Military options - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Military options
Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:29 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

It's part of what makes us as good as we are, you won't find that in the Army, Navy and especially the Air Force.

what's that mean?

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:46 PM on j-body.org
From what I've seen the Air Force isn't as close-knit as the Marine Corps. I'm not saying you guys can't do your job, you're excellent at what you do, you're just not looking out for each other like we do in the Marine Corps. Maybe it's just the Air Force personnel I've seen, and not a reflection of the Air Force as a whole, but that's just in my experience with them.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Friday, June 03, 2005 5:59 AM on j-body.org
Me too, also as far as brance of servace pride goes. next time your driving around, look and see how many stickers you see for the army, Navy, air force, and Marine corps.

chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:32 PM on j-body.org
Brainwashed does not equal better
Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:45 AM on j-body.org
^^ nice lol

2nd place is the 1st loser
Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:50 AM on j-body.org
well, we get it done. so in the end its all that matters. ( thay did send us back over there when another branch couldent handle it.)

but geting back to the topic at hand; look at all your difrent chioces, were do you want to go in the long run? why do you want to join?

chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Saturday, June 04, 2005 4:30 PM on j-body.org
I really would like to go into the navy to be honest. I think its just that recruiter really sold for the whole marine thing and thats his job for him to try and get me to join that branch. I want to go cuzz I really don't want to go to college for another 4 yrs when I just got done with high school. I never really liked school I mean ya the best part was friends and some good teachers here and there but I really would like to "take a break" start earning money for college and start making a career for myself.

Sunday, June 05, 2005 12:07 AM on j-body.org
I think it was the people you met in the AF Saint. I've always had a good comradere with the people I worked with. Officers and Enlisted. But I think that all depends on who the people you work with and meet are.

Trevor: Like most people have said before. Do what you think is right. In my experience, the Navy and AF are the most technical branches of the the military. The Army and Marines seem to be more "physically" oriented. But this is my opinion.

Go Ugly, EARLY!

The ONLY real Close Air Support!
Sunday, June 05, 2005 3:58 PM on j-body.org
WEEZL wrote:I think it was the people you met in the AF Saint. I've always had a good comradere with the people I worked with. Officers and Enlisted. But I think that all depends on who the people you work with and meet are.

Trevor: Like most people have said before. Do what you think is right. In my experience, the Navy and AF are the most technical branches of the the military. The Army and Marines seem to be more "physically" oriented. But this is my opinion.

No one has ever said that before and it really sounds right I mean with the Navy and AF having some of the most technology advances out there right now. I have always wanted Navy and thats what I am really leaning towards. Thank you

Sunday, June 05, 2005 6:32 PM on j-body.org
WEEZL is absolutely right, the Marine Corps and the Army are physically biased, and it's because of the nature of our mission. We are the Ground Side of any war and have to be able to move, we have to be strong and tough, because we're the ones doing the fighting, and it's even more like that in the Marine Corps. It doesn't matter what your MOS is in the Marine Corps, you're expected to have a basic knowledge of how to fight an amphibious war.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Sunday, June 05, 2005 6:57 PM on j-body.org
So is anyone here in the Navy. Just was going to see if I could get some personal view on it.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:13 AM on j-body.org
So can I just drop in on a recruiter I mean I was thinking of going and talking to the navy guy and just showing up and talking.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:03 AM on j-body.org
I can comment on the Navy concerning submarines. It's differen't on surface ships. Subs are such a small community that everyone knows everyone else. You really can talk to the officers just like everyone else (as long as its not disrespectful and sometimes you can even get away with that). E-1 to E-6 aren't treated much differently (everyone has to work). In the surface fleet after someone becomes E-4 or E-5 they usually supervise the lower ranks.

Also, when we made a port call, the town didn't really change. It's not the same when a carrier battlegroup pull in. When they make a port call, it dumps 10,000 squids on a town at once. They know everyone has been at sea for awhile, so the prices go up to gouge the sailors.

Subs do work on an 18 hour day when underway. 6 hours on watch, 6 hours maintenance or other collateral duties, 6 hours of sleep then it starts over again. One day you wake up to eat supper the next time you wake up it's lunch time then the next you're eating breakfast. When you look at your watch and see it's 8:00 sometimes you have to think about what meal you just ate to know wether it's 8am or 8pm.

I was involved in a technical rating and it was very easy for me to land a good paying job when I got out after 9 years. I've never regretted joining the navy though sometimes I wish I hadn't stayed in so long.

Oh, The food on subs is much better than on the surface ships.
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:26 AM on j-body.org
^^Kool. The more and more I think about it I really want the navy.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 11:41 AM on j-body.org
You can always just drop in on any recruiter, they actually prefer those then the ones that they have to call up and chase after.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 1:08 PM on j-body.org
^^ I just went in their. Talked to the guy he was really kool. I am going to go take the ASVAB tonight (1630-2100 hours) I need to pass that first before I do anything else. Anyone know what the navy requires I guess I can just go to the web site.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 2:23 PM on j-body.org
good luck
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 2:24 PM on j-body.org
KevinP (The IOU One IDB) wrote:
Quote:

It's part of what makes us as good as we are, you won't find that in the Army, Navy and especially the Air Force.

what's that mean?

man you took that right out of context, original quote

saint wrote:
The Marine Corps is gonna be the hardest Boot Camp, but we're the closest group. I would do anything for a Marine, it doesn't matter if he's in my Unit or from North Carolina if he's in trouble I'll do everything in my power to keep it from going past me, and you see that throughout the Marine Corps. It's part of what makes us as good as we are, you won't find that in the Army, Navy and especially the Air Force.

i know what he is talking aboot, and you will see it in the Army but not as well, if that's the best word, as in the Marines. you can see that any weekend at myrtle beach in the summer, it is usually pretty easy to pick out the Marines because they usually wear their tags all the time whereas the army boys will take them off. nothing really big when someone else sees it but that is that little extra bit of pride that the Marines instill into their soldiers, and it counts.

as far as the comraderie goes it is there in the Army too but not to the same level. I would help any soldier to a certain extent, but the ones i worked with day in a day out would get much more out of me if needed, and ANY one of my soldiers regardless of how they performed or what i thought of them would get the most. you might be my best friend but my responsibility lies to my soldiers first, barring actual life or death.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 4:14 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:
KevinP (The IOU One IDB) wrote:
Quote:

but that is that little extra bit of pride that the Marines instill into their soldiers

And we're also very sensitive to being called soldiers, we earned the title Marine and demand to be calld Marines

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:49 PM on j-body.org
Fair enough

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:23 PM on j-body.org
OK well I f'd up on the test tonight I need a 35 and made a freakin 28. That is the second time I have taken it and I did better this time. So now I have to wait 30 days I think? Then if I dont do good enough this next time I have to wait 6 months? I know I need to study can I go to like barns and noble and get study books. This girl had a ASVAB for dummies book. Just lookin for some advice. Thanx

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 6:28 AM on j-body.org
well said saint

chris

Sunday, June 12, 2005 6:31 PM on j-body.org
Does anyone know what I have to make on the ACT to join the Navy. I know I have to have a score of 35 on the ASVAB and was thinking it was maybe a 18.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:18 PM on j-body.org
You still need the 35 on the ASVAB, no matter what you got on the ACT, when I enlisted my recruiter never asked anything about the SAT or ACT.

Monday, June 13, 2005 10:18 AM on j-body.org
^^ Ya knew I still had to have the ASVAB but I thought I had to have a decent score on my ACT?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search