What was THE MAIN REASON behind 90's Boom.? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What was THE MAIN REASON behind 90's Boom.?
Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:28 AM on j-body.org
Can anyone tell me the number 1 reason for the economic boom in the 90's?

If you cannot do this without somehow point an accusatory finger at W. Bush, then please rant on another post.

One reason....not a string of reasons that glorify B.Clinton, but if you have ONE REASON, even if it is one thing Clinton did, please let us all know.

This ccould be ONE thing that saved the country money, earned us money, or whatever. (keeping us out of war does not count, because it is a back-door maneuver to start bush bashing)

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart

Re: What was THE MAIN REASON behind 90's Boom.?
Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:07 PM on j-body.org
#1 The Internet Boom
#2 Video Game Industry Boom
#3 Computer Industry Boom
#4 Telecommunication Industry Boom
#5 Mass Deregulation of Corporate industry that allowed formely big US based companies to become gigantic multinationals.
#6 Chain store explosion (Starbucks, ect...)
#7 Zoning law changes that allowed super-mega stores like Wal-Mart to be built
#8 SUV craze that allowed car makers to start selling what was essentially a pickup truck for almost a 20,000$ markup.

That's all I can think of right now.
Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:58 PM on j-body.org
Fall of the USSR

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.523@111.30
Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:21 PM on j-body.org
How did the fall of the USSR become the #1 driving force of the 90's economic boom? Be brief please.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:58 PM on j-body.org
You know, these two posts you made are VERY similar, and quite idiotic if you ask me. You ask for peoples' opinions on matters which are very opinionated. That's good. However, you then begin to give specific guidelines for responses. This, whether to skew answers to better suit your answer needs/wants, or just because you don't want to hear something, is retarded. Good day.

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:29 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:How did the fall of the USSR become the #1 driving force of the 90's economic boom? Be brief please.

it could be argued that the money spent on the cold war was instead funneled into other sectors of the economy.

if you are looking for a reason to back either the republican regan-era or the clinton-era administrations then you wont find it. you cant pin down ONE thing that affected the economy to make the boom......as with all things economic, its a web of interconnecting reasons that came together to form a favorable economy.

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:00 AM on j-body.org
Hey Ptz E,

The only guidlines were (A) to stay relevent to the 90's boom. I said leave Bush out of it, Because G.W. Bush was president until the next century, and these posts have a way of always degenerating into Bush Bashing.

And (B) To not list a STRING of clinton praises (as would be other tendencies). I even invited folks to share their opinion of ONE reason, even if it was a Clinton thing.

Why do you think it was idiotic then? They guidelines were set down to keep order.

I am aware that it would be impossible to say "this one thing caused it", but I am curious as to what most folks would say was the defining reason. Not, as tabs suggested, a covert means of arguing reagan vs. clinton.

But hey, if you don't want to play, thats your bit.

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:46 AM on j-body.org
Knoxfire wrote:#1 The Internet Boom
#2 Video Game Industry Boom
#3 Computer Industry Boom
#4 Telecommunication Industry Boom
#5 Mass Deregulation of Corporate industry that allowed formely big US based companies to become gigantic multinationals.
#6 Chain store explosion (Starbucks, ect...)
#7 Zoning law changes that allowed super-mega stores like Wal-Mart to be built
#8 SUV craze that allowed car makers to start selling what was essentially a pickup truck for almost a 20,000$ markup.

That's all I can think of right now.

for the most part.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, February 15, 2008 8:58 AM on j-body.org
Kurt cobain?
I think was probaly the fact the stock was on the rise due to all the hype
The hype drove the prices up. when you have more money in the stock market you feel richer so you buy more
which stimulate the economy. also maybe its because outsourcing wasn't the hot ticket to cutting costs to a make share holders happy.
Friday, February 15, 2008 12:55 PM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:How did the fall of the USSR become the #1 driving force of the 90's economic boom? Be brief please.

Also, we became the sole super power. The big economy everyone was into. It boosted everyones confidence in Capitalism.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.523@111.30
Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:03 AM on j-body.org
Sappy96 wrote:

Also, we became the sole super power. The big economy everyone was into. It boosted everyones confidence in Capitalism.

How long is this going to last for I wonder... I hope our way of life doesn't deteriorate too much over the next few years... And I sure hope it goes back to the way it was, because right now, I'm sick of wondering if my mill in my area is going to shut down or not, back in the 90's there was never a concern. That wasn't even that long ago.

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL

Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:42 PM on j-body.org
Whatever wrote:
Sappy96 wrote:

How long is this going to last for I wonder... I hope our way of life doesn't deteriorate too much over the next few years... And I sure hope it goes back to the way it was, because right now, I'm sick of wondering if my mill in my area is going to shut down or not, back in the 90's there was never a concern. That wasn't even that long ago.

there is no gaurentee on any of that. look at automakers 30 years ago. im sure most people thought their plants would never close down and now entire towns have dried up. job security is a thing of the past and you should always keep yourself update on your jobskills to keep yourself needed.

i think the dot.coms were the biggest thing in the 90's all the sudden people realised that those little gaming computers on their desks at home could make them millions of dollars. all the sudden people were willing to dump tons of money in these little upstart computer companies hoping they'd be the next microsoft or yahoo or whatever. stock was overinflated the money started pouring in for several years and then all these companies started failing just like most companies do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:29 PM on j-body.org
Dot.com companies? Millions pouring into the market? I thought Bill Clinton was why the economy of the 90's was so good. I may have missed it, but I have yet to hear from our resident 'bleeders who blame bush for everything and wistfully recount how Clinton kept a fire in every hearth and a chicken in every pot.

Sndsgood, your opinion, I believe was the closest to the truth. I recall at one time, YAHOO stock was trading at over $100 per share, as was other Dot.coms like Priceline and a host of other now-defunct companies. Everyone I used to work with was making money like crazy on the market and there were books and conferences all over the place showing how so many people became millionaires, literally in 3 years.

Then something happened....reality hit. The dot.com boom imploded....retired parents lost their nest eggs on speculative stocks their 40-something children talked them into investing. Now this same generation of 40, now 50somethingers point the finger of blame at the government. And their aging parents???? They are doing campaign ads for the Dems....eathing cat food and collecting popcans to pay for their heart pills.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:13 PM on j-body.org
Bill Clinton, he was definately a contributing factor
i guess im a resident bleeder... haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:14 PM

hop on in i've got a J

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:51 PM on j-body.org
i feel the president really has little to do with the econemy on a whole. they can tinker with it when times are bad and try and slow it down when times are good but the more tinkering you do is just going to put more hurt on the econemy in the long run.

but honestly people just really forgot the fact that the market has ups and downs. all these little startup companies start hitting it big and everyone just jumped in headfirst and people forgot that not everything would pan out. the assumed that if it was a dot.com company then all they needed to do was throw some money at it and watch themselves become millionaires. i wished i would have had some free money at the time the index just kept going higher and higher and higher and people just forgot that it does go down and its gone down in the past and will go down in the future. i remember talking to people and was amased that they were shocked when it started going down. it was like they didnt even realise it could go down. clinton was in office during a time when nothing major was really happening. we started on our way into the recession before clinton left office. it takes two to three downward cycles before it can be considered a recession and then bush was voted into office and as he's being sworn in the econemy is finally defined as a recession and everyone is screaming it was bush's fault. he didnt create the recession he inherited it. and 9/11 just made it even worse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:43 PM on j-body.org
No, No, No, Bush and organized religion are to blame for all the world's problems!!!

(enter the google pasters with PROOF Clinton was responsible)

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:05 AM on j-body.org
Wow as you stated above you laid down guide lines to keep order and then don't follow them yourself. Your blind praise of Bush is just as bad as someones blind hate for Bush. Go suck some Republican cock somewhere else. All the threads you have made in this forum are pointless dribble at best.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:29 PM on j-body.org
Hmm...try as I might....I was unable to find any posts I made with blind praise for Bush...or anyone for that matter.

I just have one question for you Harrington? Who took a piss on your cornflakes this morning.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:28 PM on j-body.org
OPEC over-producing oil, driving prices into the dirt, which made for cheap energy.

O noes!
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:31 PM on j-body.org
Could anyone explain how dirt-low prices benefits OPEC?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:09 PM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:Could anyone explain how dirt-low prices benefits OPEC?

They used to have a policy that they would produce enough oil to keep prices around $25/barrel to try and keep the worlds economy growing. Now they could pump at full capacity and it wouldn't have much effect upon prices. The reason prices are high now isn't because they aren't pumping enough oil. There are no oil shortages in the world like in the 70s. The reason for high oil prices is speculative trading. Oil is a commodity and as such it's price is set by what people are willing to pay. OPEC doesn't set prices, they just sell to the highest bidder.

OPEC doesn't want the US or any other major purchaser of their oil to go into a recession. Also the auto industry is under pressure to produce cars that don't use gas. That's definitely something that OPEC doesn't want.

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:03 AM on j-body.org
Pretty good history lesson, but it doesn't explain how dirt-low prices benefit OPEC. You said the reason for high prices is because they aren't pumping enough oil, then said the reason was because of speculative trading. Whichever one is correct, I don't care. I just want to know how dirt-low prices benefit the OPEC.

Friday, February 22, 2008 9:04 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:Pretty good history lesson, but it doesn't explain how dirt-low prices benefit OPEC.

Yes it did
Labotomi wrote:OPEC doesn't want the US or any other major purchaser of their oil to go into a recession. Also the auto industry is under pressure to produce cars that don't use gas. That's definitely something that OPEC doesn't want.

I never said that the high prices now are due to them not pumping enough oil. OPEC is helpless to do anything about the high prices in the commodities market. $25/barrel used to be standard, not dirt cheap. in the past they could control the pricing by controlling the supply. OPEC tries to output the amount of oil that the world needs and that's what there doing now. It's just that the people buying the oil are trying to outbid each other and that's driving oil prices up. Those prices of course being passed on to the consumers.

A growing worldwide economy benefits the mid eastern countries just like it does us. OPEC could have long ago cut back on oil production and driven prices through the roof, but they didn't because that would hasted a global recession.

Read for yourself
From Wikipedia

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:51 PM on j-body.org
Nobody said it benifeted OPEC, it helped out the economy.

Many countries agreed upon their production numbers to regulate the price, and then sold more anyway, which flooded the market.

O noes!
Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:24 PM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:Pretty good history lesson, but it doesn't explain how dirt-low prices benefit OPEC. You said the reason for high prices is because they aren't pumping enough oil, then said the reason was because of speculative trading. Whichever one is correct, I don't care. I just want to know how dirt-low prices benefit the OPEC.

You DO realize that OPEC wasn't the US's principle seller in the 80's, 90's or... even today right?

You DO realize that when OPEC was keeping production high, they could keep their commodity price moderate, but when they decide to cut production it would drive the commodity price up?

Do you even understand how the commodity market works Scott?

If you don't, I'll give you a fast primer:
- OPEC is one of 5 major oil producing nations/NGO's... the others being Russia, Canada, the USA, Venezuela.
- OPEC and Russia are currently the only countries currently trading their national oil production on commodity markets (Canada's production is covered under NAFTA and other unfair deals, but w/e, and Venezuela isn't selling oil to US Companies).
- OPEC doesn't set it's own selling prices, it sells to the highest bidder. Here's the basics about agricultural commodities, but the NYMEX uses the exact same process

On top of that, sustained economic growth due to improved fiscal responsibility and the peace dividend from the end of the cold war. Does that explain it enough for you?

BTW, if you're going to address someone Scott, at least do the courtesy of using their screen handle. Unless you want find out that turn-about is fair play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:25 PM

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search