is this a scam? - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: is this a scam?
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:23 PM
Just Dave (2 UNIQ) English! wrote:and id cash the check and as soon it get cleared in my account of my bank

I figure you are just being facetious, but just in case anyone is seriously considering trying to deposit a fake check/money order, you will pay for it! Most banks will charge you a fee if a transaction is returned NSF or fraudulent. The fee usually ranges between $20 and $50. So, it is not worth even trying to deposit the check, you will be losing money to your bank in the end.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 12:53 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:I don't really know what you just said... but just because the money is in your account, doesn't mean the cheque won't be discovered to be fraudulant in a couple weeks. When that happens, the bank will take the money back. You can't argue that they cleared it and the money is now yours.

Well...banking laws are a bit odd. They have 10 days to determine if it's fraudulent or not. If they catch it after that, there's nothing they can legally do. They can, however, TELL you that there's things they can do about it legally, attempt to charge you for it, etc, etc. You could, in theory, take them to court over it, but it probably wouldn't be worth the legal expenses. The laws in your state may vary, that's how federal and state law works up here in Maine.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:07 AM
its a scam. I have fell for it once not on here though but its not hard to fake a check or money order. I also got in trouble by the police because I was the one who cashed it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search