Political inspirations - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Political inspirations
Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:13 PM on j-body.org
The point of the post is easy...

Quote something that has shaped your ideas in general, and give a year if you can...

Dwight D. Eisenhower wrote:
America's leadership and prestige depend, not merely upon our unmatched material progress, riches and military strength, but on how we use our power in the interests of world peace and human betterment.

Jan. 17, 1961

Pierre Elliott Trudeau wrote:The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.
Quote:

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Political inspirations
Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:22 PM on j-body.org
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
-Thomas Jefferson

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
-Thomas Jefferson, proposal to the Virginia Constitution, June 1776, 1 T. Jefferson Papers

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
-Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
-Thomas Jefferson

An armed society is a polite society.
-Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

that sums up the political topic im most involved with

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:30 PM on j-body.org
As Mike said.......Plus the writings of Ayn Raynd.....Plus my own observations and my own gut.

Unlike slimeballs lawyers, I am able to think for myself and have no need to reference what somebody else said.

Just because I said so.

Rice.....Part of a balanced Pontiac diet.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:00 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.

President John F Kennedy's inaugural address, January 20, 1961

Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:27 AM on j-body.org
Theodore Roosevelt (in a letter to the American Defense Society) wrote:In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Sunday, April 23, 2006 12:15 PM on j-body.org
Those who would sacrifice freedom for temporary security deserve neither.
- Benjamin Franklin

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
- Howard Zinn

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
- Martin Luther King Jr. 1963

Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:06 PM on j-body.org
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?"

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

Both Thomas Jefferson.

Also anything that Mohandas K. Gandhi has ever said.

"welcome to the most expensive hobby ever..."
Monday, April 24, 2006 7:02 AM on j-body.org
The Duke of Wellington when asked his thoughts about the "new" Palament in England.

"I've never seen so many bad hats."

Ahh the good old Iron Duke knew that parlament was basically ineffective right off the get-go.

PAX
Monday, April 24, 2006 7:29 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

chuck norris outran a cavalier. he just stood still.
Monday, April 24, 2006 8:23 AM on j-body.org
George Orwell wrote:One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. The P.S.U.C. militiamen whom I knew in the line, the Communists from the International Brigade whom I met from time to time, never called me a Trotskyist or a traitor; they left that kind of thing to the journalists in the rear. The people who wrote pamphlets against us and vilified us in the newspapers all remained safe at home, or at worst in the newspaper offices of Valencia, hundreds of miles from the bullets and the mud. And apart from the libels of the inter-party feud, all the usual war-stuff, the tub-thumping, the heroics, the vilification of the enemy—all these were done, as usual, by people who were not fighting and who in many cases would have run a hundred miles sooner than fight. […] Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecedented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him.

Thomas Carlyle wrote:I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

William Yeats wrote:Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Those are my favorites.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, April 24, 2006 10:14 AM on j-body.org
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman...Miss Lewinsky." Pres. Clinton

"Oldsmobile? I don't even own an Oldsmobile." Eddie Kennedy

Monday, April 24, 2006 11:17 AM on j-body.org
"We will run out of oil within 10 years" Jimmy Carter
"I did not have sexual relations with Miss Lewinsky" William Clinton

These guys proved that you can be completely clueless and lie and still be a great leader.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:29 AM on j-body.org
Take your pick...

"Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything."
- Frank Dane

"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river."
- Nikita Khrushchev, 1894 - 1971

My personal favourite:
"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'"
- Larry Hardiman

"Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame."
- Laurence J. Peter, 1919 - 1988

"I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time."
- H. L. Mencken, 1880 - 1956

"Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists in choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
- John Kenneth Galbraith

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them."
- Paul Valery, 1871 - 1945

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.
- Plato, 427 BC - 347 BC

snosh

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:13 PM on j-body.org
Dwight D. Eisenhower wrote:
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear from that party again in our political history.

There is a tiny splinter group of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt (you possibly know his background [He was a heavy contributor to the Goldwater campaign, and the RNC]), afew other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or buisnessman from other areas.

Their number is neglible, and they are STUPID."
- Nov. 8, 1954 In a letter to his brother Edgar

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:36 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

General George S. Patton:
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

“Live for something rather than die for nothing.”

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”

"...no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Quote:

former President Ronald Reagan:
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, April 28, 2006 3:04 PM on j-body.org
“How far would Moses have gone if he had taken a poll in Egypt? What would Jesus Christ have preached if he had taken a poll in the land of Israel? What would have happened to the Reformation if Martin Luther had taken a poll? It isn't polls or public opinion of the moment that counts. It's right and wrong and leadership.”

~ Harry Truman
33rd President of the United States, 1945-53

Check out my build thread!

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:19 PM on j-body.org
"When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered."

-- Dorothy Thompson

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will."

-- Frederick Douglas

Monday, May 01, 2006 1:53 PM on j-body.org
"We're all @!#$--it helps to realize this"

"The reason the mainstream is though of as a stream is because it's so shallow"

~George Carlin

"Nor is it enough for the security, which men desire should last all the time of their life, that they be governed and directed by one judgement for a limited time; as in one battle, or one war. For though they obtain a victory by their unanimous endeavour against a foreign enemy, yet afterwards, when either they have no common enemy, or he that by one part is held for an enemy is by another part held for a friend, they must needs by the difference of their interests dissolve, and fall again into a war amongst themselves."
~Thomas Hobbes

"We may prefer to think of ourselves as fallen angels, but in reality we are risen apes"
~Desmon Morris

"The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds--the pessimist knows it"
~J. Robert Oppenheimer

For a few

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, May 01, 2006 11:45 PM on j-body.org
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall. - Che'

Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:
Sorry that you aren't fond of me... I guess you seem to be a loner in that crowd bud.

...i beg to differ
Monday, May 01, 2006 11:55 PM on j-body.org
"If you say that this riding is hopeless, that this party can't win here, you are full filling your own prophecy" --local NDP candidate Barry Bell

moral = if you believe a party best represents your interest go help them
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search