What to do with New Orleans? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What to do with New Orleans?
Monday, October 03, 2005 12:32 PM on j-body.org
^^^Kinda...

I've found that in cases, the simplest--rather the most primitive solutions are actually better.

After all, a wood-and-straw house on stilts may be toppled over very easily by a hurricane, butalso, how easy is it to reuild? Think about how many time in human history have people had to face cat-5 hurricanes, and how, now, it's really that big of an issue.

The probelm with humans is that we try to control nature, rather than work with it. Instead of building the homes off of the delta, which floods every year, and in any flood-prone areas, or building a house on stilts, we channel the river so that the sediment is not deposited to flood proof the area, and then we find the delta being washed away, so we build leevees to protect from that. Thinking that we've nature-proofed the situation, nature comes back with a "what did the 5 fingers say to the face" and BAM! we see the err of our ways.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:27 AM on j-body.org
Sometimes it takes that.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:41 AM on j-body.org
IMHO it needs to happen more often. She should be leaving a big "UNITY" stamp in humanity's forehead....

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, October 10, 2005 12:25 PM on j-body.org
I came across the following article. It's kind of long but the information is pretty good:

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002549363_katdebris09.html

I still think the people that lived there are thinking with their heart and not their head. Why would anyone want to live below sea level? It's hard to believe that we have to landfill all this stuff! Do you would think they could recycle some of the materials?

Monday, October 10, 2005 12:29 PM on j-body.org
Monday, October 10, 2005 1:40 PM on j-body.org
^^^ Ask the people that live in the Netherlands...

It can work, but you have to keep up with the Maintenance of the dykes.

Monday, October 10, 2005 5:04 PM on j-body.org
Too much money, burn it to the ground bullboze it flat and let the river take it back.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:05 AM on j-body.org
I feel NO pain for these people. Why the hell would anybody build a home 20 feet below sea level and not expect something of this magnitude? I have been down in the delta of the Mississippi several times to go fishing (which sadly I probably will not get to do anymore) and was simply amazed at the levee system. Frankly, I say leave it be.

So, yea, let the rebuild New Orleans. Billions later, another storm comes thru and has the same affect. Granted this could be next year or 20 years or never. But there is always the possibility it could happen. With the way the storm seasons are going, I don't think I would try my luck.

Yes, I am cruel, yes flame me...I simply don't care. Once again, mans stupidity shines.

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:12 AM on j-body.org
Whore wrote:I feel NO pain for these people. Why the hell would anybody build a home 20 feet below sea level and not expect something of this magnitude? I have been down in the delta of the Mississippi several times to go fishing (which sadly I probably will not get to do anymore) and was simply amazed at the levee system. Frankly, I say leave it be.

So, yea, let the rebuild New Orleans. Billions later, another storm comes thru and has the same affect. Granted this could be next year or 20 years or never. But there is always the possibility it could happen. With the way the storm seasons are going, I don't think I would try my luck.

Yes, I am cruel, yes flame me...I simply don't care. Once again, mans stupidity shines.

I understand where you are coming from but granted, New Orleans wasn't built yesterday or 10 years ago...it's been around for a LONG time. Blaming the people now for constructing it this way, yes was dumb. Blame should go torwards the local government for not fixing the problem when scientists and ecologists were saying "If a Level 4 or higher hurricane hits this will happen...".

Also, if I'm correct, I believe this has happened once before where the levee system went back in the 60s or 70s I believe but it wasn't at this magnetude.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:26 AM on j-body.org
Exactly, that is my point, why spend billions of dollars to rebuild this place when you know the possibility of this happening again is high in the scheme of things. Let's just move Mardi Gra and be done with it.

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:30 AM on j-body.org
Whore wrote:Exactly, that is my point, why spend billions of dollars to rebuild this place when you know the possibility of this happening again is high in the scheme of things. Let's just move Mardi Gra and be done with it.

I've always said this...America has too much pride to just give up on something. Now also, you're talking about a city, not a town, of people. Where would they live? I mean, not everyone's houses were destroyed and people had insurance. I mean, it's hard to just relacate people and just close down a city as well. Also, New Orleans has too much history and pride to just let it go...

Ultimately, Bush likes to throw around money and look good for the time being, so that's why it's being re-built.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 7:26 AM on j-body.org
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:
Whore wrote:Exactly, that is my point, why spend billions of dollars to rebuild this place when you know the possibility of this happening again is high in the scheme of things. Let's just move Mardi Gra and be done with it.

I've always said this...America has too much pride to just give up on something. Now also, you're talking about a city, not a town, of people. Where would they live? I mean, not everyone's houses were destroyed and people had insurance. I mean, it's hard to just relacate people and just close down a city as well. Also, New Orleans has too much history and pride to just let it go...

Ultimately, Bush likes to throw around money and look good for the time being, so that's why it's being re-built.

Very good points. The US has always had trouble in cases of pride. I believe New Orleans was built by the French? Shouldn't that have told us something.....?

How long is it going to take to get the insurance money though? There are people here in Florida that still have blue tarps for a roof. Some being lack of contractors, others being insurance is slow.

As for relocating, they have already pretty much done this. Instead of wasting the billions to rebuild, use it to relocate.

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:02 AM on j-body.org
I still don't see why they can't move the rebuilding of the city, say a couple of miles inland--especially after near-total devistation...

It's kinda like a similar thing in Seattle. The viaduct built some 40 years ago along the waterfront here nearly failed in the Nisqually quake, and there are 2 options: Spend $4 billion, and rebuild it as a tunnel, or attempt to rebuild the viaduct, which some claim can be done as cheaply as $200 million, but most likely, when they consider the seawall as well, will run about 2.5 billion.

Keep in mind, a properly done tunnel will resist earthquakes quite well and not be prone to collapse if the seawall fails.

My point, you pay now or you pay dearly later. If the voters turn down the gas tax increase to pay of this, and another niqsually-level-or-greater quake hits, i shudder to think of the life lost when the thing does come down, but deep down, in that scenario, who's to blame? We, the populace is to blame.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:08 PM on j-body.org
They could just finish flooding it and call it a artifical reef? There weould be some drunk fish probably!

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:45 PM on j-body.org
I think they should just hold off on the possible rebuilding of it all. Theres still more months of hurricane season left as mentioned earlier and whose to say there wont be anymore going that way? I was in the beginning of Katrina before it hit gulf shores and orange beach, but we were smart and listened to the mandatory evacuations. I must say as cold hearted as this seems, I dont feel for those in NO. They knew it was coming, they knew they had to evacuate and wether you had a car or not, there were still ways to possible get out if you just thought about it. I dunno, maybe I'm in the wrong maybe not. But I feel for the people who live in other states that the states have given the hurricane victims places to live and stuff. I heard on the radio here in Indy, a lady called in, and was talking about how she was a single mother, working day in and day to provide for her children but still wasnt making enough to take care of everything. She had applied for section 8 housing and food stamps and has been waiting for housing for 4 years...but when the hurricane happened, the people who deal with all that, gave the open housing and food stamps to families of the hurricane who reside in indy now , and her argument was, that she was a hoosier, has been all her life and here we are helping them before we help our own and to me that's just wrong. I'm sure I'll get alot of horrible comments from people bc of my opinions and what not, but I jus tthink they need to either hold off on rebuilding, or let the rivers and what not take their course back to how it was so many many years ago. Its pointless to spend billions of dollars on rebuilds, if its only going to happen again and with as many hurricanes that we are h aving, whose to say it wont. But hey those are only my opinions, take em' or leave em'.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:55 PM on j-body.org
^^^ could you shoehorn a bit of whitespace into your posts next time?

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:32 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:^^^ could you shoehorn a bit of whitespace into your posts next time?

I agree with GAM for once! I gave up reading along the second line or so....

You know, they could flood New Orleans and just call it the "New Orleans AR".

It would make a nice artifical reef! Can you imagine all those drunken fish?!

Josh
SLK 32

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:56 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

I understand where you are coming from but granted, New Orleans wasn't built yesterday or 10 years ago...it's been around for a LONG time. Blaming the people now for constructing it this way, yes was dumb. Blame should go torwards the local government for not fixing the problem when scientists and ecologists were saying "If a Level 4 or higher hurricane hits this will happen...".

There is alot to be said about learning from one's mistakes.... HELLO !!! its below the damn sea level, it really should have never been there in the first place... why spend tons of money to put it back???

Pride.... how proud of yourself or your country can you really be if you can't even realize that there is a definite line between pride and stupidity?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:59 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

^^^ could you shoehorn a bit of whitespace into your posts next time?

I think it looks a little more beige.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:14 PM on j-body.org
Holy double post batman.

oO

Oh well, slap me..

Josh
SLK 32

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:11 PM on j-body.org
im with sunfire N2o we should sell it to the french they will brag about owning a part of america. they can't conquer so they buy. lol

Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:32 AM on j-body.org
Believe it or not, my post is relivent.....

Did anybody watch the new southpark today?

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:44 AM on j-body.org
Personally, I think NO should be the new Venice. We could have crazy romantic french guys in striped shirts singing, while pushing an obnoxious boat along with a stick as a couple makes out right in front of him.

Seriously, what do you think?

Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:06 PM on j-body.org
RandomGuy 171 wrote:Personally, I think NO should be the new Venice. We could have crazy romantic french guys in striped shirts singing, while pushing an obnoxious boat along with a stick as a couple makes out right in front of him.

Seriously, what do you think?

SCORE!!!

-Chris

Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:31 PM on j-body.org
The place will already stink to high heaven, so the French are a natural.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search