Do kids seem to be stupider these days? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do kids seem to be stupider these days?
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:15 AM on j-body.org
Sure we've all done stupid things when we were kids but it seems that kids these days are just plain stupider and riskier.
Quote:

New Teen Car Craze: Ghost Riding the Whip
ABCNews
Aug. 15, 2006 — Young people have always been drawn to risky behavior, and the latest dangerous thrill is called "ghost riding the whip."

Ghost riding involves leaving the wheel of a moving car and walking, running, or dancing beside it.

It's a craze that's catching on, especially on the Internet, with young people making and posting hundreds of ghost-riding videos online.

Teens ghost ride on suburban roads, in parking lots, and on the freeway.

Some of the stunts are highly choreographed, with kids jumping in and out of moving cars.

One tape of a ghost-riding stunt shows a teenager wrapping up his stunt just as a school bus approaches.

Another shows a ghost rider losing control completely, his truck crashing into a fire hydrant and a utility pole.

"First thing a parent should say to their kid is, 'Don't participate in that activity,'" said Mark Helms, the assistant chief of the Stockton, Calif., police department. "It's extremely dangerous."

Goal Is to Fail

Ghost riding is an updated version of car surfing, which has been going on for decades and has killed young people across the country.

A group of teens from Nashville, Tenn., who made a ghost-riding tape acknowledged that it probably wasn't that smart, but that they would do it again.

"Ghost ride was started not to see people succeed, but to see people fail," Jonathan Lovecchio said. "They want to see people run into trees, run over their foot."

Ghost riding appears to have taken off as a result of popular rapper E-40, who has a song where he repeatedly chants, "Ghost ride the whip."

"Whip" is slang for car. E-40's song is the backdrop for many of the ghost-riding videos on the Web.

"We would have never done this without the song that we were playing," Lovecchio said. "If you don't play that song, you are not a ghost rider."

In cities like Stockton, officials say ghost riding is a growing problem, especially when it is part of what's called "sideshows" — illegal group gatherings characterized by loud music and automobile acrobatics.

Sideshows have reportedly resulted in eight deaths.

"Parents need to be responsible and know what their kids are doing," Helms said. "It's very likely that your child could get hurt out there."

Stockton police say in the last four months, they've arrested 171 people and impounded 482 cars at sideshows.

Rapper E-40 and his record label, Warner Bros., had no comment when asked about the song.

At least some of the kids had the intelligence to do these stunts in an empty parking lot where they wouldn't harm or kill anybody else except themselves, and probably win the darwin award for their antics .
And another example of todays kids stupidity:
Quote:

Venus Fly Trap Question
Ok so we were at a petting zoo the other day, and went into the greenhouse section off to the side of the zoo. We came across this big ass Venus Fly Trap. My little brother dared me to stick my finger in it. I know hardly anything about them except for they are a living plant and close and trap bugs like flies in them. So I had no idea if it could tell the difference between a finger or not. Me, being the moron I was, went ahead and stuck my finger in there. Nothing happened. I was scared to @!#$ while doing it though. My question is... Does anyone konw if its possible to be "bit" by a Venus Fly Trap? And what it'd do to you pain and effect wise?

Oh yes it's a man eating plant

Re: Do kids seem to be stupider these days?
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:20 AM on j-body.org
This post makes me giggle.

It would seem that they are, but in fact they are not. It is just a one upsmanship of what has been done in the past. Every generation has crap like this. Always getting wilder and wilder. It will always be like that. I'm sure my parents said the same thing about me.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:25 AM on j-body.org
I remember looping a rope through the rear windows of my friends 69 Pontiac Bonneville and 3 of us surfing on the trunk. We had at least had a driver. I've also rode my bike and skateboarded off a flat roofed garage with a few friends, that was fun. Playing with my Evil Knevil stunt bike gave me too many ideas for jumping my bicycle. When home-made ramps made out of cinder blocks and plywood weren't high enough, we went behind buildings that had loading docks with 4 foot high cement ramps. When I was a kid cars had steel bumpers that made for easy hand-holds in the winter. Combine that with cowboy boots and you're bumper hitching all over the city. And these were almost all heavy rear-wheel drive cars, fish-tailing around corners and sliding through stop signs.

I don't know where you're at in Ohio, but when they were building the bridge for I-480 over Valley View, we used to walk out over the semi-completed sections, lay down and stick our heads over the edge. We'd see whose spit would fall fastest or drop pennies. When they had only one section left to connect, we tried to whiz from one side to the other. (we had a tail wind, only got about 1/3 of the way). This bridge is about 200 feet up, so being a kid and walking on it with no guard rails wasn't exactly safe...

I was in the hospital so often when I was growing up that after the third time the ER doctors called the social workers on my parents suspecting abuse, I got a copy of a letter from a social worker. It said "Dear ER Doctor, This is not an abused child. We have reviewed his family situation and found no problems. Please do not call us, we do not want to take time away from people who actually need our help. Sincerely, Madeline Moore." My parents still have that letter somewhere.

I wouldn't attempt half of what I did now, I'm older and a little wiser. I don't think kids are any dumber than we were, we've just become older and more experienced to limit our stupidity.

I don't think "ghost riding" is any safer or more dangerous than driving drunk, and how many adults do you know who do that?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:34 AM on j-body.org
getting stupider? They have been doing this for years...which means we were always stupid...

doesnt any one remeber this

Hahaha

This one just shows the stupidity of kids...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:20 AM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:This post makes me giggle.

It would seem that they are, but in fact they are not. It is just a one upsmanship of what has been done in the past. Every generation has crap like this. Always getting wilder and wilder. It will always be like that. I'm sure my parents said the same thing about me.

Yes thank you. I hate when people say todays kids are stupid, like we're the last generation of "smart" people. Get over yourself, your not the last bastion of intelligence. Every generation will think the next one is "stupid", the next one will think the next next one is "stupid", and so on until infinite.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:30 AM on j-body.org
Ummm, shouldn't it be more stupid? idk.

I wrote this post a long time ago, a real long time ago, back in 94.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:18 PM on j-body.org
people today are stupider because we have laws protecting people from their own stupidity.

I honestly thinky that anyone that gets mortally wounded after saying "hey y'all! watch this" should be denied medical treatment.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:36 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]people today are stupider because we have laws protecting people from their own stupidity.

I honestly thinky that anyone that gets mortally wounded after saying "hey y'all! watch this" should be denied medical treatment.
Exactly. There's so many warning signs on stuff now it's ridiculous. I learned when I was 4 yrs old that bee stings hurt because my grandpa was smart enough to let me learn on my own not to @!#$ with bees. Nowadays alot of parents shelter their kids from any kind of pain whether it be physical or emotional and some of them grow up with the I'm invincible ego and learn the hard way. Common sense seems to be slipping away these days.

Glace is that the best you got , If it is your slipping .

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:56 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]people today are stupider because we have laws protecting people from their own stupidity.

EGAD!!!!

NATURE IS BUILDING A BETTER IDIOT!!!!

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:06 AM on j-body.org
Young people being stupid and doing dangerous is a good thing, if they off themselves before
they get the chance to reproduce. It appears "survival of the fittest" is alive and well even in humans.
The gene pool stays stronger if the stupid genes can be wiped out.

I'm pretty sure duaLife would concur.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:11 AM on j-body.org
No, GAM. WE ARE!!!!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:12 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

people today are stupider because we have laws protecting people from their own stupidity.

Smartest. Sentence. Ever.

EVAR.

*As I type this, I'm looking at a coffee cup with a warning on it, clearly stating that hot coffee can occasionally be hot, and therefore I should be careful with it. Wow, not sure how I got through life without that little nugget of brilliance.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:19 AM on j-body.org
Keeper, with your permission, I would like to add that quote to my signature.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:49 AM on j-body.org
Go for it, just give me creds.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:17 PM on j-body.org
spikej wrote:Glace is that the best you got , If it is your slipping .

No no, I wasn't aiming my comment specifically at you, it's just a general comment that pisses me off.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:43 PM on j-body.org
wow kids 2day are dumb. lol.

with that ghost riding thing, i think it was on break.com, but i seen a guy do it in a lifted, done up chevy truck... he got out while it was going about 10-15mph, got on his hood, slipped off, hit the ground and landed in front of the truck, luckly though, the truck smoked a telephone pole and stopped, inchs away from the dumb a$$ driver.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:47 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Go for it, just give me creds.

done.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:54 PM on j-body.org
I'm pretty sure stupider isn't a word.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:08 PM on j-body.org
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stupider

Yep. It is an adjective meaning basically, more stupid than the original benchmark for stupid...in other words, if i was the original benchmark for stupid (which may very well be true), then my progeny would be more stupid, or stupider than I am.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:12 PM on j-body.org
well then it isnt proper english.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:05 PM on j-body.org
Like what anyone speaks in the states and canada is...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:09 PM on j-body.org
Never the less. The irony is amazing.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:32 AM on j-body.org
Well, this is the way i see it...

Apparently, it's listed as an adjective in the oxford dictionary, which means as "bad" as it is, it's still an english word.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:33 PM on j-body.org
I just read the title of the thread and I have to say. WTF is stupider? It sure as hell is not a word. And yes, kids are more stupid that I remember growing up.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:10 PM on j-body.org
No, I will vouch for KOTL, it is a word, although I frown upon the usage of said word.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search