QWERTY Vs. DVORAK - LET'S HAVE IT OUT!!! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
QWERTY Vs. DVORAK - LET'S HAVE IT OUT!!!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:13 PM on j-body.org
Discuss

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: QWERTY Vs. DVORAK - LET'S HAVE IT OUT!!!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:21 PM on j-body.org
OK, Um, What?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:25 PM on j-body.org
So i had to google DVORAK to find out what it is and I have to say

QWERTY all the way.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:26 PM on j-body.org
honestly, not a concern for me since i hunt-and-peck, i would be able to adapt to DVORAK easier than most.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:29 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]honestly, not a concern for me since i hunt-and-peck, i would be able to adapt to DVORAK easier than most.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:55 PM on j-body.org
DVORAKS for wusses.

Hail to my 140 wpm qwerty skillz.

---

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:57 PM on j-body.org
Karnage ( Iniettore uno ) wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]honestly, not a concern for me since i hunt-and-peck, i would be able to adapt to DVORAK easier than most.

x3

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:20 PM on j-body.org
Agustin: tell me how your wrists feel after an hour of keyboarding @ 140 wpm? Seriously though, I used to hit 20-30 QWERTY (yeah, I sucked) but with Dvorak I'm @ 130-175. I have to switch back because the AFIS system at work is QWERTY only, and I have to get a separate keyboard to have Dvorak.

KOTL: It's called the Columbus method.

Jack: I'll get you a cookie.

mclonedogmcwad: (that's a funny Username.. ) If you read the story on Qwerty vs. dvorak, it's pretty interesting.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:25 PM on j-body.org
A little history lesson will tell you that the QWERTY keyboard was developed to SLOW DOWN TYPISTS. That's right, it purposely slows you down. Way back, when typewriters (remember those?) used swing arm style letter hammers (term?) as fast typist could cause the machine to bind up and tangle the armatures of the hammers.

Once typwriters overcame this limitation (ball style electics), the DVORAK system was developed to maximize speed. the problems was/is that most learned on a QWERTY kyb and just don't want to change.

I like QWERTY because I know where the keys are, but I will conceed that DVORAK is much better.

PAX
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:20 PM on j-body.org
qwerty all the way!!

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:47 PM on j-body.org
qwerty.

What would an advantage be about switching. It may be faster, but people cant seem to type more then 30 wpm on our current platform. Now switching them up would really throw them off. My thoughts at least. I work at a school, and the thought of changing 600 keyboards haunts me.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 8:35 PM on j-body.org
ive only used qwerty so id hafta get a dvorak keyboard and try it out and get used to it

Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:01 AM on j-body.org
Dvorak is a more balanced keyboarding method: Most used consonants on the right, vowels on the left. It was developed in the 1920's as a more productive way to type, and it actually minimised the strain on the wrists and hands.

It's been shown to reduce Repetitive strain injuries 10 times more than ergonomic split keyboards. It also has the advantage of speed and intuitiveness over QWERTY.

Dvorak has several other permutations that allow one-handed typing to about 45-60 wpm.

If it had been developed PREVIOUS to the depression, it'd most likely be the most commonly used layout.

Google: wiki Dvorak Keyboard and find out about it.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:48 AM on j-body.org
Woo Hoo I gets a cookie !!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:45 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Agustin: tell me how your wrists feel after an hour of keyboarding @ 140 wpm?

They feel fine. Years of drumming, weight lifting, motorcycle riding, wanking, typing.. .no pain at all.

It's my grip that suffers. And I can't use chopsticks half the time I try. I don't think that would change by changing to dvorak.

There is also just the fact that QWERTY is the standard. It's what typing tests are given in. Trying to switch back and forth ought to be troublesome.

Also, where do you even get a DVORAK keyboard?

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:48 AM on j-body.org
QWERTY all the way... And very few people type 120 WPM using full punctuation, numbers, symbols, etc... I type faster than 99% of the population, and I'm nowhere near 120 WPM.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:00 AM on j-body.org
Dvorak Keyboards

Dvorak keyboard Overlays

You can convert your QWERTY keyboard to Dvorak pretty easily if you're using XP/2000, and I seem to remember it is pretty easy with a Mac as well.

And you WILL notice your grip will be better... the typing load is distributed 46%-54% instead of 68%-32%. It's just a better way to type if that's what you do a lot. The fastest keyboardist in the world got to 600 WPM using Dvorak, vs flunking the typographical standard test (pass was 30 wpm IIRC) the USG used in the 40's.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:14 AM on j-body.org
damn 600 wpm? I'll have to give it a shot then,

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:00 AM on j-body.org
just looking at the template it doesn't seem like the conversion would be all that hard. I remember learning to type on a qwerty that came from the fact that with all the time I was wasting in online muds it was much easier to place the keyboard in my lap.

I'm a stickler for performance.

GAM: Do you have any difficulty going from home to work using that method?

-Chris

Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:23 AM on j-body.org
Just a side note.. I bought this keyboard recently on a whim..

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/7a71/

It's the Logitech Gaming Keyboard. It has a new set of keys to the left, called "G Keys", which are programmable. The keyboard is marketed for gaming, but I've found it extremely useful in everyday tasks.

The way it works is that you assign macros to a G Key. Macros are basically a series of many keystrokes assigned to one button, and when you press the button it repeats all the keystrokes in the order originally recorded.

For example I was scanning some documents into photoshop. It was about 15 keystrokes to scan, save, close, and reopen the scanner dialogue to start anew. With it all on the G Key, it cut 2 minutes off each scan, at least.

And it was WAY easy to use.

I actually haven't tried it in gaming yet, but I think Unreal Tourney is where I'll start.

Ok, done pimpin' the keyboard for logitech

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:01 PM on j-body.org
so how exactly do you convert a qwerty keyboard? i mean no matter what letter you "see" on a key its still gonna give the same result

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:52 AM on j-body.org
No, you put the cover on the keyboard, so it's got the DVORAK layout.

Then, you change the settings in Windows so it thinks you have a DVORAK keyboard layout.

For all intents and purposes, then, you have a DVORAK keyboard.

The keys on your keyboard can be assigned to do pretty much anything, really. Not just what they're labelled as.

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:53 AM on j-body.org
^^^ Werd.

Rascal: I have to admit it's a serious PITA. I have to remember the key combinations to type instead of left: vowels and combination sounds, right: consonants...

I've asked 3-4 times to get a new keybd, but it seems I'm going to have to buy one and plug in EVERY TIME I go to work...

Meh...

Agustin: yeah... the lady did that in the 60's or so... She's in her 80's or something now, and she's still @ 450 wpm or so.

Friday, May 05, 2006 9:12 PM on j-body.org
where in windows do u change the kjey functions??

Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:36 AM on j-body.org
Dvorak, straight up yo.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search