Walmart....not the normal old controversy! Funny Kinda - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Walmart....not the normal old controversy! Funny Kinda
Monday, April 02, 2007 8:26 AM on j-body.org
Ok, I'll start off with a short story.

Last weekend, my buddy and I were at my local Walmart, up here in northeast Ohio. I went to check out at one of the self check out machines, and didn't select English or Spanish as my language. I scanned my items, and then payed for them. I then noticed everything is in Spanish. So I asked my friend to do the same on the other self check out machine. "Don't pick a language." His machine ALSO defaulted to Spanish.

My friend goes off the deep end, and starts yelling at the machine, and the workers. He uses his credit card, and signs it @!#$ YOU MEXICANS. Well the scan will not take so a lady comes over, to see what the problem was. She just stands there amazed, half laughing, and asks why he wrote that on the screen. He tells her it defaulted to Spanish. She looks at his driver license and credit card, and lets us go. While we are walking away, she asks if we want a souvenir. The Recite has @!#$ YOU MEXICANS across the bottom of it. I find it kinda funny, friend finds it off the wall funny.

Why in America would ALL the machines at Walmart default to Spanish, and not English. We do live in America right, and the default language here is English correct. I personally think this is total crap that the machine DEFAULTS to Spanish not English.

What would you do in this situation, and what are your opinions.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: Walmart....not the normal old controversy! Funny Kinda
Monday, April 02, 2007 8:37 AM on j-body.org
There is no "default" language in america, per se.

But considering you're in Ohio rather than, say, San Diego or any other community that is predominatly spanish speaking, i have to sorta agree. It should default to the language the majority speaks in that locale.

Of course, i'm assuming that your area's predominant language spoken is american english.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, April 02, 2007 8:46 AM on j-body.org
I'm rather offended...

You're not using the Queen's English, rather your American attempt at humour.

Your friend has no right at all to get angry, he's not even speaking proper English to begin with.

IT SPOKE IN SPANISH BECAUSE THE PROGRAMMER'S FIGURED THAT YOU'RE PROLLY NOT UNDERSTANDING IT WHEN IT ASKS TO SELECT A LANGUAGE.

Don't give the people @!#$ for trying to serve you better.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, April 02, 2007 8:47 AM on j-body.org
i think the fact that you can select spanish in the first place is wrong, but the default def should not be spanish.

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Monday, April 02, 2007 8:48 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I'm rather offended...

Your friend has no right at all to get angry, he's not even speaking proper English to begin with.

IT SPOKE IN SPANISH BECAUSE THE PROGRAMMER'S FIGURED THAT YOU'RE PROLLY NOT UNDERSTANDING IT WHEN IT ASKS TO SELECT A LANGUAGE.

GAM I was not giving them @!#$ my friend was.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, April 02, 2007 8:53 AM on j-body.org
GAM: Then, it should either default to gibberish or a combination of all languages, because we can assume from there that the person can't read any language as well.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, April 02, 2007 11:40 AM on j-body.org
umm yea to anyone on the spanish side, get out of my country then
every other country has an offiicial language that they speak, and vistors or immigrants are expected to learn it.
how dare you come to my country, my home and expect me to learn your language. @!#$ YOU!!
i dont care if you're emporer of china, you come to america you learn english. its our language!!
i shouldnt have to press 1 for english, i shouldnt have to do anything. enlighs is our language and it needs to stay that way. screw all these mexican immigrants waving their flags can all go to hell and back to mexico. dont come ot my country saying you wanna live here cuz its sooo much better but you still love your country, thats bull@!#$!

anyway yea i went off on a tangent there but yea, i shouldnt have to do anything to hear a menu or use something in english in america, to those of you that use that spanish option, learn our language, which is english, or STFU and GTFO!!!

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:18 PM on j-body.org
I dunno - the walmarts around here are default english.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Monday, April 02, 2007 1:25 PM on j-body.org
First, "Yo quiero Taco Bell."

Now this.

Damn Taco Bell dog....

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:31 PM on j-body.org
I'm sure wal-mart didn't spend more than they had to on the software.

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:42 PM on j-body.org
The walmart around here defaults english.

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:55 PM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I'm rather offended...

GAM I was not giving them @!#$ my friend was.

I was directing my comment to your friend... Sorry

Monday, April 02, 2007 2:50 PM on j-body.org
Ok here is my gripe about this
most people here speak english, thats a given
there is no official language, get over it
people that bitch about the spanish thing are straight retarded and uneducated
there i said it
you know why?
because America WAS FOUNDED BY IMMIGRANTS
America WAS BUILT BY IMMIGRANTS
America became prosperous BECAUSE OF IMMIGRANTS
get the @!#$ over it! right now, we just have a lot of spanish speaking people entering the country (some illegally, i will grant you that)
but to be retarded and say "This is America, speak english!" is just plain that, retarded
dont like it? go to another friggin country, where they wont be bitching at you for not speaking their language

Monday, April 02, 2007 2:57 PM on j-body.org
since when does america have a "default" language?! give me a link to a reliable source where that is stated......

until then, I think it's a great ides to have more than one language available to the people. It is alot easier to shop when it's in your language, wether it's spanish or english. so being able to choose a language makes sense.

now one thing I dont agree with, why are english and spanish the only languages available?! they are not the only 2 spoken languages here, even if they are the majority. I think it would be awsome if you could choose between english/spanish/ and at least french too. I mean come on, how much more expensive would it be to add another language? afterall, those self check-out machines only have to say like 5 sentences tops!

why can't it be like some places in europe, where you have street signs in like 4 different languages. even canada has some places where signs are in both english/french. mexico's border cities all have signs in both english and spanish, of course they do need some improvement, but theyre getting there...

so why should the US be any different?! isnt the whole country made up of immigrants?! even if you do consider yourself 100% american, you're wrong because I assure you your ancestors came from somewhere else.................

its sad when people start hating on mexicans because they crossed the rio grande to get over here and call them wetbacks, when most of those guys' ancestors had to cross an entire ocean... hmm wonder what we could call those?! wet-bodies?!

Monday, April 02, 2007 3:45 PM on j-body.org
erm... I live in Canada (in the capital so bloody EVERYTHING is Bilingual) and with the exception of St./Rue a street name is a street name. I think the only difference in Montreal is in a part of the city called Point Claire, and the city put in an e to make it Pointe, hell, Quebec, you usually find that you're served in French first... but they'll flip to english easily. It's all about serving the customers.

I personally find it a little strange and funny that people get all uptight about having to choose a language... maybe it's because I'm used to it (I press 1 for english/anglais and appuiez sur le 2 pour francais/French, hell our national anthem is in 2 languages). You'll get what you want, it takes pushing a stupid little button or paying attention for a minute. I don't get why theres such hatred.

Monday, April 02, 2007 3:48 PM on j-body.org
I think those machines analyze what's been scanned to heuristically calculate the correct language,
and you must have purchased Salsa and or Nachos.

Monday, April 02, 2007 4:54 PM on j-body.org
Actually, in europe, the road signs i've seen have been graphical, not text-based, and if there is text it's something like 500km's ot the like, which is pretty universal.

Still, i think it's locale that determines language, not country unless the country is 100% a set language.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Monday, April 02, 2007 7:21 PM on j-body.org
Well,
its @!#$ walmart

Try target next time.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:38 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I personally find it a little strange and funny that people get all uptight about having to choose a language... maybe it's because I'm used to it (I press 1 for english/anglais and appuiez sur le 2 pour francais/French, hell our national anthem is in 2 languages). You'll get what you want, it takes pushing a stupid little button or paying attention for a minute. I don't get why theres such hatred.

My thoughts exactly. I don't understand why people in the US have this aversion to a different language. I know that the US is your home and you want to feel comfortable in your home, but what's wrong with exposure to different things? Why not see it as an opportunity to experience another culture?

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:32 AM on j-body.org
Glace: you're assuming america has culture to begin with.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:52 AM on j-body.org
RatZero - Muy Fantastico wrote:I think those machines analyze what's been scanned to heuristically calculate the correct language,
and you must have purchased Salsa and or Nachos.

Nope I bought a Wireless linksys router, and friend bought Crackdown and a candy bar.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 11:46 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Glace: you're assuming america has culture to begin with.

If it does, then it isn't at Wal-Mart.. or maybe it is?

For the sake of the few of us that have all of our teeth, I saw it doesn't

On a side note, I have found that if you ever feel down about yourself, walk into Super Wal Mart. There is ALWAYS someone worse off.

Tech Tone Blog
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:11 PM on j-body.org
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:enlighs is our language!

lol.

I must say that I feel that people that come to this country should at the very least make some attempt to learn a little bit of English. I'm not saying that they can't speak they're native language, I'm just saying don't come up to me and start asking for directions in spanish cause I won't know WTF your talking about.

The wal-mart I go to doesent do that. It goes straight to english if you dont select a language. I might just try doing it in spanish just to mix it up a little. I'm always up for a challenge.

later,

Steve

My other car is an interceptor.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:26 PM on j-body.org
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:umm yea to anyone on the spanish side, get out of my country then
every other country has an offiicial language that they speak, and vistors or immigrants are expected to learn it.
how dare you come to my country, my home and expect me to learn your language. @!#$ YOU!!
i dont care if you're emporer of china, you come to america you learn english. its our language!!
i shouldnt have to press 1 for english, i shouldnt have to do anything. enlighs is our language and it needs to stay that way. screw all these mexican immigrants waving their flags can all go to hell and back to mexico. dont come ot my country saying you wanna live here cuz its sooo much better but you still love your country, thats bull@!#$!

anyway yea i went off on a tangent there but yea, i shouldnt have to do anything to hear a menu or use something in english in america, to those of you that use that spanish option, learn our language, which is english, or STFU and GTFO!!!

What an elogent argument...really, it moved me.

I had something really funny to put here but it was too long.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:29 PM on j-body.org
I think the reason Americans in general are so irritated by having to select a language boils down to in some sense respect. There ARE those who come to live here and flat out refuse to learn English... I think it's more respect and courtesy than anything (not saying Americans are the most respective and courteous people...)

I mean think about it this way... say we take everyone from the ORG and we all emmigrate to Sweden. We move to Sweden and instead of learning their native language, we basically demand them all to learn English so they can cater to us when we need something. (This is just a hypothetical situation here). Odds are they'd be offended by our attitude and lack of willingness to learn their language... afterall, they didn't force us to move to Norway.

Now I DO understand that many people that immigrate here do learn English or are trying to learn English. But just like everything else in life, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone else. Take car modding for example. You have 2 groups of cars in a parking lot... Group A has heavily modded Hondas, J-bodies, Toyotas, whatever. Group B is a bunch of people hanging out in minivans. Who do you think the cops are going to go bother? Group A. A few stupid kids doing burnouts in parking lots, street racing etc ruin the "sport" for the ones who are respectful of other's property and the laws. But it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone else.

So those who move here and practically refuse to learn English ruin everything for those who do. Yes this country was founded or "built" by people who immigrated here from many countries, but there was a point where our ancestors adapted to this country and the other people in here. We had the English who landed here, primarily in the beginning... then take Pennsylvania for example. Pennsylvania had a large group of German immigrants many many years ago. A lot of Pennsylvanians share German ancestry... don't see a lot of people running around Pennsylvania speaking German anymore. (just a basic example)

There's nothing wrong with people coming here wanting a better life for themselves and their family. But even though we don't have an official language those who do come here should at least make an effort to learn English (with few exceptions, like the elderly... it's a lot harder for them to learn English coming from another country than it is those who are younger). Like with my Sweden example, I'm sure they wouldn't feel too happy about a bunch of us emmigrating there and demanding they learn English. A few years ago while waiting for my sister to come out from her doctors appointment, I ran out of cigarettes and walked up to a guy who was smoking. I went to ask him for a cigarette and he replied "no hablo ingles". I asked "habla espanol?" He replied "si". So I asked him "tiene un cigarillo?" So I was trying to talk to him in Spanish, and asked him how long he'd been in the US to which he replied he'd been here for FOUR YEARS!!!! Four years and couldn't speak a lick of English, or refused to speak it or acknowledge it.

Anyway... I'm done lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search