Dumb questions about Throttle bodies!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dumb questions about Throttle bodies!!
Friday, July 14, 2006 6:01 PM
now i know for a fact that the 2.3L throttle bodies fit onto the 2200 2.2L, but will the 2.4L or the 2.2L ECO throttle bodies fit on to a 2200 2.2L with a adapter plate?

i want to either go with a 65MM or 70MM throttle body (from a ECO), so that is why i ask

PLEASE, I WANT ANSWERES ONLY AND NOT FLAMAGES OR OTHER BS!!

Kardain wrote:Tonite on Fox:
When X's attack

Re: Dumb questions about Throttle bodies!!
Friday, July 14, 2006 6:04 PM
The 2.4 and the 2.2 2200 are the same size. the 2.3 is a 56mm. I dont know about the eco.

And if you NA i wouldnt go 60+mm.

Friday, July 14, 2006 8:59 PM
so all 2.3's have 56mm throttlebodies?

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:03 PM
correct me if i am wrong but i think only the HO TB is 56mm
Friday, July 14, 2006 9:14 PM
Friday, July 14, 2006 11:26 PM
yes all the 2.3l lo and ho have 56 mm t/bs but iam not sure about the 1995 2.3l cuz it had a lot of things diff then the other 2.3s in 95 just get any t/b off a 94 and down 2.3l and you will be fine.
but iam not sure about the 95 2.3l

Paul

Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:16 AM
all 2.3's have 56mm TB's. and the eco has a 58mm.

Ill make a sig someday
Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:27 AM
why not have your stock one bored out to whatever size you want?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:30 AM
ok, back to my ORGINAL QUESTION!

will the 2.4L or the 2.2L ECO throttle bodies fit on to a 2200 2.2L with a adapter plate?

When X's attack

Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:35 AM
And to answer the same question AGAIN:

Quote:

The 2.4 and the 2.2 2200 are the same size. the 2.3 is a 56mm. I dont know about the eco.

And if the eco is a 58mm like stated above, where the hell are you getting these numbers from?

Quote:

i want to either go with a 65MM or 70MM throttle body (from a ECO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:36 AM

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:58 AM
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:And to answer the same question AGAIN:

Quote:

And if the eco is a 58mm like stated above, where the hell are you getting these numbers from?

Quote:

You say your answering his question AGAIN but you haven't answered it once. I don't think he gives a rats ass about the bore sizes. his question is will it fit with an adapter plate.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Ecotec TB will fit anything but the Ecotecs. It's not just about the bolt holes lining up it's also about the calibrated IAC and vacuum passages that are different in each TB.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:34 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:And to answer the same question AGAIN:

Quote:

Quote:

You say your answering his question AGAIN but you haven't answered it once. I don't think he gives a rats ass about the bore sizes. his question is will it fit with an adapter plate.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Ecotec TB will fit anything but the Ecotecs. It's not just about the bolt holes lining up it's also about the calibrated IAC and vacuum passages that are different in each TB.

It seems you have issues reading and answering as well. I answered the first part of the question, not the eco part. You on the other hand Dont rightly know anything about the eco, absolutely, and did not even try to answer the first part of the question

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:35 AM

Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:02 PM
ok to do just what Hypsy did (answer his question) NO THE ECO WONT WORK BECAUSE THE 2.3, 2200, AND 2.4 ALL HAVE VACUUM PASSAGES AND DIFFERENT IAC CALABRATIONS

so yes he did answer his question

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:32 PM
ok, so with a 2.4L TB it will bolt on with a adapter plate, correct!?

the reason i ask is cuz i've seen way bigger TB bore sizes made for 2.4L & ECO's then the 2200's!

El fuego (the grounded one): your a total fawk tard! you didnt even come close to answering my question, my question was reguarding "ADAPTER PLATES" and nothing else, no bore size, nothing to that effect, i wanted to know if they would work if i was to "USE A ADAPTER PLATE"!

When X's attack

Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:44 PM
LOL fawk tard? If your really intersted in some form of real racing, or really anyhting in order to get any affect with an adaptor plate, dont mod a 2200. Your wasting your money.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:25 PM
downforce cavlier, first off you list your car as a '96 w/ the 2.2L. If that is the car you are reffering to the TB is cast integrally with the upper plenum. You cannot change the TB unless you machine the TB off the plenum and use an adaptor plate. You would also need to fill in the gap left by the IAC. An easier way would be to bore the TB on the Plenum and get a throttle blade made to fit or use the 2.3L throttle blade.

Mantapart has an upper plenum and you can use the TB of your choice. There's a couple of problems doing that, one being if they would ever deliver it and if they even still make it.

You could also build your own intake plenum and/or runners, if you or someone you know, can TIG weld. Get your parts from Ross Machine Racing.

As a side note, a TB larger than 56mm on a 2.2L would decrease performance on a N/A motor. You just don't have enough motor to support the airflow that a TB that big produces. It would kill the low end torque, in the end making your car slower. If you are going to boost, then you could support a TB that big.

I just checked you profile again, I see you just now listed a 2000 w/ a 2200. Now that poses a differnt situation. The 2200 has a composite intake, I dont think it will handle a TB bigger than 56mm. I'm not sure on this though as I'm working with a 2.2L.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:33 PM
MadJack wrote:downforce cavlier, first off you list your car as a '96 w/ the 2.2L. If that is the car you are reffering to the TB is cast integrally with the upper plenum. You cannot change the TB unless you machine the TB off the plenum and use an adaptor plate. You would also need to fill in the gap left by the IAC. An easier way would be to bore the TB on the Plenum and get a throttle blade made to fit or use the 2.3L throttle blade.

Mantapart has an upper plenum and you can use the TB of your choice. There's a couple of problems doing that, one being if they would ever deliver it and if they even still make it.

You could also build your own intake plenum and/or runners, if you or someone you know, can TIG weld. Get your parts from Ross Machine Racing.

As a side note, a TB larger than 56mm on a 2.2L would decrease performance on a N/A motor. You just don't have enough motor to support the airflow that a TB that big produces. It would kill the low end torque, in the end making your car slower. If you are going to boost, then you could support a TB that big.

I just checked you profile again, I see you just now listed a 2000 w/ a 2200. Now that poses a differnt situation. The 2200 has a composite intake, I dont think it will handle a TB bigger than 56mm. I'm not sure on this though as I'm working with a 2.2L.

the 2000 2200 2.2L will be relocated into one of my 96's, custom making a intake manifold for the 2200 isnt a problem [i just wanted to know if a 2.4L or ECO TB would work on a 2200 with a adapter plate, so i guess i'll be ordering a 65MM 2.4L TB then]

When X's attack

Monday, July 17, 2006 6:54 PM
downforce cavalier - the 2.4L LD9 Quad4 engine uses the same exact tb as the 2.2L LN2 2200 engine. It's a 52mm stock bore on both tb's, and they can be interchanged without an adapter plate. so putting a 2.4L LD9 Quad4 throttle body on a 2.2L LN2 2200 engine obviously won't be an upgrade, just a replacement.

the 2.2L L61 Ecotec tb has a 58mm bore and has a different bolt pattern than the other 2 engines. although the bigger bore would make more power, you'd probably be better off having your stock tb bored out rather than machining an adapter.

hope that helped.

anyone knowledgable, please correct me if im wrong. and el fuego, please don't bother, youre posts are damn near useless.
Monday, July 17, 2006 7:00 PM
...and now that i reread the post, im relizing youre talking about the 2.4L LE5 Ecotec motor, not the quad4.

in this case itd be the same as with the L61 Ecotec, except worse. this tb is "drive by wire", which makes it almost incompatible with your engine since it uses throttle cables. you'd need an assload of customization to make it work. pretty sure its the same bolt patern as the other Ecotec throttle bodies, though. if i were you id just swap in a 2.3 quad4 tb and have it bored out furthur.
Monday, July 17, 2006 7:55 PM
downforce cavalier wrote:now i know for a fact that the 2.3L throttle bodies fit onto the 2200 2.2L, but will the 2.4L or the 2.2L ECO throttle bodies fit on to a 2200 2.2L with a adapter plate?

i want to either go with a 65MM or 70MM throttle body (from a ECO), so that is why i ask

PLEASE, I WANT ANSWERES ONLY AND NOT FLAMAGES OR OTHER BS!!

thats not that dumb of a question, some guy came in my work three days ago and wanted to know what a throttle body was, and if it was broken if that would harm performance of the car.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:30 AM
I have a 2200 and all i had to make was a better sealing gasket for the 2.3 TB. i didn't need an adaptor plate. also instead of 3 vac taps i only had 2 so i only needed an extra tee. my swap isn't working because one of the bolts broke off. and i can't get it out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search