98 gt w/ quad4 HO w41 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 gt w/ quad4 HO w41
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:45 AM
I purchased a 98 cav gt with a 93 2.3l quad4 HO in it. The car runs good however my electrical is a mess, the computer is from the original engine and I think thats what is causing my problems.. For one, when its warmed up It revs on its own when i put in the clutch (it will go to about 3000 rpm and then back to idle (seems like im revving my engine at everyone next to me at a stop light). The anti-theft sometime goes on when I try to start the car so it starts but then shuts off right away, also my check engine light is on all the time (this is to be expected of course), my highbeam indicator constantly flashes unless I turn the lights on. Just wondering if this is all due to the computer, and what kind of cost am I looking at to get a new computer in there wired up correctly? Anybody know someone I could call in the toronto area to do this?. Part of the reason I wanna do this is cause when I got the car it had an alarm system w/ a remote starter.. when the battery died so do the alarm and starter, I wanna get this fixed as well cause winter is coming.

Re: 98 gt w/ quad4 HO w41
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 11:54 AM
electrical messes are a pain...get full coverage and run it into a pole and be done with it

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 11:54 AM
Joking of course...

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:07 AM
i had the revving on its own deal in my 02 cavalier. i turned out to be a $15 throttle position sensor. while i was having that problem, my CEL was on as was my bright light indicator. for $15 try that and see what it does. then go find a code reader and see what else comes up.

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 9:04 AM
ok..first of call there is no such thing as a cavalier GT...theres a sunfire gt and a cavalier z24..so which do you have??
other than that if you really DO have a 2.3 HO quad4(and not just a 2.4 with a quad cover..make sure of this)
the computer than your SUPPOSED to be using is from a 1995 Z or GT ONLY ..cus they came factory with quad4 and they will run all the quad stuff as well as the rest of the car fine...
so first..what kind of car do you really have..second,make sure its a real quad, pics would HELP ALOT
and 3rd..find out which pcm you really have..cus you should have a 95 if you want it to work perfect..
got any pics???

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:08 PM
^^x2

"If you have no clue what's going on... STFU!"
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:41 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:ok..first of call there is no such thing as a cavalier GT...theres a sunfire gt and a cavalier z24..so which do you have??
other than that if you really DO have a 2.3 HO quad4(and not just a 2.4 with a quad cover..make sure of this)
the computer than your SUPPOSED to be using is from a 1995 Z or GT ONLY ..cus they came factory with quad4 and they will run all the quad stuff as well as the rest of the car fine...
so first..what kind of car do you really have..second,make sure its a real quad, pics would HELP ALOT
and 3rd..find out which pcm you really have..cus you should have a 95 if you want it to work perfect..
got any pics???

well since he did STATE that the motor came is from a 93 car... i highly dought its a 2.4 with a COVER on it. the 2.4 didnt come out until 1996. "1993 Chevrolet Beretta L4-138 2.3L DOHC QUAD 4 HO " is most likely the car it came from

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 9:42 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:pics would HELP ALOT

got any pics???

that.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:51 AM
AZ24Ncav wrote:
scott (section8cav) wrote:ok..first of call there is no such thing as a cavalier GT...theres a sunfire gt and a cavalier z24..so which do you have??
got any pics???

well since he did STATE that the motor came is from a 93 car... i highly dought its a 2.4 with a COVER on it. the 2.4 didnt come out until 1996. "1993 Chevrolet Beretta L4-138 2.3L DOHC QUAD 4 HO " is most likely the car it came from

typically when someone doesnt even know what kind of car they drive (cavalier gt) i tend to question their judgment on the engine as well.
and if it REALLY WAS a 93 swap it could very well be an LO quad for all we know, or not even a 93 quad at all. either way pics are a must if he wants any real help.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:41 AM
Yes, its a z24, I was 1/2 asleep when I wrote this... and I have a bad habit of saying GT cause my old car was a 85 fiero gt (laugh it up) and yes its a 93 2.3l quad 4 HO.... I'll post pics tonight, Im at work right now.
Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:19 AM
Brian Jacobs wrote:Yes, its a z24, I was 1/2 asleep when I wrote this... and I have a bad habit of saying GT cause my old car was a 85 fiero gt (laugh it up) and yes its a 93 2.3l quad 4 HO.... I'll post pics tonight, Im at work right now.

nothing wrong with a fiero gt...those were cool cars..i still likem if they are taken care of. we even accept fieros in our club here in centex

Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:30 PM
Ok guys, here is the car.. keep in mind it aint pretty, it isn't ment to be.. and yes I need to clean it up, replace the air filter etc.. one thing at a time and I am broke.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:42 PM
oh dude ... you got gols right there.. perfect starting point i would say . doesnt the h.o 2.3s put out somewhere around 190hp ?

Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:07 PM
h.o. ranged from 180 to 160 from 1990-1994 then dropped to 150 for the 1995 version. and the w41s boasted 190hp
Friday, October 10, 2008 1:36 AM
mmm... ...pretty.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:29 PM
Reprogrammed my alarm system and starter, works good now. Still having the issue with the revving though.. Took a good look at my intake filter 2, needs to be replaced, Its missing a center peice or something cause its a clear shot to the manifold in the center of it..... so basicly been running with no filter since i put the car on the road last week, can't be good. Could the horrible intake filter cause the reving problems?, I can't see how. I still say it needs the proper computer anyway, scott mentioned I should use a 95z computer... arnt those from the LO quad 4s? does it not make a diff?... I have no idea.. I thought I was gonna havta put in one from a barreta GTZ which is where I believe this engine is from... and that sounded scary cause It will probably have to be completly re-wired ... I am hoping the 95z pcm would be just a simple swap.

Forgive my ignorance, Im a noob.
Friday, October 10, 2008 7:12 PM
justin stinespring wrote:h.o. ranged from 180 to 160 from 1990-1994 then dropped to 150 for the 1995 version. and the w41s boasted 190hp

garbage. get it right. HOs never had less than 170 hp, and didn't exist past 94.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 10, 2008 7:13 PM

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Friday, October 10, 2008 8:08 PM
^^^^ your right my bad. the '94s had 170hp. and i know the HO wasnt built in 1995 but the quad4 itself was. words just didnt transfer from my brain to the keyboard right. but long live the quad!!!!! friggen love that engine
Friday, October 10, 2008 8:25 PM
ok...the good news, thats a real PRE95 quad4 engine and COULD be a real HO....
the bad news..that inatke manifold looks like an LO version..which causes doubts onto whether its an HO or an LO with the ho cover..and why is your MAP sensor so jacked uP??? see those unused holes on the inner two runners
of the intake manifold?? thats where you map sensor is supposed to bolt to ..with a 1/4" or so hose going straight down to that vacuum nipple right below it..
as far as the 95 pcm ..it WILL work,whether its an ho or an lo ....keep in mind i have a BUILT HO quad in MY car and i STILL use the 95 Z pcm to run it without a single issue.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:58 AM
... I had a sinking feeling that was the case.... any other way to tell?, any chance its is LO manifold on a HO engine?... SOB.........
Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:13 AM
Well there is always that chance, but why would anyone want to do that?

Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:41 PM
^^^^mabey they wanted/needed an intake manifold and grabbed one at a junkyard not knowing?????
Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:21 PM
I don't want to be an even darker cloud, but I spy the GM reman'd engine tag on top of the timing cover there...

99% of all GM remanned 2.3s I've come across in my life have been LO quads. That might just be my dumb luck, or it might be because they sold a bunch more remanned LOs than HOs. I kind of wonder if dealerships downsold to new 2.3 LOs as a cure for the headgasket woes?

/late night ramblings, and don't take any of that for fact.

The TeamGreen guys might be the best help to you.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:33 PM
is there any way you could measure your crank pulley diameter?? or get us a pic of it?? that will help identify it too.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:19 AM
thats not the L.O. Mani Scott its looks nothing like mine the L.O. mani had another spot between first and second flange on the manifold in which someone would put the PCV valve line in, and the map sensor is in the wrong position to be the L.O. MAP sensor goes into the middle slot where it looks like he has the PCV connected.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search