Top speed - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Top speed
Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:48 PM
Top speed for a 2.2 '99 Cavalier?

I have a '99 Z24 that I know stops at 108, but for the most part I wanted to know where the non-2.4 motors stopped?

Thanks.

D.L. P.S.- I "searched" and didn't find...which is why I posted.

You Must Be Fast, 'Cuz I Was Haulin' Ass When I passed You!!!
1999 Cavalier Z24 w/ Toyota Cavalier tail lights.
1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type
1983 Buick Regal T-Type

Re: Top speed
Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:54 PM
you didn't find it because every topic like this gets locked.
The limiter is there to protect idiots like you that want to go that fast on a public highway.
IBTL

Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:56 PM
108, All 3rd gen Js are governed at 108. Dont ask how to remove it, no one will tell you. It's in the rules of this site. Basically if your car can go faster then 108 in the 1/4 mile, you would know how to get around it.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:22 PM
...guys, he just asked how fast it would go...he doesn't even have this engine...he has the 2.4...he just wanted to know if his car was set to go faster than the other cavi's...no need to get rude...he was just asking. personally though, i don't get why ppl want to remove em...thats freakin scary driving(if you're not on a track, which i don't do)...only did it once driving at 108, and it was a road i know was gonna have noone on it, and i almost pissed myself...never ever ever ever ever again on the street. nothing bad happened...just scary to do(and yea, i was dumb, and did it with stock everything...see, now this is something you should be saying is a retarted ass thing to do)
Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:16 PM
SLOCAV wrote:you didn't find it because every topic like this gets locked.
The limiter is there to protect idiots like you that want to go that fast on a public highway.
IBTL

and your a bigger idiot then him ... he didnt even ask how to remove it . all he asked was the top speed. stop jumping the gun.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:22 PM
honestly man,
think about it. Most topics that even mention the speed limit of a J deal with the removal of it.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:22 PM
Whatever the speed limit is (+/- a few).

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:28 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Whatever the speed limit is (+/- a few).

Indeed.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:29 PM
from his profile he doesnt even have a 2.2... he most likely only wondered if they went to 108... think about it "MAN" this isnt most topics

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:34 PM
righttttt

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:58 PM
SLOCAV wrote:you didn't find it because every topic like this gets locked.

I reckon this will be the next...

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member

Monday, January 19, 2009 8:16 AM
HPT is a wonderful thing

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, January 19, 2009 10:00 AM
SLOCAV wrote:

Indeed.

X 2! my truck is governed at 63, so QUITCHERB!TCHIN'!

I've had people ask me how fast my Cav can go. I tell 'em "I don't know and I don't CARE! It's an economy car!"

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Monday, January 19, 2009 5:32 PM
When did he ask how to remove it? People love to bash on this site, that's y i always come back to watch the bickering, kinda like a Jerry Springer show.

Monday, January 19, 2009 5:34 PM
Drag it to death wrote:When did he ask how to remove it? People love to bash on this site, that's y i always come back to watch the bickering, kinda like a Jerry Springer show.

I'm sure sooner or later it'll be asked

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Monday, January 19, 2009 5:54 PM
just let it die.

Monday, January 19, 2009 5:59 PM
.... Well with all that being said. I would also like to know how fast a cav could go on the track. the top speed of the engine and transmission. and fyi i already know how to #$%!&%$# the $%# $#%@%&#. So now just curious. and once you go that fast for a while it dosnt seem like @!#$. and 60mph feels like a grandma on a walker. so dont give me that @!#$ about you almost pissing yourself your a pussy. how is it any different on a track then on a real road are there some special angels that protect you at the track its just as scary.

now that im done bashing. i would gestimate that the l61+f23=(in the neighborhood of 160) and im sure its the same for the older models give or take. This is with of course proper suspension and safety upgrades. going that fast your going to need a cage.
Monday, January 19, 2009 6:02 PM
1LowCav wrote:
SLOCAV wrote:

Indeed.

X 2! my truck is governed at 63, so QUITCHERB!TCHIN'!

I've had people ask me how fast my Cav can go. I tell 'em "I don't know and I don't CARE! It's an economy car!"

63, damn. I didnt know that any were governed that low. I get passed by a lot even when Im going 65, my normal long drive highway speed is 60.

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:05 PM
Speyer 09 wrote:.... Well with all that being said. I would also like to know how fast a cav could go on the track. the top speed of the engine and transmission. and fyi i already know how to #$%!&%$# the $%# $#%@%&#. So now just curious. and once you go that fast for a while it dosnt seem like @!#$. and 60mph feels like a grandma on a walker. so dont give me that @!#$ about you almost pissing yourself your a pussy. how is it any different on a track then on a real road are there some special angels that protect you at the track its just as scary.

now that im done bashing. i would gestimate that the l61+f23=(in the neighborhood of 160) and im sure its the same for the older models give or take. This is with of course proper suspension and safety upgrades. going that fast your going to need a cage.

u sir are stupid...why make such a useless post.... first you bash then you add to the nonsense...retarded if you ask me. if you know how to do what is needed, then do it, wrap urself around a tree and be done with it...

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:15 PM
HPT showed 106 for my 04, but given that speedos are not accurate from the factory (federal standards allow a +/- 2% variance, IIRC), 108 would also be an accurate answer as well.

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:15 PM
Well sir i have already done that thank you it was fun almost died. actually managed to wrap it around a tree upside down. Wont be doing that again. going fast is dumb unless you are on a track. i never said he should go out and go 180 on the highway. your not only endangering your life but everyone elses around you. but if your on the track your only endangering yourself. so go for it. i say he gets up to 120-130 stock before the wheels rip to shreds and he rolls it to his grave. but if he wants to and your not going to be harmed why the @!#$ not. i believe you sir are the idiot

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:24 PM
wow just wow... thats all i gotta say.

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:29 PM
Speyer 09 wrote:

If its a stock L61, not a chance in hell.

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:29 PM
mechanical limit of the F23 transmission at 7000rpm with 205 50 r 15 tires is:

1st Gear 34.62 MPH
2nd Gear 61.36 MPH
3rd Gear 91.81 MPH
4th Gear 126.47 MPH
5th Gear 179.63 MPH

aerodynamic limit for stock power output is probably around 120mph

electronic limit is 108mph

the real limiting factory is aerodynamics. a couple high powered cars here run up to 120-130mph int he quarter mile.

108 is plenty for stock since it takes so long to get there. Not until you mod the tires, suspension, and double or triple the horsepower do you really need to worry about limiters.
accelerating for long periods of time with a slow-ass car (read: stock jbody) IMO is way more dangerous then getting there quickly with a car that can do it easily, and handle the speed.

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:31 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:mechanical limit of the F23 transmission at 7000rpm with 205 50 r 15 tires is:

1st Gear 34.62 MPH
2nd Gear 61.36 MPH
3rd Gear 91.81 MPH
4th Gear 126.47 MPH
5th Gear 179.63 MPH

aerodynamic limit for stock power output is probably around 120mph

electronic limit is 108mph

the real limiting factory is aerodynamics. a couple high powered cars here run up to 120-130mph int he quarter mile.

108 is plenty for stock since it takes so long to get there. Not until you mod the tires, suspension, and double or triple the horsepower do you really need to worry about limiters.
accelerating for long periods of time with a slow-ass car (read: stock jbody) IMO is way more dangerous then getting there quickly with a car that can do it easily, and handle the speed.

this man knows what he is talking about. i would take his word for ALMOST gospel.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search