Speech of Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speech of Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson
Friday, September 01, 2006 10:50 AM on j-body.org
Bravo, Mr Anderson, Bravo.

Sample:
A patriot does not tell people who are intensely concerned about their country to just sit down and be quiet; to refrain from speaking out in the name of politeness or for the sake of being a good host; to show slavish, blind obedience and deference to a dishonest, war-mongering, human-rights-violating president.
That is not a patriot. Rather, that person is a sycophant. That person is a member of a frightening culture of obedience - a culture where falling in line with authority is more important than choosing what is right...

Read it all.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4263654

---

Re: Speech of Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson
Friday, September 01, 2006 12:00 PM on j-body.org
Rocky Anderson is a political opportunist trying to make a national name for himself so he has a shot at something bigger than Salt Lake City in the next election.

That speech could have been given by Cindy Sheehan, Al Gore, Jesse Jackson or any of a long list of liberal talking heads and it would jsut be the same old talking points rehashed once again by someone else. It's always the same speech, rearranged and redelivered by someone painting themselves as a "real patriot".

It's great that he had "hundreds of supporters" show up for his bit of soap-box speechifying. What they forgot to tell you is how before his little dog-and-pony show City Hall's phone system was overwhelmed (to the point of shutdown) with callers objecting to his planned "protest". As an elected official he is bound to enforce the will of those who elect him, but I guess he thinks that only applies to the President.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, September 01, 2006 12:05 PM on j-body.org
Weather or not it's been said before, and no matter who said it, or for what reason, it is still the truth.

The truth cannot be silenced. If it is spoken by an honest person or an opportunist, it is still the truth.

A patriot IS concerned about his or her country and will not be swayed by political pressure. A person that just falls in line and does what they are told is nothing more than a sheeple. There are plenty of those to go around.

PAX
Friday, September 01, 2006 12:20 PM on j-body.org
JimmyZ wrote:Rocky Anderson is a political opportunist trying to make a national name for himself so he has a shot at something bigger than Salt Lake City in the next election.

That speech could have been given by Cindy Sheehan, Al Gore, Jesse Jackson or any of a long list of liberal talking heads and it would jsut be the same old talking points rehashed once again by someone else. It's always the same speech, rearranged and redelivered by someone painting themselves as a "real patriot".

It's great that he had "hundreds of supporters" show up for his bit of soap-box speechifying. What they forgot to tell you is how before his little dog-and-pony show City Hall's phone system was overwhelmed (to the point of shutdown) with callers objecting to his planned "protest". As an elected official he is bound to enforce the will of those who elect him, but I guess he thinks that only applies to the President.

What does any of that have to do with whether it's true or not?

Further, a politician is not bound to the beliefs of the people who elected him. He's bound to his beliefs that he was elected FOR. Otherwise, Bush should begin winding this war up immediately as 60% of the public no longer supports it. It's a ridiculous statement. Clinton was constantly blasted for "ruling by opinion polls" from the right, and now you're advocating it?

It's funny how Republicans forget what they once said themselves.

And how do you know the people calling were even the peopl who elected him? I'm sure he didn't get 100% of the vote. And how many phone lines does their city have? 5? 10? 20?

You realize nothing you said means anything?

---

Friday, September 01, 2006 12:30 PM on j-body.org
GREAT @!#$!NG SPEECH! This is the kind of person we need to run for president, someone who is a great speaker and not afraid to share his views. This administration is honestly the worst administration in history, I'm not saying that because he is a republican, it is simply the truth. I can't believe that some people still like him! However, I don't agree with everything that was said.

No more attacks on immigrants who work so hard to build better lives.
- What attacks? He wants to give them permits to work, that's what they want. The problem is the employers who take advantage of them, and thats why bush wants them here.

No more inaction on stopping the genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan.
- I don't think it's our place to police the world, it always comes back to bite us in the ass. It's also hypocritical, saddam was just as bad and they don't want us there.

No more killing. - There has to be, we have to finish the "war" in Iraq. I didn't agree with us going there, but we must not leave until the Iraqis can stand on their own.

No more phony, ineffective, inhumane so-called war on drugs.
- I am VERY surprised and happy to hear this from a politician on either side of the isle. The "war on drugs" is the most ineffective, wasteful, hurtful and unneeded thing that our government has done in a long time. This needs to stop.

-Religion breeds self-righteousness.
-Ignoring problems rarely fixes them.
-All men are CREATED equal.
-We DO legislate morality.
-Justice does not exist.
-Rely only on yourself.
-Legalize marihuana.
-Gun control kills!
Friday, September 01, 2006 1:44 PM on j-body.org
JimmyZ wrote:Rocky Anderson is a political opportunist trying to make a national name for himself so he has a shot at something bigger than Salt Lake City in the next election.

Maybe so, but in the past politicians who stray too far from the middle don't get elected.

JimmyZ wrote:That speech could have been given by Cindy Sheehan, Al Gore, Jesse Jackson or any of a long list of liberal talking heads and it would jsut be the same old talking points rehashed once again by someone else. It's always the same speech, rearranged and redelivered by someone painting themselves as a "real patriot".

This speech COULD have been given by a lot of people, but none in the current Bush administration. Asking for the public to speak their minds, demand that politicians tell the truth and not go to war on BS reasons wouldn't be words spoken by the Bush camp.

JimmyZ wrote:It's great that he had "hundreds of supporters" show up for his bit of soap-box speechifying. What they forgot to tell you is how before his little dog-and-pony show City Hall's phone system was overwhelmed (to the point of shutdown) with callers objecting to his planned "protest". As an elected official he is bound to enforce the will of those who elect him, but I guess he thinks that only applies to the President.

The public was motivated to contact their government and make their views known, and ask that their will be done. His speech was about people doing exactly that, how ironic that it was happening BEFORE he spoke.

I didn't read about any counter-protest happening against his speech. That tells me that either their phone system sucks and is easily overloaded, or the reported number of phone calls was greatly exaggerated. If the public was really against him speaking, there would be reported arrests or at the very least a counter protest happening nearby.

I agree with a lot of what he said in his speech. I'm for people standing up and speaking their mind, politicians telling the truth and not going to war without just cause. How could you not support those views?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search