your mods you might be able to beat a stock ecotec or 2.4 ..but wow..not to be off topic but lets use an analogy shall we?
..Say you have two people who are about to footrace..well your knees arent the best and you know they will slow you down..so is it really worth it just to get surgery on your legs just to be able to keep up with the regular person?

(sigh)Don't you people understand that we ALL(yourself included) have LOW END motors ?! The 2.2 isn't really that far below a ecotec, nor is the ecotec far below the 2.4(and btw it is stock). Plus you don't really have to put that much into it to make it faster than a eco or 2.4. It seems to be a common misconception that it'll take $10,000 or something, and it really won't. There is catching up to do, but not that much. While my "project" may have been halted for a while(lack of funds - courtesy of a female ), even in it's current form I can take stock 2.4s and ecotecs without much trouble. Yeah it's nothing too special, and it's certainly no speed-demon, but it's not nearly as "low end" (vs a 2.4 or eco anyways) as most seem to think. REALITY CHECK - WE ARE ALL REALLY SLOW STOCK AND EVERYONE ELSE LAUGHS AT US FOR THIS VERY REASON. Unless you're talking about some nice boosted(My future once I get my money in order) or N2O setups, or if you're name is Karo, we're all competing for -
1. the best of the worst
2. top of the bottom
3. the cream of the crap
Yeah we can brag about beating some honda or someting - WOW isn't that something to brag about?! LOL. Honestly it isn't even something to brag about beating another J-body, because you're still bragging about being a little less slow than another slow-ass car.

Do you have any idea how many people think it's a waste of time to modify ANY engine with any less than 8 cylinders? Some 8 cylinders get called a waste of time as well(like the GM 305 instead of at least having a 350 of some sort). For anything that you can say, any point you can make, for why it's a waste to modify my engine instead of a eco or 2.4 - someone else can use the exact same points - as to why modifying your engine/car, instead of a LS1 etc, is a waste.

Bottom line is this - "If" it is a waste of time, money, and labor(mine and my friends) - to modify my engine, then it's no less of a waste to modify yours or any other j-body engine. Period.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, April 21, 2005 10:17 AM on j-body.org
for all the guy modding their 2.4's and eco's why do you waste all that money put tons of money into it and its still going to get ate by a basica v8. you guys are so stupid to throw money into 4 cylinder engines.

how many of you would attack that responce? modding a 2.4 or eco or 2.2 it doesnt matter.

you can bash the 2.2 because your engine is a bit bigger, so then take your advice and dump your engines as well because there will always be something bigger. the 2.4 and eco isnt the best engine in the world so get over it. u mod a 2.4, they mod a 2.2. why does it really matter what they spend their money on. any money u put into a car is purely wasted except for the joy you get out of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, April 22, 2005 7:21 AM on j-body.org
give me a week and i will be beating down the 3.12.8,2.4, quad 2.3, 2.2, 2200, and the 2.0
all with my little 2200 after the supcharger finished,,, the only problem is like in a week the car will prolly be dead after the head gasket goes or something worse
lololololol

2000 Dark metallica green cavalier. (2.2 2200) pace setter 4-1 header, magna flow cat, dual quad tip dtm muffler, 1800 watt stereo with satalite radio, momo 16in rims, from rk sport strut bar, rear vibrant strut bar, indeglow gauge cluster along with matching hvac panel, clear corner lenses, altezz tails, vibrant wai, carbon fiber oem style hood, rsm lightened crank pulley, MSD Ignition coil packs, RSM Vortech Supercharger 8psi

"Disarters are just another star falling in my yard."
Friday, April 22, 2005 8:03 AM on j-body.org
sinrocker wrote:give me a week and i will be beating down the 3.12.8,2.4, quad 2.3, 2.2, 2200, and the 2.0
all with my little 2200 after the supcharger finished,,, the only problem is like in a week the car will prolly be dead after the head gasket goes or something worse
lololololol

eh, hate to break it to you but putting the blower on a 2.2 isn't going to produce A LOT of power. It might help you run with some 2.4 and eco guys but you are not going to blow the doors off of them.

Have a good one,
Justin

Friday, April 22, 2005 10:27 AM on j-body.org
dude he has euro lights and a carbon fiber hood..are you kidding

Friday, April 22, 2005 10:53 AM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:dude he has euro lights and a carbon fiber hood..are you kidding

So? Some cars look pretty decent with euros. Same thing goes with carbon fiber hoods. He wasn't saying that with his euros and c/f hood he gained upteen amounts of horsepower.

Back on topic, I enjoyed working on my 2.2. It was pretty reliable when I worked on it. The only two major problems I had to deal with is replacing the head gasket and the transmission when it crapped out on me.

I personally felt proud taking it from a stock 18 second automatic to a 15 second one naturally aspirated.

Have a good one,
Justin

Saturday, April 23, 2005 8:04 PM on j-body.org
Justin Cox wrote:
sinrocker wrote:give me a week and i will be beating down the 3.12.8,2.4, quad 2.3, 2.2, 2200, and the 2.0
lololololol

eh, hate to break it to you but putting the blower on a 2.2 isn't going to produce A LOT of power. It might help you run with some 2.4 and eco guys but you are not going to blow the doors off of them.

Have a good one,
Justin

Yeah he's right, should have got a turbocharger. Then you would definitely blow the doors off of them. However, as to Justin Cox - After that supercharger, I'd bet the difference of his speed vs a 2.4 or eco would be at least as much(probably more) as the difference between the average 2.4 or eco vs the 2.2. He's not going to run "with" them, he's gonna be running ahead of them(unless they've got boost or N2O of their own - of course). See it's funny how some people only think there's a big difference in speed when they're the one who's faster. When someone else is faster, all of a sudden the difference isn't really that great. Kinda like any heated arguement - It(the subject you're arguing over) sure seems pretty important at the time -enough for both parties to get bent out of shape over, then if/when anyone gets proven wrong - whatever, it's not that important, so what - etc. Definitely funny.

That aside, the main advantage the 2.4 and Ecotec both have over the 2.2 is they both have a better flowing head than the 2.2. Now with forced induction(because air is compressed), the difference really begins to disappear(although not entirely).

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:54 PM on j-body.org
I love my car -- that's my reason, She's been a part of my family, in a manner of speaking, for 10 years next month... I know it sounds corny, but I'm kinda sentimental about the whole thing actually -- can't ya tell? LOL I think that a lot of American's feel the same way that I do about their first cars -- heck, maybe most people do...

I ordered my 95 Sunfire SE 2.2 in November of 1994 (there WAS no GT available then, btw...). I had to wait through a worker strike, and numerous bad paint issues (aqua, purple, and black) on the assembly line, but I finally got my red one the first week of May in 1995: the 1st manual transmission off of my dealership's lot! I was very proud of that fact. She ran great and has been the BEST car that I have owned -- bar none.

I didn't really start any true mods until about 2 years ago or so, tho. And I don't want a new car or a different car with a different engine. My wife asks me the same questions that I hear in this thread that all start with "why"? So what? It's my daily driver, has been reliable, and will continue to be reliable with a little TLC (and upgrades to replace old or any failing parts)...

I do it 'cause I enjoy it and it makes sense for me. Period.

And I agree with Bastardking3000 and Justin Cox...

Btw, part of Justin's Cavi will make it into my Sunfire one of these days. That 95 Cavi engine is slated to be P&P, overbored, and boosted one day!

Thanks for listening... This has been very therapeutic. LOL

L8r...

*** Need some 1995 Cavalier parts ???
*** FOR SALE: doors, windows, interior, engine parts, fenders, etc. -- email me
Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:14 PM on j-body.org
man in the world of the fast and the furious you must have a 13 second car to be fast.

now in reality, my 2.2 cavalier with the 5 speed ran high 15's which was enough for me to kick the crap out of most cars on the highway, between stop lights and enough fun for me to enjoy driving

96 2.2 5speed
**SOLD**
Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:23 PM on j-body.org
..i thought it was 10 second?

Sunday, April 24, 2005 5:54 PM on j-body.org
Has no one talked about Scrufdogs 2.2 yet?
Now I dont know the exacts on his car but that thing was smoking 2.4s years ago.
He was way ahead of the game.

I am all that is man

Monday, April 25, 2005 8:38 AM on j-body.org
Or adlers 2.2

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:09 AM on j-body.org
I think Scruf's best time on a 60 shot was a 13.92@ like 100 or so.. doomie was one bad little B1tch tho...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:34 PM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:dude he has euro lights and a carbon fiber hood..are you kidding

what's that got to do with the power a car has, or the point of this post? that's directly reflecting a person's STYLE. just because you don't like it, doesn't mean he can't.

-ESB- wrote:Has no one talked about Scrufdogs 2.2 yet?
Now I dont know the exacts on his car but that thing was smoking 2.4s years ago.
He was way ahead of the game.

a lot of people have forgotten who he is, or what he was able to do with Doomie, since he stopped posting. he's like any "celebrity" - his popularity has faded over time, as more and more new folks have popped up on here(that's pretty much verbatim from him).

EastCoastBeast II wrote:I think Scruf's best time on a 60 shot was a 13.92@ like 100 or so.. doomie was one bad little B1tch tho...

she still is, just sans bottle but, for the sake of conversation, here's the numbers:
"Best run of this beast is 13.92 seconds @ 97.4 mph in the 1/4 mile" taken from his profile, found here

grrquack.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:38 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote: you guys are so stupid to throw money into 4 cylinder engines.

people told me i was stupid for putting a celica motor into a starlet, because it would cost too much money and it wouldn't be "that fast." i never got to run it before some random guy bought it from me for a buttload more than i paid for it. why the hell not?

grrquack.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:16 PM on j-body.org
Why mod a 2.4 or ECO? I have a 2200 and I definatly see how idiotic your statement was.

Picture this. I just recently spent $800 on a 90 probe GT. After putting about a hundred dollars to get it running right I bought a boost controler for $20 and turned up the boost to 12 psi. That is on a car that runs about 145 HP and 190 ft-lbs. This summer I will buy an $80 chip and a boost gauge, then I will turn up the boost to 16 psi. And I will then be able to beat 90% of the modified 2.4's and eco's. Even stock this probe would beat any stock eco or Z24. So if you tally up the money, your question is completely ignorant.

Your 2.4 or eco may be faster than my 2200, but you wont even come close to my rusted out Probe. And I spent thousands less on the probe than you did on your car.
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:38 AM on j-body.org
The 2200 is probably the strongest motor out of the cavalier engines so far. (the ecotec is pretty close if not tied). My friends Z has had the worst track record i,ve ever seen....Things are braking on that motor all the time. When turboed with the 3spd transmission though it is considered one of the best combo for boosted set up from what i heard from many people. (more on realiablility then power gains) Personally my cavi is all show no go.

But this is just what i heard after doing some research when i thought my cavi could be fast. (then i bought a Talon TSI)
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:33 AM on j-body.org
id want to mod my 2.2 OHV for the same reason i orginally bought a cavalier...

when i first got my cavalier, not to many people modded them, my friends were like your gonna do waht to cavalier? lol

but times change, its all about an underdog thing, which is probably why im gonna buy an ION redline as my next car....to be the underdog

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:02 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Why mod a 2.2OHV?

Its a personality thing.

Some people modify their cars for the sake of making it faster than other cars. Its either because A: they have insecurity issues with themselves (very few of them i hope). Or the more popular B: they are passionate about the sport of auto racing.
These people usually do engine swaps to get the most out of their money.

And other people modify their cars for the sake of making it faster than it previously was. Its their hobby. To most of these people (i said most) keeping their original engine is more satisfying. Say i swapped to an eco, modded it, and made 500hp with it. I would still be more satisfied if looked under my hood after that 500hp dyno run, and an ohv was sittin there.

get it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search