dealer didnt tell u car has been accidented??? - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: dealer didnt tell u car has been accidented???
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:22 PM
My 02' didn't have a trunk release button......just keyless entry.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:49 AM
Quote:

One place in Modesto CA got busted for selling used cars that they welded together from wrecked cars. I think they have to let you know.

Actually it's illegal to sell those vehicles in the US. I believe the standards are as long as 3/4's or 2/3's of the car isn't wrecked for example say the front end of the vehicle from the bottom of the windshield forewards is wrecked it can be replaced and then sold legally but if the front end is wrecked all the way to the B pillar and the entire front half of the car has to be replaced it can not be sold legally. Always with used cars it is buyer beware, dealers in most states do not have to tell you the car has been in an accident and even if you get a carfax report depending on your state you will most likely not get a dime back from the dealer.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:53 PM
I know how it is man, and i dont think u can do anything about it. My car looked fine when i bought it. But when i started to do my body work, i took off the passenger side molding and there holes drilled all the way down the door, behind where the side molding used to be. The holes were drilled so they could pull back the metal and reform it. I was kinda pissed when i found it, cuz i had to do a lot of work to patch over those holes.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:49 PM
i feel that. about 2 years after i got my car i did some really extreme cleaning and found little bits of safety glass under the seats. had no idea.
Friday, March 11, 2005 3:03 AM
Tommy - You can do alot about it. Don't forget we live in Quebec. First thing would be to go to the SAAQ. Ask a report about the car. they will tell you what happend with the car. The dealer HAD to tell you about the accident if it was a major repair. What you can do too is call the consumer protection association(it's free, they have a 1-800 number). They will tell you what you can do. If the SAAQ report that the car was in an accident, you can get and inspection from a body shop to measure the car to see if it's straight and if everything is fine. Or get a big inspection with the SAAQ.

Where did you buy your car?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, March 11, 2005 8:48 AM
When i removed my pin striping because it looked gay, on the passenger side front door somone had clear coated over the PS and i was like WTF? My car had also gotten broken into on the same door and got it fixed a yr before i removed the PS so i thought i was the body shop but when went back and questioned, there was a new manager and got it fixed. But i think mine has had some work done aswell.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:37 AM
A dealership is not required to mention about a vehicles prior use. But it its required in certain states like MD, KS, CA, and others
Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:42 AM
any reason you brought up a 2 year old post?

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:29 PM
check again, it was 3 years

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:06 PM
Its easter, it seems Jesus was not alone when he came back from the dead.
Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:14 PM
yeh i c that everyone has been saying check carfax, but i kno of a few ppl that have gotten into an accident, and rather than turn it into the insurance company they just pay for it outright...especially ppl that have a high deductable, or previous tickets/wrecks/etc

ok i kno that the topic has came up alot.. but how hard is it to swap a 96 2200 or 2.2 for the 2.2 eco.. and how much price wise am i looking at paying?it has an 5 spd isuzu tranny

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:03 AM
best thread jack of the year nominee

worst use of the search feature as well

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:28 AM
I don't know what the laws are in the States (I am assuming that's where you are)

However, I was sold a 97 Pathfinder, in 2006, without being told that it had been rebuilt after a write-off. Hell, it was even written on the ownership, I just didn't look.

When I first found out about this, 6 months after buying it. I called OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) and within two days, the dealer had bought the Pathfinder back off me, for the full price I paid for it.

So yes, there may be something you can do.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:39 AM
spikej wrote:
Quote:

One place in Modesto CA got busted for selling used cars that they welded together from wrecked cars. I think they have to let you know.

Actually it's illegal to sell those vehicles in the US. I believe the standards are as long as 3/4's or 2/3's of the car isn't wrecked for example say the front end of the vehicle from the bottom of the windshield forewards is wrecked it can be replaced and then sold legally but if the front end is wrecked all the way to the B pillar and the entire front half of the car has to be replaced it can not be sold legally. Always with used cars it is buyer beware, dealers in most states do not have to tell you the car has been in an accident and even if you get a carfax report depending on your state you will most likely not get a dime back from the dealer.

Its not illegal to sell a previously wrecked car. Nor is it wrong morally.
Its not illegal to sell a car with a salvage title. Nor is it wrong morally.

As a consumer, you may not be happy about buying one, but there is still nothing wrong with them. Although I have to say in this modern world of shoddy, unskilled, incompetent work quality, I would have serious reservations myself.

The possibilty of a shop getting busted for repairing than selling wrecked cars has probably more to do with what boils down to tagging cars (swapping VINs) than reparing them.

When I used to go to insurance auctions I would see many cars with light hits sold as salvage title and many cars with insane damage being sold with clean titles. Its almost a no brainer then to see a guy buy one of the same in both categories and make them into one car. Then he will sell it under the clean title because its worth more. This is where it begins to be illegal.

But now I have to say that this whole post was started by someone with simple buyers remorse rather than a real issue.
Did you even look at the car before you bought it?
Quote:

i have a 97 z and it was said it the ad fully equipped ..i got the car it was in ok shape..but i noticed it didnt have power mirrors..but when i took out the door panel i saw the wires for it..secondly some weird stuff are missing ..like the trunk release switch ..usually next to the drivers seat..not there..and its really loud inside..like horribly insilated

You say its in okay shape.
Then you say it has weird stuff missing. They're know as options. Some cars don't have them. And yes, wiring may still be there for them. Its cheaper to build one harness then 16 different ones for options. To be funny, you just said THE AD was fully equipped, and nothing about the car. But the fact is that "fully equipped" has no defined meaning. It simply means the car has equipment. It does say the car has all options.

What you do not say is that there is any places you can see that are repaired. Things like overspray and weld evidence and wierd body gaps. You do not say that there is a hole in the dash where a trunk switch should be.

Roadnoise, many things can cause it and alot of them have nothing to do with an accident. But this is also another example of a decision a buyer needs to make before paying the money. This is the sort of thing a person notices during a test drive and then decides to walk away.

sig not found
Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:33 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:That trunk release button was started in 2003. Before that only cars that do not have keyless entry had a cable-pull system on the floor beside the driver's side seat.

Definitely sounds fishy though. If the report comes up clean, at least the dealer is mostly off the hook as they can claim they didn't know. If it IS on the report then they should have known and I expect you should be able to return it if you choose.

Wrong, my 2002 cavalier had a push button for the trunk located under neath the dash.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:11 AM
Jingleheimer Smith wrote:yeh i c that everyone has been saying check carfax, but i kno of a few ppl that have gotten into an accident, and rather than turn it into the insurance company they just pay for it outright...especially ppl that have a high deductable, or previous tickets/wrecks/etc

And folks, this is why it's crucial to report motor vehicle collisions to police...

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Monday, March 24, 2008 5:45 PM
3 year old thread FTL.

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:15 AM
It never ceases to amaze me at when someone reposts a topic everyone jumps all over their a*ses for not using the search. And that they are reposting.
and then you get someone that actually USES the search and doesn't repost they are ridiculed for bringing back a post.

I swear some people have nothing better to do than bitch about anything and everything.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:46 AM
In 2002 they started putting the powered button that popped the trunk on our cars. I'm not sure if you only got that button if you had key less entry or not, but I'd assume because the trunk popper solenoid would already be there.

From 1995 to 2001 there was a lever located on the left hand side of the driver's seat on the floor. This was an OPTION. You couldn't have this option if you had key less entry WITH the trunk popper button on the key fob. That being because the handle worked a pull cable, and you couldn't have both the pull cable and the electric solenoid (because they would be in the same spot on the trunk lid).

As for the power mirrors... my 97' sunfire 2dr, had no power options at all, but the harness and plugs were there for power mirrors. My 00' has power locks, and also has the harness and plugs for the mirrors. I think it was probably just a standard thing GM did to make the assembly line process more efficient.

Leave it to GM to make things complicated.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:26 PM
Benny B wrote:

From 1995 to 2001 there was a lever located on the left hand side of the driver's seat on the floor. This was an OPTION. You couldn't have this option if you had key less entry WITH the trunk popper button on the key fob. That being because the handle worked a pull cable, and you couldn't have both the pull cable and the electric solenoid (because they would be in the same spot on the trunk lid).

P

I call

My 1996 Sunfire GT that is sitting in my very driveway as I type, has both, I REPEAT, BOTH the Cable Lever Trunk Release & Keyless Trunk release button on my Keyless entry fob.

Want pics? lol

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:58 PM
I do! Only because I don't understand how the pull cable thing on the trunk latch, and popper solenoid would fit... they're in the same spot!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search