Top speed - Page 2 - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: Top speed
Monday, January 19, 2009 8:04 PM
see now why couldnt someone have posted that as the second post i think that it would have answered the question perfectly. thank you flyin skwirl.

Monday, January 19, 2009 8:47 PM
to clarify...
(since I believe this was the OPs question "what is the limit of non 2.4 engines?")

obviously, the aerodynamic limit is going to be different for the weight, trim level and horsepower of the actual car in question.

OHVs are going to have the lowest limit for stock output.. I think the skwirl couldn't best 105mph with the OHV.. believe me I tried.
eco and 2.3/2.4 are going to be somewhat similar. I think they get stuck at about 118-125mph

the skwirl back in its n/a hayday topped out at 128mph. got there in a hurry, but once I was over 100mph acceleration was hindered BIG time.

more power = easier to generate speed.

transmission gearing and RPM limits is what dictates overall hypothetical top speed (has anyone had a Jbody go 170mph+? its doubtful..)
but overall power and aerodynamic drag are the biggest factors.

Personally, I take the top of 4th gear (or whatever the closest 1:1 ratio is) as your absolute limit.
Overdrive gears aren't great for accelerating (talking about drag racing here).

but regardless, all OBD2 3rd gens are electronically limited to 108mph

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:08 PM
I keep reading that we're limited to 108. But I took a stock 98Z with stock tires and no mods to 120+ in my young and dumb days. I didn't remove the limiter. My wife just verified this happened. So what gives?

---

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:16 PM
the stock speedo goes to 110. so how do you know you were going 120+?

sounds like bs to me.

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:23 PM
We were screwing around with our friends in a 95ish Z28. It was their report and my speedo was buried, that's why we asked them.

---

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:16 AM
if it was governed, there is no way you hit 120. his gauge may of been off.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:23 AM
I had a 79 CJ5 with 40 inch tires and the 258 straight 6. I didn't have a govenor, and the fastest I could get it going on a straight line was 65 miles an hour. Slightly faster downhill. It was slow getting there, but I could go over boulders and cars with it.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:29 AM
why does everybody cry when people ask about the speed limiter? THE GUY DIDNT ASK HOW TO REMOVE IT.

I believe I can see the future... as I repeat the same routine....
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:35 AM
chevy should have made it an option.........The "Suicide" button. LOL...... why are people so butt hurt on here. seriousally most of the people on here need to go to walmart and get some tampons the value size there going to need them.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:44 AM
sorry. i guess it would be a switch not a button my bad
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:58 AM
People get bent out of shape because it is a legality/safety issue. The car was never intended to go faster than what GM limited it to. If you need to go faster on a track you will know how to get there without someone on telling you in an open forum. In my dumber days I did go beyond the factory limiter and was very lucky I was never caught doing it or hurt someone else. At the same time, the last excursion I took to the track did result in trap speeds that did require bypassing the limiter. My car was also setup in a manner that made it safer than stock at those speeds.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:08 AM
mitdr774 wrote:People get bent out of shape because it is a legality/safety issue. The car was never intended to go faster than what GM limited it to. If you need to go faster on a track you will know how to get there without someone on telling you in an open forum. In my dumber days I did go beyond the factory limiter and was very lucky I was never caught doing it or hurt someone else. At the same time, the last excursion I took to the track did result in trap speeds that did require bypassing the limiter. My car was also setup in a manner that made it safer than stock at those speeds.

yes, what my fellow truck driver said! The speedo on my '87 only goes up to 85, and back in my younger days when I first got the car (I was 19, the car was a year old) I buried the needle once on a flat, straight 4-lane highway that was empty. Kept it there for a couple minutes and let it drop back down.

It also comes down to liability; say so-and-so told you how to do this 'mod', an accident happens, someone gets hurt, they sue. The one who told you how could get sued, like McD's got sued for someone getting burned by hot coffee. I'm not saying it will happen, but in this day and age, with all the lawsuits for everything, you never know!

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:57 AM
Quote:

OOOPS! my bad! I thought you were another truck driver for some reason!

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:06 PM
I drive slow on the highway compared to other traffic.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:25 PM
i <3 the jbo

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:32 PM
I think the simplest answer to the question is that all of the 3rd gen J-bodies should be governed at the same speed, regardless of engine. Some will just get up to that limit faster than others.

I haven't bothered to see if my 2200 will even come close to that - here in lovely Ontario Canada we can now lose our license, have our car impounded, and face up to a $10,000 fine for anything more than 50km/h over the speed limit (considered to be street racing) - so it's not bloody likely I'll ever test it out to see. Since my car is a base model with no sway bars, I find anything over about 75MPH is already too fast for predictable handling - especially with my squishy 14" snow tires adding to the fun in this wonderful season...
John

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:08 PM
To the idiots who can't seem to answer a simple question and jump to conclusions...thanks for the help! Congratulations! You're useless.

I don't want to take out the governor. I don't want to exceed 108, I already know how, my brother is a mechanic. Thanks anyway!

I got a speeding ticket for 84 in 65. If you live in Massachusetts, and drive on I-93, then you KNOW this ISN'T fast. There have been times I've done 85 and gotten passed by a state trooper doing 95 and pulled over a car 4 cars ahead of me doing the same speed as everyone else was.
This cop was just being arrogant. So much so, he claimed I was "definitely on something" and felt the need to search me and my car. I don't use drugs, I don't drink and drive...if speeding is my only vice, then so be it, but don't search me and my car because your having a premonition.
On the ticket he didn't claim the car was a Z24, so if a 2.2 has a lowered governed top speed, I'd like to know what it is. (As of right now, I haven't gone through the post, because I was irritated with the first response. Nice job "Slocav". They should give out rewards for being a dips#!t...You'd win 1st prize!

ANYWAY, thanks to everyone who came to my defense, and to anyone who might have answered. Now that I have this out of my system, I'm gonna go back and read the posts.
It's funny how I own two other cars, and the sites for those cars don't have the arrogant smart-a$$es that this site seems to have. (You now who you are!) Surprisingly, those of you that I'm talking about, should be on the Honda websites. Most GM owners are pretty cool, but I guess not all of them.

~D.L.~

You Must Be Fast, 'Cuz I Was Haulin' Ass When I passed You!!!
1999 Cavalier Z24 w/ Toyota Cavalier tail lights.
1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type
1983 Buick Regal T-Type
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:30 PM
So I've gone through all the post, and you guys have been quite helpful...thank you to those with positive input.

Slocav, I'm not sure what drove up your a$$, but you might want to get that looked at.

I don't exceed the speed limit by more than 20 MPH at a time. Since I drive this route EVERYDAY, I tend to know where the cops like to hangout. This particular night, he had just got done with a traffic stop on the other side of a blind hill and that's how I got stopped. He put up such an attitude, I believe the speed he wrote down was a guess-timate. On the ticket it says, "Radar" and "Estimated" I think he had radar set, but not on my car, more so on someone near me and he guess-timated my speed according to theirs. Which is still BS.
Because he wrote down that my car was just a cavalier and not a Z24, I figured like the difference between a 2.2 S-10 and a 4.3 S-10 "SS", there might be a considerable difference in top speed and I might be able to finagle my way out of it. In other words, my car wasn't capable of reaching 84 MPH.

~D.L.~

You Must Be Fast, 'Cuz I Was Haulin' Ass When I passed You!!!
1999 Cavalier Z24 w/ Toyota Cavalier tail lights.
1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type
1983 Buick Regal T-Type
Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:04 AM
Donny Lowrida wrote:I don't exceed the speed limit by more than 20 MPH at a time.

Really? That's too fast. You deserve a ticket, end of story.

And the fact that you are trying to 'finagle' your way out of it shows a lot about your maturity.

It really annoys me how comfortable people get with driving that fast on the highway, it's a good thing you got pulled over.

Pay your ticket and slow down.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:20 AM
Donny Lowrida wrote:blah blah blah... On the ticket he didn't claim the car was a Z24, so if a 2.2 has a lowered governed top speed, I'd like to know what it is. blah blah blah

you might have saved yourself quite a bit of bitching if you had explained your situation first, rather than leave a rather open and general post. maybe.

Donny Lowrida wrote:So I've gone through all the post, and you guys have been quite helpful...thank you to those with positive input.

Slocav, I'm not sure what drove up your a$$, but you might want to get that looked at.

I don't exceed the speed limit by more than 20 MPH at a time. Since I drive this route EVERYDAY, I tend to know where the cops like to hangout. This particular night, he had just got done with a traffic stop on the other side of a blind hill and that's how I got stopped. He put up such an attitude, I believe the speed he wrote down was a guess-timate. On the ticket it says, "Radar" and "Estimated" I think he had radar set, but not on my car, more so on someone near me and he guess-timated my speed according to theirs. Which is still BS.
Because he wrote down that my car was just a cavalier and not a Z24, I figured like the difference between a 2.2 S-10 and a 4.3 S-10 "SS", there might be a considerable difference in top speed and I might be able to finagle my way out of it. In other words, my car wasn't capable of reaching 84 MPH.

~D.L.~

so you admit to going faster than the posted speed limit. guess what captain dip@!#$, that's speeding. duh. you got busted, just cause the cop didn't write down the trim of the car you were driving doesn't mean the ticket is magically going to get dropped. you're almost 33 years old, grow up.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search