Smoking Ban In US - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Smoking Ban In US
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:30 AM on j-body.org
Do you think there should be a United States inforced smoking ban on all resteraunts and bars? I do. I think that smokers shouldn't even smoke OUTDOORS. Just in the car, and home. Smokers piss me off. They are SOOO inconsiderate and rude. They just need to stop, it cant be THAT hard!

You Can Do The Robot With SB

http://assets.m80im.com/teams/techn9ne/tech_logo.jpg

Re: Smoking Ban In US
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:33 AM on j-body.org
I think it should be up to the different cities and states whether or not it's banned in the bars and such. Smokers don't really bother me too much though. I grew up with a smoker in the house. I just din't like how everything in the house reeked of cigarette smoke to the point people used to think I smoked.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:41 AM on j-body.org
Washington State just passed such a ban. Goes into effect 12-8

Clicky

As a smoker myself, I find this law to be, well, for lack of other words. I can no longer go to the Denny's or a similar restaurant and have a cig after my meal. During the spring/summer months, going outside to smoke does not bother me. Wintertime however...

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:51 AM on j-body.org
I for one don't give a rats ass if they ban it country wide... I would still smoke.

I am glad that people like me who smoke piss you off. I for one enjoy pissing off these non-smokers who think they are the best people in the world. I smoke because I enjoy it... if that means death in the long run... so be it.

Smoking is a risk... just like driving or riding a motorcycle. Death is a part of life... it's going to come sooner or later... it's unavoidable... so STFU and live your merry life away from us. We have already been constricted enough to atleast satisfy you. We can't smoke in most public places anymore... what else do you want...?

Weed is illegal isn't it??? How many people still smoke it on a regular though?? That's the exact same thing that will happen when they BAN smoking country wide... it still won't stop.

If you are going to think or in this case be a puppet and follow what you agree with, then why not go all out and say "I think they should ban drinking"... it causes it's own share of problems that lead to death.

My 0.02

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:52 AM on j-body.org
Fact: Smoke free bars get less business.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:59 AM on j-body.org
SiZZy wrote:Fact: Smoke free bars get less business.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:00 AM on j-body.org
...Blaze... wrote:I for one don't give a rats ass if they ban it country wide... I would still smoke.

I am glad that people like me who smoke piss you off. I for one enjoy pissing off these non-smokers who think they are the best people in the world. I smoke because I enjoy it... if that means death in the long run... so be it.

Smoking is a risk... just like driving or riding a motorcycle. Death is a part of life... it's going to come sooner or later... it's unavoidable... so STFU and live your merry life away from us. We have already been constricted enough to atleast satisfy you. We can't smoke in most public places anymore... what else do you want...?

Weed is illegal isn't it??? How many people still smoke it on a regular though?? That's the exact same thing that will happen when they BAN smoking country wide... it still won't stop.

If you are going to think or in this case be a puppet and follow what you agree with, then why not go all out and say "I think they should ban drinking"... it causes it's own share of problems that lead to death.

My 0.02

Your rights do not include subjecting others to the harmful effects of what you choose to do. If you want to kill yourself, so be it... but don't take me down too.
Fiction: Banning smoking will solve all your problems.

Maryland passed a no smoking law in 1995 that applies to "workplaces and indoor commercial areas". In other words if it's a business, mall, etc you can't smoke inside. The only exceptions to the rule are bars or any kind of club with a liquor license and restaurants with completely separate smoking sections. "Completely separate" to the point of partitions and separate ventilation systems. It even goes so far as to say that if you drive a vehicle for work (even YOUR OWN), you can't smoke inside it (it IS considered "the workplace"). That part of the law has even been nitpickingly enforced again PIZZA DELIVERY DRIVERS. Some Maryland counties have since made the law stricter to include bars and restaurants.

While I'm not a smoker anymore (quit in 2000) I could also give a rat's ass if you wanna give yourself cancer. Working in the bar business by choice makes it kinda difficult to complain about smoking with any credibility...lol. At the same time, I think these laws encroach a bit too far on people's rights. I mean when you have a state that is going to try to fine someone for smoking in their own car just because there happens to be a pizza on the passenger seat....that's just excessive. When a store like Faders (A CIGAR SHOP) is sued because they allowed someone to light up a cigar in their lounge, that's excessive.

I think it's all just a pretext to the states continuously raising the taxes on cigarettes. This way there's a law in place saying "look! we told you cigs are bad! they're so bad you can't even smoke indoors now!" Like I said, it's not gonna affect me since I don't smoke anymore...I just think it's over the top.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:04 AM on j-body.org
packrfan wrote:
...Blaze... wrote:I for one don't give a rats ass if they ban it country wide... I would still smoke.

My 0.02

Your rights do not include subjecting others to the harmful effects of what you choose to do. If you want to kill yourself, so be it... but don't take me down too.

No, my rights don't include subjecting others to the harmful effects of smoking... But like I said... what are you trying to avoid at the end? DEATH??? It's comming for you anyway... Can you tell me 100% that I will get cancer? NO you can't. If it happens it happens...

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:05 AM on j-body.org
Sounds good to me. I quite in 2000 also and other then them smelling like an ass I don't care if they smoke or not. I do think its funny tho that they don't realize just how bad it does make them stink! And to think at one time I used to smell like that ( shudder )

P.S. it really does make you reek.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:07 AM on j-body.org

Fact: All the smoke free bars I've been in (about a dozen across 3 or 4 states) have been jam packed each and every time I've been in one.

Now I realize that this may not be indicative of the whole, and it'd be stupid of me to make a broad generalization of the whole based on my limited experience...HOWEVER...it would also be stupid of you to make a broad generalization based on the inverse.

I have never minded smoking (used to be one)...if I go to a restaurant, I'll choose the non-smoking section and have never been bothered. It's as simple as that.

Both sides say the same thing...and well, it's kind of dumb: You [smokers/non smokers] just need to stay away from me if you don't like it.

Obviously we can't all just avoid each other...but as Bze said, banning smoking across the US would probably be among the most pointless options. Maybe since I used to smoke, I can see both sides of the argument (seeing as how I don't want to start again)...but I don't understand why non-smokers, as a general base, MUST have EVERYTHING non-smoking. If you don't want it in your house/car, then impose your rules on smokers when they are in your domain. If you are in public, stick to the non-smoking areas...good lord there are enough of them.

Again...it really IS as simple as that.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:07 AM on j-body.org

My 0.02

HA! wanna talk about a PUPPET! Who are you throwing your money away to? BROWN & WILLIAMS? OH YEA! Listen here.. You are a close minded biggoted ass hole. (as are most smokers) and non-smokers have the right to bitch. It's protected my MY AMENDED RIGHTS. Smoking, however.... Not so much

I Win

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:08 AM on j-body.org
The counties of Hennepin and Ramsey(Two largest counties, which include Minneapolis AND St. Paul) in Minnesota have banned smoking in ALL bars and restaraunts. Now, its not hard to go to a neighboring county to go to a restaraunt and smoke. Here, there have been several bars that are being close to being shut down because of the bans.

Personally, I dislike smoking, its a nasty, filthy, dangerous habit, but in the same sense, people associate bars with smoking. It should be left up to the businesses to have a non-smoking or smoking bar. I am sure the totally non-smoking bars would make just as much money, if not more than the smoking bars.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:08 AM on j-body.org
Fiend wrote:

Fact: All the smoke free bars I've been in (about a dozen across 3 or 4 states) have been jam packed each and every time I've been in one.

Now I realize that this may not be indicative of the whole, and it'd be stupid of me to make a broad generalization of the whole based on my limited experience...HOWEVER...it would also be stupid of you to make a broad generalization based on the inverse.

I have never minded smoking (used to be one)...if I go to a restaurant, I'll choose the non-smoking section and have never been bothered. It's as simple as that.

Both sides say the same thing...and well, it's kind of dumb: You [smokers/non smokers] just need to stay away from me if you don't like it.

Obviously we can't all just avoid each other...but as Bze said, banning smoking across the US would probably be among the most pointless options. Maybe since I used to smoke, I can see both sides of the argument (seeing as how I don't want to start again)...but I don't understand why non-smokers, as a general base, MUST have EVERYTHING non-smoking. If you don't want it in your house/car, then impose your rules on smokers when they are in your domain. If you are in public, stick to the non-smoking areas...good lord there are enough of them.

Again...it really IS as simple as that.

Nicely worded...

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:09 AM on j-body.org
...Blaze... wrote:I am glad that people like me who smoke piss you off. I for one enjoy pissing off these non-smokers who think they are the best people in the world.

1 if someone said that to me while i was at a bar, id probably hit them. thats just plain ignorance and being arrogant.

i really dont care if they ban it or not. i dont smoke but everyone in my family smokes plus every one of my friends. im the only one who doesnt smoke so it doesnt bother me at all.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:11 AM on j-body.org
@blaze... that is exactly what I was thinking (your first post), but coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

--
On a side note, I think this thread woulda belonged better in the war forum. SB hit a very opinionated subject.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:12 AM on j-body.org
Da Robot SB (SouthyATL) wrote:

My 0.02

HA! wanna talk about a PUPPET! Who are you throwing your money away to? BROWN & WILLIAMS? OH YEA! Listen here.. You are a close minded biggoted ass hole. (as are most smokers) and non-smokers have the right to bitch. It's protected my MY AMENDED RIGHTS. Smoking, however.... Not so much

I Win

Throw my money away? What the @!#$ are you, my financial advisor? Go @!#$ yourself. Like insurance isn't a flippin scam right? It's okay to throw $300+ dollars a month for no reason! I have been driving since I was 16. I am 25 now and not one accident or even a close call... *knock on wood* I've paid 10's of thousands of dollars for what???

I ENJOY smoking so I don't see it as throwing money... I would rather drive without insurance then save money by not smoking. Yes... I am an ass hole... and I love it.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:12 AM on j-body.org
as an ex smoker i have a different perspective, just like in any crowd there are bad apples. When i smoked i did not smoke when i visited people i knew that didn't smoke, even outside, i knew i would bring it back in the house with me. i never flicked the butts out the window while driving, emptying the ash tray became a chore just like laundry, dishes etc. as for smoking in bars, well theres nothing healthy about being in a bar to begin with other than socializing with other people. so it kill your liver, kill your lungs, get in a drunken fight over something stupid, wreck your car, none of these are healthy at all. (i used to drink like a fish too, man i no fun at all anymore) even when i did smoke I hated when people would flip a cigarette on the ground and let it burn. (all ya had to do was step on it, or put it in the ash tray , how hard was that?)

now for the flip side when I quit smoke (because I wanted to) i noticed how my house and car smelled. for about 3 months or so i hacked and coughed like I had a constant hairball. I ate more, and better food.old favorites were new again. the orange stains now stay gone from my fingers. but you know what I still mis it, its less now but in the morning I still have that craving, my hand instinctively reaches for the pack that isn't there. when i get stressed i really want one, its like being so hungry you think your pass out. I get moody much easier than I used to. is it related I don't know, but what I can tell you is I quit drinking like flipping a light switch, I quit smoking Nov 10th of 99, I bought myself a box of each step of "the patch" as a birthday present to myself.and stuck with it. it took the patch to get me off cigarettes, I got the flu the following January, that got me off" the patch". i get sick at least once a year now, the preceding 10 years that i smoked i got sick once with a flu that was going around.

I guess I can empathize with the people who do smoke because I was one of them. (I'm not saying second hand smoke is okay either )

I really couldn't afford to smoke these days, I have more responsibilities than I used to although that was not a deciding factor in me wanting to quit. I just decided that it was time to move on. if someone else wants you to quit its not the same as you yourself wanting it. no one can give you the will to do it, you have to want it yourself.

there is currently a ban in restaurants here, and about some bars are voluntarily smoke free. give it about 10 years and most places will be smoke free and it wouldn't be a big deal, it will just seem natural.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:15 AM on j-body.org
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]
...Blaze... wrote:I am glad that people like me who smoke piss you off. I for one enjoy pissing off these non-smokers who think they are the best people in the world.

1 if someone said that to me while i was at a bar, id probably hit them. thats just plain ignorance and being arrogant.

i really dont care if they ban it or not. i dont smoke but everyone in my family smokes plus every one of my friends. im the only one who doesnt smoke so it doesnt bother me at all.

The only reason I said that is because I've had my share of non-smokers come up to me and tell me crap about not smoking like they are angels of this world because they don't smoke. I am just sick of hearing crap. It's a choice... it's been banned in most public places so what is the problem now???

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:16 AM on j-body.org
i dont go complain because it doesnt bother me. the only thing that does bother me is when people are smoking right around where im eatting. thats the only thing i hate

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:17 AM on j-body.org
The problem is that it is a nuesance. I even see pregnate women smoking! When are you all going to realize you are slaves to a multi billion dollar company. You dont smoke because you want to, you smoke because you THINK you have to...! It's all in your head!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:21 AM on j-body.org
I've seen pregnent women drink too... is that any better? I doubt it... however, people will continue to do what they are use to... there is nothing anyone can do. When someone is ready to quit... they will. It cannot be forced. I will probably quit, but when I am ready and right now isn't it.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:23 AM on j-body.org
Drinking is bad too, but the effects of drinking on others arent NEARLY as bad as smoking. (with the out ruling of drunken driving). Second hand smoke is killing people. And causeing children to have lower IQ's. It's FACT people. I don't know. It just seems like it would be easy to stop cold turkey.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:25 AM on j-body.org
It's not dude... don't judge a smoker unless you've been in his/her shoes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search