Do kids seem to be stupider these days? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Do kids seem to be stupider these days?
Friday, August 18, 2006 2:29 PM on j-body.org
So.. it's stupider to use 'stupider' than to use 'more stupid' when referring to the stupidity of something that may or may not be more stupid than something else...... got it.

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:06 PM on j-body.org
Not really, you see. There is this thing called a TYPO and sometimes it happens. Stupider in the title is not a typo.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Saturday, August 19, 2006 12:23 AM on j-body.org
it's actually used correctly in the title.

you would use more stupid when comparing two objects in a sentance.

"john is more stupid than jane."

and stupider would be used when one of the two objects is understood.

"john is stupider. (than jane)"

consult your MLA handbook.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 5:14 AM on j-body.org
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/stupider
its not in the dictionary. And there are quite a few words you dont ad er to.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:29 AM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:No, I will vouch for KOTL, it is a word, although I frown upon the usage of said word.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:49 AM on j-body.org
google stupider. the first link is the title of a book on amazon.com. 'nuff said.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:48 AM on j-body.org
KevinP (The IOU One IDB) wrote:
"john is more stupid than jane."

OK, who is this "Jane" and why is she smarter than I?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, August 21, 2006 7:00 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

stu·pid
ADJECTIVE:
stu·pid·er , stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
NOUN:

A stupid or foolish person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Latin stupidus, from stupre, to be stunned

OTHER FORMS:
stupid·ly (Adverb), stupid·ness (Noun)

\/bottom\/ of Yahoo page
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Now lets get back on topic.
Another example: Last night on Nature Alligators and Crocodiles they showed these kids down in Florida fooling around in a man made pond even though an alligator trapper posted signs all around the pond warning about large alligators and to not swim or fish until further notice yet they did anyways.

And another thing although a bit off topic Why do we consider ourselves off the menu for other predators even though they're on our menus? Last night they showed an alligator being caught and killed because it ate a human. It's going to happen cause sensless people put them selves in positions where the predator will strike.

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:20 AM on j-body.org
^^ which half assed dictionary did you pull that from?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Monday, August 21, 2006 8:02 AM on j-body.org
Sappy:

I prefer Oxford to Merriam-Webster. After all, Oxford (unabridged) is considered the de facto standard for the *english* language. I think the thing is RailS looks at "Stupider" like "Ain't".

Personally, if it's in the english language, I'll @!#$ say it when it's goddamned appropriate to say it, and there ain't no prissy grammar police @!#$-for-brains eunuch that will stop me .

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, August 21, 2006 11:21 AM on j-body.org
I never understood the whole, going out and killing a wild animal if it attack or kills a human. That is what animals do. Hence "WILD". I just always thought it was rediculous.

I still stand with my origional POV. Kids are not any more stupid (or stupider) then kids were of any previous generation. Freedom's a bitch, isn't it?

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Monday, August 21, 2006 12:55 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Sappy:

I prefer Oxford to Merriam-Webster. After all, Oxford (unabridged) is considered the de facto standard for the *english* language. I think the thing is RailS looks at "Stupider" like "Ain't".

Personally, if it's in the english language, I'll @!#$ say it when it's goddamned appropriate to say it, and there ain't no prissy grammar police @!#$-for-brains eunuch that will stop me .

I dont care if you do or not however; if you do make make a thread like this calling other people stupid you would be advised to CYA.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Monday, August 21, 2006 1:05 PM on j-body.org
^^^au contraire, Rails...With more laws now protecting people from their own stupidity, and thus letting more stupid people reach breeding age and thus interpbreeding, it's making the chance that someone is stupid more likely and thus decreasing the overall intelligence of the human race (not that it was very high to begin with).

Back then, the people that did stupid things often died for their own stupidity, now, we have laws protecting people from meeting the reaper by their own stupidity (although the few that do often make the Darwin awards). Hence, kids have a good chance at being stupider because of laws that protected their parents from offing themselves when they were kids, and then they bred. Likey it took a long time. I picture two stupid people trying to pork each other similar to the Upper-class twit of the year trying to remove the bra from the mannequin...but I digress.

And Sappy--i pulled it from the Oxford Unabridged English dictionary.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, August 21, 2006 4:47 PM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:I never understood the whole, going out and killing a wild animal if it attack or kills a human. That is what animals do. Hence "WILD". I just always thought it was rediculous.

It's the same reason that parks have signs that read "Do not feed the bears". If 10 people feed a bear, that specific animal learned that humans have food so it will expect food when it meets person #11. If person #11 doesn't have food, the bear may try to eat person #11. Once an animal learns that humans are a food source it will try to eat another one when it's hungry again.

Personally, I don't think humans are all that tasty. I'd rather eat a nice marinated cat. It's a little stringy but otherwise it's yummy.

*Disclaimer*
I don't like marinated cat. It's just a joke, geeze, don't call PETA on my dumb ass!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:16 AM on j-body.org
sappy at his finest. enjoy it while you can before the sand runs dry

Re:Do kids seem to be less intelligent these days?
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:04 AM on j-body.org
Sappy96 wrote:^^ which half assed dictionary did you pull that from?

Click the link in the quote genius . I noted the Dictionary reference in bold at the bottom of the quote as well .

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:17 AM on j-body.org
While I don't like the word "stupider" it is a word. For those disbelievers think of this. When using comparitives, you have "er" then "est" IE: big, bigger, biggest.

How can you say something like "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen" if there is no "stupider"

They come in sets.

As far as kids getting "stupider", I don't think so. The opportunity to show off how stupid you are has become more accessable. First there's the easier access to cars and technology to do stupid things with, then there's the internet's ability to spread the stupidity around. People have always done stupid things, but in the past it didn't get much further than the person's circle of friends and aquaintances. Now with the magic of the internet, your friens can post a video of you being stupid for the whole world to see.

Isn't the internet wonderful

PAX
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:43 AM on j-body.org
This part of the story made me laugh:

Quote:

We would have never done this without the song that we were playing, Lovecchio said. If you don't play that song, you are not a ghost rider.

lol

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:58 PM on j-body.org
Ahem, its more stupid. That is correct english.

Are people more stupid today than before.

Other words like clear, retarded, and delicious also use more and most.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:00 PM on j-body.org
spikej wrote:
Sappy96 wrote:^^ which half assed dictionary did you pull that from?

Click the link in the quote genius . I noted the Dictionary reference in bold at the bottom of the quote as well .

And when did yahoo become the standard for the english language.

Even if it was a word its not proper grammer.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:01 PM on j-body.org
(Unquoatable One) wrote:sappy at his finest. enjoy it while you can before the sand runs dry

Always on topic with your posts as normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:01 PM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:45 PM on j-body.org
I hope kids are stupider. Their stupidity is my intelligence. Their weakness is my strenght.

I'm kind of on the side with George Carlin on this. I just don't care. I like seeing society slowly swirling the toilet drain and I especially like seeing the circles get a little faster and a little shorter.

It's like when you're watching NASCAR and kind of hope deep down in your hear that there's a spectacular 20 car pileup. I mean, you don't want anyone to get hurt or anything... but all that shattering glass and screeching metal and fire and announcers screaming "OH MY GOD!!!!!!" and flying tires and spectators running for their lives and thick black smoke is really really really cool! And it is UNFAIR of anyone to deny you the joy you feel watching that stuff.

So yes, I feel it's wrong for me to enjoy seeing kids not be able to name more than three states or remember who George Washington was, but goddamn it cheers me up when I'm down. Because unlike them, I do know these things, so when the time comes I'll put all them smarts to good use.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:57 AM on j-body.org
From Oxford.. The authority. Stupider listed as an adjective.

stupid

• adjective (stupider, stupidest) 1 lacking intelligence or common sense. 2 informal used to express exasperation or boredom: your stupid paintings! 3 dazed and unable to think clearly.

— DERIVATIVES stupidity noun stupidly adverb.

— ORIGIN Latin stupidus, from stupere ‘be amazed or stunned’.

PAX
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:39 AM on j-body.org
^^^which is the "half-assed" dictionary i pulled it from.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:30 AM on j-body.org
W/E use improper English. Just added to the thread topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:30 AM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search