newbie--two daughters--two j-bodies--questions! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
newbie--two daughters--two j-bodies--questions!
Friday, July 25, 2008 1:39 PM
Hello all. I'm new to j-bodies. Bought my older daughter a 95 Sunfire coupe a few months ago, and we really liked it, so on her 17th birthday (two days ago) I bought her an 03 Cavalier coupe. Now the 95 is going to be my younger daughter's (15) until she turns 17, then I'll probably get her a newer one also, or have the prior front end damage fixed.

Questions on the 95 Sunfire:

On the 95, whenever the "check engine" light comes on, the electric fan is running, and will stay running until the car is shut off. The temp never gets hot, either. I replaced the coolant temp sensor, and it still does it. Why?

Also, the "check oil" light comes on the first time you cycle the ignition, but if you cycle it again before starting it, it won't come on again. Are these common problems, or do I need another computer? Unfortunately, I bought a 97 Cav computer and entire engine and headlight wiring harness off ebay before I knew they weren't compatible.

Questions on the 03 Cavalier:

She's keeping the stock AM/FM/CD player until she has enough to upgrade, but her stock 4x6's are toast. The rear stock 6x9's are 10 ohm, so I'm assuming the fronts are 8 or 10 ohm. I'm really leery about running 4 ohm fronts on the stock radio. Is the output impedence of the factory unit 10 ohms, or has anyone checked on this? Anyone run 4 ohm speakers without burning their amp?

Thanks, and maybe I'll get them to create accounts, also!

Re: newbie--two daughters--two j-bodies--questions!
Friday, July 25, 2008 1:44 PM
I got the factory speakers from my 03 sitting in my garage.

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:13 PM
Tinkles wrote:I got the factory speakers from my 03 sitting in my garage.

What do you want for them?

Oh, on the "check oil" light, if you just start the 95, the light will stay on the entire time the car is running. If you cycle the ignition on and off twice THEN start, the light won't come back on at all. Confusing...
Friday, July 25, 2008 2:20 PM
Are you sure they are 10 ohm? I got my door panels off i can go check in a little bit. But anyways ive run 4ohm speakers on my factory deck/amp.

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:22 PM
Edward Smith wrote:

Just pay shipping.

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:28 PM
Stephen wrote:Are you sure they are 10 ohm? I got my door panels off i can go check in a little bit. But anyways ive run 4ohm speakers on my factory deck/amp.

No, not sure the doors are 8 or 10 ohm, there wasn't a rating on the magnet, but the part number is 16220119 (iirc).
Friday, July 25, 2008 2:29 PM
Tinkles wrote:
Edward Smith wrote:

Just pay shipping.

Let me know, and I'll paypal you for the shipping.
Friday, July 25, 2008 4:23 PM
4 ohm speakers run fine off the deck... im running Sound Stream Tarantulas...

The check oil light sounds like the oil pressure sending unit is bad. The check oil light measures the oil pressure, when you are low on oil and you take a sharp turn, the oil pump runs dry for that second and the check oil light comes on, and goes back off...

So being that its always on tells me the sending unit is bad

as for the cooling fan, check the relay, either 1) its broken and locked in "always on" mode, or 2) someone before you owned the vehicle hardwired it on to ignition.

as for your CEL ... since it is 1995, its OBD-1 ... you can try your local auto parts store to see if they have OBD 1 scanner... however if not, you'll have to go to the stealership to get the code scans...

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:32 PM
YEAH, 4 OHMS ARE FINE IN THE DOOR.

MY FRONTS ARE IN THE LANDFILL SOMEWHERE, OTHERWISE ID SEND THEM TO YOU.
I CAN READ OBD 1 CODES, BUT SOMETHING TELLS ME YOU ARE NO WHERE NEAR ME....SO WONT DO MUCH GOOD.

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:37 PM
My second gen may be coming your way whenever i replace the wiring harness....

CEL has been on since i rebuilt the motor

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:42 PM
on the 95... there may be some electrical issues from the previous owner, or the ecu may be showing its age. I'm not well versed in the older electrical systems, but replacing the ecu may be a good place to start. most yards should have it for relatively cheap ($50)

as for the radio, here's some advice:

aftermarket speakers will work fine with the stock deck. if you order stuff from crutchfield.com they usually throw in extra tidbits that make installation a LOT easier. I know they gave me speaker wire adapters so I could plug my speakers in to the factory harness... no cutting or splicing necessary.

the other thing to watch out for (if you ever replace the factory deck for an aftermarket one) is EVERYONE will try to sell you this $70 item that will supposedly let your car run because the stock radio runs the engine.. IT IS BS!! don't be fooled.

the only thing you lose if you remove the factory radio is the door chime.. which warns you when the keys are in the ignition, the lights are left on, the door is ajar. THATS IT. They're trying to sell a $70 door chime to you.. useless.

There's a different wiring harness you can buy from crutchtfield for saturns that is plug and play.. the only thing you have to give the radio is a 12V power source and you're good. Lenko knows the number off hand, but I'll post again if I can find the p/n and remember to post it here.

good luck and welcome to jbodies!

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:55 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:the other thing to watch out for (if you ever replace the factory deck for an aftermarket one) is EVERYONE will try to sell you this $70 item that will supposedly let your car run because the stock radio runs the engine.. IT IS BS!! don't be fooled.

the only thing you lose if you remove the factory radio is the door chime.. which warns you when the keys are in the ignition, the lights are left on, the door is ajar. THATS IT. They're trying to sell a $70 door chime to you.. useless.

Close... couple of the guys around here didnt believe it either and the airbags randomly deployed. The local GM Dealer confirmed that the radio has something to do with airbag systems... (i cant remember what exactly as its been a few years)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 25, 2008 4:58 PM

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:52 PM
If the CEL light is on, the fan will stay on.. I know this from my 02 cavalier I owned. CEL puts the car into "limp" mode, and that's one of the drawbacks.

Quote:

Watching you parade around my bedroom in a thong was a little like watching sea lions mate.

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:41 PM
JBO Chat User: SpeedlineZ wrote:
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:the other thing to watch out for (if you ever replace the factory deck for an aftermarket one) is EVERYONE will try to sell you this $70 item that will supposedly let your car run because the stock radio runs the engine.. IT IS BS!! don't be fooled.

Close... couple of the guys around here didnt believe it either and the airbags randomly deployed. The local GM Dealer confirmed that the radio has something to do with airbag systems... (i cant remember what exactly as its been a few years)

I've been driving my car for 5 years and never once had a problem with my airbag system, i pulled the factory stereo 3 days after getting my car.

the dealership pinned it on the radio to get out of warranty service and probably made those people pay for repairs.

I also have several friends who have been driving their jbodies with aftermarket stereos without that part and have never once had a problem.

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:31 PM
I work in an install shop and I've talked to literally hundreds of people about this, including a rep from DAP (A company that makes the "chime" module) and the airbags are NOT interconnected with the radio. It's against safety standards.

4 ohm will work fine, but I'm guessing from the age of your daughters the speakers are going to be blown sooner than later.

A CD deck would make a great birthday present, but it sounds like your girl is looking into it anyway. An aftermarket deck will get to more "listenable" volumes without heating up speakers, as opposed to the factory stereo.

The fan will ALWAYS turn on if the check engine light is on. Figure out what's causing the CEL and your fan will turn off, almost guaranteed.

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:37 PM
The CEL may not come on at all if it's cool outside, but when the temp gauge gets to normal, the CEL usually comes on, and the fan is then running. Limp mode makes sense. I'll have the codes read.

Both of them are gonna have to stick with the factory stereos, but the 95 CD deck with equalizer is crap, and I got it out of a junk yard. Took out the cassette deck with equalizer. Volume often goes south for no reason, and digital display reads martian sometimes. I'll trade it for another he's got. It didn't come with rear speakers either. PO pulled them, so I'm going to get the factory 6x9 plastic brackets out of a junked car and find some 10 ohm 6x9s, or maybe some aftermarket ones to get her by.

Here's the new owners. Can you tell which one doesn't like having her picture taken?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/mason-albums-girls-picture1047-ryann-1.jpg
http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/mason-albums-girls-picture1048-tabitha-1.jpg
Friday, July 25, 2008 7:41 PM
O.K., I'm still figuring this out...

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:27 PM
use photobucket.
also welcome to the org

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:41 PM
odd... idk then

as for limp mode.... odd again... My CEL stays on due to rear O2.... my fan turns on and off as normal... same deal with my 93 which is OBD 1 (as her 95) and it turns on and off per temperature (and who knows what codes its throwing)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:19 PM
i would sue that stealership

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:15 AM
my buddy took his radio in and best buy told him$120 for a harness that would keep his factory radio in the trunk....lol

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:37 AM
JBO Chat User: SpeedlineZ wrote:

No need. I have the $20 wiring harness in my 99, and in the brothers old 04. No problem for YEARS.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:50 AM
Sound shops just need to say this

Quote:

Why are the factory radios being relocated when installing an aftermarket stereo?
Some vehicles have chimes built into the radio. When ever the key is left in the key cylinder or parking lights left on, the radio sends audio chimes to the speakers or to amplifier (if equipped). If the radio is removed, there is no way for chimes to be heard. Seat belts are part of the chimes also, and if not retained could result in the driver not using the seatbelt. The retailer installing an aftermarket stereo could be liable for injuries if the driver was to get into an accident and not wearing a seatbelt.

Saturday, August 02, 2008 11:23 PM
I think the irony with the $70 chime, in my case, is that it does not work - yet somehow the $10 Scosche harness works like a charm.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:26 PM
i bought a 15 dollar wire harness from autozone and hooked up my aftermarket kenwood and still have my chime ( ignition in,doors open, interior and headlights on.) i just installed a cd player in my friends impala and he went to a audio seller and he tried to sell him a piece that was like 100 dollars and said he has to have it because his stereo is hooked up to his computer and will ruin everything lol. I had to take it back and get his damn money back and go to autozone and got his for 10, hooked it and works perfect.

Now if you have the factory stereo that tells you what song is on and what the stations name is and all that lazy BS then you do have to pay some extra cash for that harness idk how much because i think its stupid and a huge waste of money. hell the stations will tell you what they just played lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search