Worst motors of all time: 2.2L I-4 - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Worst motors of all time: 2.2L I-4
Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:45 AM
Bah... another 2200 sucks thread. Way to be original

I do give credit to the few of those who have actually made a 2200 fast - be they few and far between. The 2200 is an economy motor - not a performance platform. Good for a daily driver, I guess. It's cheaper to just toss an Ecotec in it's place... start modding with more HP and TQ to begin with.

Now that I've been here, I know the real story... most inline 4's suck stock. The L67 is a much nicer stock motor I can't wait to spend some time making this one faster..

...j

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 5:46 PM
the 2200 is an economy motor not a performance platform, since when is the J even in it's most basic form a performance platform it's point a to point b transportation so you don't have to walk. It's not a corvette not a porsche not some lightning rod that can do 0 to 60 in less than a second it's a 4 cylinder economy car, be it the 2200 Ohv the 2.4 the 2.2 ecotec unless you spend a ton of money and make it that way yourself the basic premise of the car remains the same a grocery getter on 4 wheels that doesn't use a ton of gas. Btw John if i misunderstood your post i apologize wasn't sure if you were talking about the motor itself or J's in general.
Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:42 PM
You guys need to quit beating on PJ. It's a shame how one minute everyone that has posted in this thread respected him and now all is lost because he ranted a little on the BASE engine.

Sad. Him doing the "leg work" on the Ecotec swap inspired me to do the same. Now you guys toss him out!

I'm not one of the ones who hang on his every word and think he's God, but come on. You got to give respect where it's due!

I, myself, had some overheating problems with the 2200 at just 72K miles. Replaced the thermostat and it seamed to go away for a little while. Then the shutting off began. And, finally it popped at around 76K miles.

By that point, I was almost glad that I could get that motor out. And honestly, I planned on putting a 2200 back in, but at the last minute decided against it from fear that my car would go down again. Having a broke car that you're still making payments on sucks.

Yanked a junk yard motor, replaced plugs and oil, and haven't had one problem since. No shut offs. No smoking. Starts first time, every time.

I know this whole post will do nothing for the die hard stubborn 2200 fans, but I thought we were all brothers. Let him rant. Pick him back up again. And let it go.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:52 PM
Earl, i'm not tossing anyone out but i know all about the making payments on part i feel ya there i still owe about $3,000 on my 04 .
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:07 AM
Jeez i thought we had enough of the OHV vs ecotec, not the magazines are contributing too? lol

eco>OHV...its just progress. its not personal, its not bigotry or narcissism or anything like that. I would never say no one should mod an OHV because there's a superior platform - sometimes the underdog is more fun.

Friday, September 12, 2008 1:02 PM
John Lenko wrote:Bah... another 2200 sucks thread. Way to be original

I do give credit to the few of those who have actually made a 2200 fast - be they few and far between. The 2200 is an economy motor - not a performance platform. Good for a daily driver, I guess. It's cheaper to just toss an Ecotec in it's place... start modding with more HP and TQ to begin with.

Now that I've been here, I know the real story... most inline 4's suck stock. The L67 is a much nicer stock motor I can't wait to spend some time making this one faster..

...j

Bah, the 3800 is a heavy ass, outdated boat anchor.

The 60 degree v6 2.8/3.1/3400/3500/3900/etc is where its at. Still being developed and fine tuned to this day, after the 3800 has been scrapped. Hell, the 3800 required a blower to out power its little brother engines towards the end of the its run.

On topic, my experience with the 2.2 has been very pleasent. Whether it be in my roomies 91 Beretta that has saw 6800 rpm on numerous occasions, only to get converted to a 94 spec head and MPFI from TBI, or in my old and long dead 94 base Cavy with a 5 speed that ran like a scalded dog. If I was in that car I was beating the @!#$ out of it, red lining every shift, banging down shifts, whatever... it took it all. Until my dad borrowed it to run to the gas station one day and the tranny exploded lol. Yup, I killed an old isuzu.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:33 AM
Considering the previous owner of my recently deceased '95 2.2L Cav did little to nothing to the engine for the first 265,000kms (I got it with a new timing chain cause the old one blew on the highway, only it's seventh change of oil and, probably, original coolant from the looks of it). I tried to keep it alive as long as possible, it went to 364,000kms and then blew a bearing. Pretty darn good for a poorly cared for engine. I have no wories about my '01's 2.2L w/ 91,000kms and a good service record.
Sunday, September 14, 2008 11:55 AM
In my opinion, the 2200 is a very reliable little engine. It may not have a ton of power, but it will last damn near forever if well taken care of.

My dad's 2001 automatic 2200 powered S10 has 210,xxx miles on it and he's never had any major problems with it. It runs like a champ.

My mom's 1998 automatic 2200 powered Sunfire Sedan has 190,xxx miles on it and she's never had any major problems with it. It also runs like a champ, but unfortunately is starting to see quite a bit of rust .

Both of the above vehicles were purchased brand new by my parents and have had the oil changed every 3000 miles, regular tune ups, maintenance, etc.

My 2002 automatic 2200 powered Sunfire Sedan just turned over 60,000 miles and after seeing how well our other two 2200s have done, there's no doubt in my mind I will have mine for many years to come.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:29 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:You guys need to quit beating on PJ. It's a shame how one minute everyone that has posted in this thread respected him and now all is lost because he ranted a little on the BASE engine.

Sad. Him doing the "leg work" on the Ecotec swap inspired me to do the same. Now you guys toss him out!

I'm not one of the ones who hang on his every word and think he's God, but come on. You got to give respect where it's due!

I, myself, had some overheating problems with the 2200 at just 72K miles. Replaced the thermostat and it seamed to go away for a little while. Then the shutting off began. And, finally it popped at around 76K miles.

By that point, I was almost glad that I could get that motor out. And honestly, I planned on putting a 2200 back in, but at the last minute decided against it from fear that my car would go down again. Having a broke car that you're still making payments on sucks.

Yanked a junk yard motor, replaced plugs and oil, and haven't had one problem since. No shut offs. No smoking. Starts first time, every time.

I know this whole post will do nothing for the die hard stubborn 2200 fans, but I thought we were all brothers. Let him rant. Pick him back up again. And let it go.

Oh give me a fing break!!!! Sorry I'm getting older and get tired of the crap, so I'm going to say somethings.

I have had (and still do) respect for PJ on things he has done, but he did not create, or start the Ecotec swap's for J's. His write up was not the first even. his write up even had mis informantion in that I have posted about before to correct. Some people make people on this site out to be gods for doing things others did first. If the people of the org were nto soo fiing lazy his write up would not be needed, because the info could be found on this site before he did his write up.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:47 PM
Quote:

Regardless, I've since corrected the daily driver problem by selling the OHV beater car, and I'm now driving a 2004 coupe as a daily.

LOL, thanks PJ! This how his 2200 piece of @!#$ looks now, in port-a-potty green:

I can't wait until it strands me by the side of the road for the first time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search