new email notifications, not a fan... - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new email notifications, not a fan...
Friday, October 03, 2008 7:43 PM
I noticed the new notifications. The poster's user name is no longer the sender with their email, its now from the JBO. Can't say that I am a fan. I liked being able to see who it was that posted so I could just delete it or read it without having to go into it. Not to mention that if I had something to add to the poster than didn't need to be sent to everyone or just wanted to quick say what's up, I could just reply to the email. No more. I'm not so sure this is a step forward in JBO history.

Whatever you do dave, please, for the love of everything holy, and especially everything that isn't. Please, don't ever change it so that we have to come back to the site, everytime we get an email. I hate it everytime I see.

Quote:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

I don't know about anyone else, but its the main reason why I am still an active member. Most forums its just too annoying trying to keep up with the threads and I give up.

Anyone wanting to complain that I wrote this and am not a paying member, stuff it. Its more of a suggestion than a complaint. I posted it in the forums cause I am curious as to everyone else's thoughts on it as well.

As always, thanks for still caring and updating the site dave, altho you have moved on.

Re: new email notifications, not a fan...
Friday, October 03, 2008 8:00 PM
It does add a layer of anonymity that maintains consistency with your profile.

I have my e-mail addy set to only premium can view (I think)...

By changing the e-mail notifications, not everyone can have access to your e-mail address

Also, it can cut down on bandwidth usage having it the way you mentioned.

(subscribing just to see this new e-mail notification)

Friday, October 03, 2008 8:25 PM
Im not a fan

*and theres your email Rob

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Friday, October 03, 2008 8:42 PM
Hmm... doesn't look all that different, plus gave your e-mail as the reply-to, Satch, also a link to your profile... so the reply function still works like it used to. Just a couple small changes, really...

Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:19 AM
Yea well Im stubborn you know this

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Saturday, October 04, 2008 5:17 AM
I don't think I've ever signed up for e-mail notification, I hate that @!#$.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 5:20 AM
Well after multiple emails ive grown to like it more eh still stubborn

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Saturday, October 04, 2008 7:37 AM
oh now Gmail is grouping all the threads together as one big conversation! This is getting real annoying!

Darkstars, I work nearly 65-70hrs a week, including pretty much every weekend. I don't have the time nor the energy to keep coming back to the site to check on this stuff.

IDK how you do it, cause from your posts, it seem as tho you have a pretty busy schedule as well.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 2:39 PM
This change is not merely cosmetic. There is a very good reason for it. Many spam blockers do not like to see an email coming from one domain (in this case j-body.org) with a different domain in the FROM address (in this case, whoever posted the reply). So to combat the fact that the JBO server can get hundreds of bounce-backs in a single month, I set it up so the FROM address is now @j-body.org.

I suppose I could tweak it so that the from NAME is still the original author. But for the sake of spam blockers all over the world, the from EMAIL needs to be @j-body.org.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, October 04, 2008 3:19 PM
Dave, I have noticed that sometimes I get stuff bounced back from people with old email addresses or sometimes responses are in my spam box.

I also didn't notice the reply too area. My sidekick doesn't show that but when I reply it werks out. Cool!

I will admit tho, I did like having the user names show up as the sender. If you could do that, it would be golden.

Tho, it seems that I'm only one of a few that find it to be an issue.

Thanks for clearing that up dave, again, strong werk!

Sunday, October 05, 2008 8:39 AM
I like the feature Dave, but would prefer it were set up to send me an email for EVERY reply to the thread like RaGiN said.

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Sunday, October 05, 2008 2:31 PM
The_TwStD_1 wrote:I like the feature Dave, but would prefer it were set up to send me an email for EVERY reply to the thread like RaGiN said.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. It *does* send out one email per reply. There currently is no "digest" mode. If there is a demand, I'll add that in the future.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Monday, October 06, 2008 8:57 AM
Darkstars wrote:I don't think I've ever signed up for e-mail notification, I hate that @!#$.

x2!!!

i just hit up my profile's forum button and look through the threads ive posted in if i have forgotten about any...

Monday, October 06, 2008 11:39 AM
z yaaaa wrote:
Darkstars wrote:I don't think I've ever signed up for e-mail notification, I hate that @!#$.

x2!!!

i just hit up my profile's forum button and look through the threads ive posted in if i have forgotten about any...

Yep, that is how I handle it as well.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search